Preview 4.1 (Leopard) for newer OS X versions 10.6+

naquaada

1 post in this topic

Hello,

Since more than eight years I have used Leopard and did a lot of graphics work. But not with Photoshop or else, just with Preview! This tool can be really good if you know how to use it. Unfortunately, it got worse in later versions. I need these main functions in a graphics editor:

- fast startable

- copy'n'paste of very small objects (no big grab points or animated selection frame)

- paste at the same position

- also paste at the same position from another pictures in other windows

- resizing of the pasted object possible

- color and text modifications

- PDF support

- printing without centering option

Preview 5.0.3 from Snow Leopard can work rather easy because it's just neccessary to copy /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MeshKit.framework. But this one has an annoying animating selection frame. If an object is copied from another image in another window, it will be pasted at the left bottom :-P They reduced the color modifications, and printing is only centered, not aligned to a side.

In newer versions of Preview a copied area will be only pasted centered, so they are abolutely unuseable for me.

Actually I spent a lot of time patching Preview 4.1. I modified the binary to use patched Frameworks from Leopard, now called ApplikationServices.framework, Quardz.framework, QuardzCore.framework, CoreTexd.framework, Quycklook.framework, QuycklookUI.framework and more. It works, after every patch another error appears, but now it wants Addressbook.framework. What has the Addressbook to do with an image viewer ?!

Well, presume I can't port a complete Leopard subsystem just to get Preview working. Actually I'll keep another computer with Leopard for it... But this can't be a solution. Is there any way to get Preview 4.1 back to work on Snow Leopard 10.6 and newer? Is there somewhere the sourcecode available that somebody could compile me a new version? That would be awesome.

Yes, it's a weird problem, but if anybody could do this, it would be great. I also tested various graphics editors, no one matched Preview 4.1 yet. It's difficult to compare something what you were using for more than 8 years...

Greets, naquaada.