Problem QE/CI Gigabyte GT 610 1GB GDDR3 macOS Sierra

asdesoso

38 posts in this topic

Hi, my GT610 on DP1 of Sierra it stucks at black screen, for start up OS X I need to use nv_disable=1, but in DP2 I need to Inject Nvidia and Generic NVIDIA Name to get it work, but there is a problem with FB, in this screenshot you can see the problem, I don´t know if the problem will be solved, I want to think yes.

Thanks for your attention.

post-1136757-0-92590400-1468235174_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my GT610 on DP1 of Sierra it stucks at black screen, for start up OS X I need to use nv_disable=1, but in DP2 I need to Inject Nvidia and Generic NVIDIA Name to get it work, but there is a problem with FB, in this screenshot you can see the problem, I don´t know if the problem will be solved, I want to think yes.

Thanks for your attention.

Hello there,

What system definition are you using in the SMBIOS? Are you using the native, so to speak, kexts? When you have a clean install of macOS Sierra, are you still seeing the screen in that way or there's no signal at all?

If your answer is, no signal at all, for the last question, then the information below could help you. 

I came to the conclusion, with @Slice's help, that the No Signal, aka Black Screen, issue is caused by the macOS Sierra' AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext.

One possible solution is to change the SMBIOS to iMac14,2. Another solution is to replace the MacPro3,1' board id, why is it even there?, with yours, in the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext's Info.plist file.

I'd assume that you know how to repair the permissions of a file and rebuild the cache.

*The above solution was generated with the GeForce GT 620.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Hello there,

What system definition are you using in the SMBIOS? Are you using the native, so to speak, kexts? When you have a clean install of macOS Sierra, are you still seeing the screen in that way or there's no signal at all?

If your answer is, no signal at all, for the last question, then the information below could help you. 

I came to the conclusion, with @Slice's help, that the No Signal, aka Black Screen, issue is caused by the macOS Sierra' AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext.

One possible solution is to change the SMBIOS to iMac14,2. Another solution is to replace the MacPro3,1' board id, why is it even there?, with yours, in the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext's Info.plist file.

I'd assume that you know how to repair the permissions of a file and rebuild the cache.

*The above solution was generated with the GeForce GT 620.

Best of luck.

I used iMac 14.1. I will try to iMac 14.2 or MacPro 5.1

Thanks for the info.

Best regards.

• 1 month later...

Hi - Did you get any further with this? I also have a GT 610 which has worked real nice up until Sierra but now when i come to install i have to do that with nv_disable=1 - I see there are real supported Mac's with a 6xx card so i would hope this still worked.

Any clues?

I have similar issues with my EVGA GTX 680 SC 2GB on my MSI Gaming M5 board (i5 6500 Skylake cpu). I'm able to install and boot macOS Sierra GM without issues on clover (17,2 SMBios and nv_disable). But if I enable the NVidia card, it doesn't send a signal to the monitor after booting. I'm using a DVI-I to HDMI adapter (I may try Dislayport to HDMI today). I also tried to boot with NVIDIA inject and with last sierra NVidia web drivers installed. same problem.

With Gigabyte GT-610 1GB and Asus GT-630 2GB system boot only nv_disable=1, after installing Web Drivers last relase and nvda_drv=1 system boot but at login stuck mouse. I can use it only with nv_disable=1 and without QE/CI and low resolution nothing 1650x1080

With Gigabyte GT-610 1GB and Asus GT-630 2GB system boot only nv_disable=1, after installing Web Drivers last relase and nvda_drv=1 system boot but at login stuck mouse. I can use it only with nv_disable=1 and without QE/CI and low resolution nothing 1650x1080

Same issue for me exactly and I have tried every guide out there. I am starting to think this card might be a no go in sierra.

Just tested it with macOS sierra GM. it works without disabling the nv card and nvda_drv=0 out of the over the HDMI port!. Web drivers are fine too with nvda_dvr=1 on the hdmi port. DVI-D and DVI-I ports are not working. Havent tried DP

What clover version are you using? My GT 610 still shutsdown the monitor when it should goto the desktop. I can boot with nv_disable=1 but that is not a solution. I have tried on the DVI and HDMI port and the result is the same. Are you doing anything else in your clover config to get this going?

Have you tried to access the machine in that state via VNC? This should answer the quetion if sth affects your USB or the GUI or if your pointer is really 'physically' stucked.

Have you tried to access the machine in that state via VNC? This should answer the quetion if sth affects your USB or the GUI or if your pointer is really 'physically' stucked.

Hi - no it really is 'stuck' - its like the desktop crashes. All you get is the very end of the MacOS loading icon and where the mouse pointer appears it then hangs up. You can SSH into the machine but VNC or anything using the desktop is a no no. I need a low profile GFX card so this 610 was perfect - I wonder if a 710 would work any better although its annoying if it really cant be made to work.

Hi - no it really is 'stuck' - its like the desktop crashes. All you get is the very end of the MacOS loading icon and where the mouse pointer appears it then hangs up. You can SSH into the machine but VNC or anything using the desktop is a no no. I need a low profile GFX card so this 610 was perfect - I wonder if a 710 would work any better although its annoying if it really cant be made to work.

I see. Afaik the 610 is a fermi so it has to be injected (/true in config.plist) but you may already did this. Plus some people are reporting to have a look in the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Info.plist and set your smbios board-id <string> to none. 

<key>ConfigMap</key>
			<dict>
				<key>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</key>
				<string>none</string>

where "Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86" is just the first entry, you have to search for your matching board ID that you used in the SMBIOS.

I see. Afaik the 610 is a fermi so it has to be injected (/true in config.plist) but you may already did this. Plus some people are reporting to have a look in the /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Info.plist and set your smbios board-id <string> to none. 

<key>ConfigMap</key>
			<dict>
				<key>Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86</key>
				<string>none</string>

where "Mac-00BE6ED71E35EB86" is just the first entry, you have to search for your matching board ID that you used in the SMBIOS.

Yep - tried all these things. As soon as i put my board ID into AGDP this is where the desktop 'hangs' just before it boots into it. All other types of work arounds end up up with the monitor sleeping. Cant believe a card thats been OOTB on everything upto Sierra all of a sudden cant be made to work, there are 'real' supported macs that have 6xx cards.

I've checked inject NVIDIA in clover and also tried the kext edit. None of them work.

As reported i'm unable to enter SSH, but no video, the boot process seems like stuck and I'm even unable to complete the shutdown/reboot via ssh.

Yes - if you edit the AGDP kext just as the window manager should kick in it crashes and so you get a 'freeze' on the last boot screen - The OS is booting in the background though which is why you can SSH in and its also why you cant VNC in, as the window manager is not functioning. Its a shame that at the moment the GT 610 is a no go as its been OOTB for everything before Sierra. There are Sierra supported Mac's with 6xx cards in them too so i am surprised this is taking so much trouble to get going. As it stands though i am stuck on El Cap for the time being unless anyone knows of a low profile card thats OOTB in Sierra, GT 710 maybe?

Yes - if you edit the AGDP kext just as the window manager should kick in it crashes and so you get a 'freeze' on the last boot screen - The OS is booting in the background though which is why you can SSH in and its also why you cant VNC in, as the window manager is not functioning. Its a shame that at the moment the GT 610 is a no go as its been OOTB for everything before Sierra. There are Sierra supported Mac's with 6xx cards in them too so i am surprised this is taking so much trouble to get going. As it stands though i am stuck on El Cap for the time being unless anyone knows of a low profile card thats OOTB in Sierra, GT 710 maybe?

I gave up trying to get GT 610 working in Sierra and bought a GT 710 (2GB) instead. So far it works OOTB.

I bought a GT 710 - Great news it seems to work OOTB from the installer! - Annoyingly in my Sierra install when the desktop should come up the display just goes to sleep again! It seems that as the card was not recognized during the install process, of Sierra, then its not being recognized now in the running OS. Any clues on that one?