Experiencing issues with Hackintosh lately, seeking help!

2 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have lately been experiencing some issues with my desktop Hackintosh build, I built this system back early September, and it was pretty smooth until the last 4-5 months. I never got a chance to figure out how to resolve these issues because of work and school keeping me busy for the most part, but with a holiday weekend ahead and some days off from work, I figured I'd finally settle these issues. First off, here are my specs:

• Install Method: Clover Method
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4490 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
  • Storage: PNY - CS1100 240GB Serial ATA III
  • Video Card: Saphire Radeon HD 7950
  • Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
  • Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Bluetooth Device: Iogear GBU521

Now, onto my issues:

1. Every time I put my computer to sleep, and than wake it up the next day, its often a hit and miss whether apps will start crashing or not, or if I just have a random restart. Often, I also experience a hit and miss because of audio suddenly not working, even though I did all the steps to have it working after sleep. My issues with audio is experienced often when I use for instance, a Bluetooth headset, than revert back to my regular desktop speakers
  2. This last month, I have noticed whenever I shut my computer down, and turn it back on, the first time, I see nothing appear on my screen, even though all the fans and LED's are lit up. I have to manually power it down, and than press the power button, which is then when everything boots up and displays. Not sure why this is happening.
  3. I for some reason have issues with using my Bluetooth headset, for instance, when I enter a call on Google Hangouts, it just crashes, and the entire "Sound" application crashes, thus requireing me to reboot my computer, and having to plug something in manually. I am not sure if maybe I don't have a proper Bluetooth kext or something? Or maybe, I need a better Bluetooth device?
  4. I also want to temperature monitor my machine, I installed iStats, but it never displayed anything, and I unfortunately was having a hard time figuring out where the best place would be to to have it recognize all my hardware.
  5. I want to upgrade to the latest OS X version now, but for some reason am unable to do so. When I install El Capitan, and reboot to install it, it just hangs, and than reboots back to my desktop. Not sure what the issue could be?
  6. And lastly, as mentioned above about all my random restarts and app's crashing, I have saved all the "Apple Report" files, and can gladly share them here, if it is helpful. I literally have at least 20 - 40 of them (I am not joking!)

Just a question - my regular use of my PC is just programming (iOS, just getting into Android, and a lot of Data Science stuff. I also work with CAD which I use on my Windows partition, and some minor photoshop here and there. I am confident that my hardware is still good enough, but is it time still to upgrade the Motherboard, or CPU? I really don't want to spend money on anything for another year (maybe cooling system?) as everything seems to work fine for me just now. But in terms of Hackintosh reliability, and everything working 100%, is this still a good to go setup for another year, or two?

Thanks y'all! :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

1.  You shouldn't be using sleep.  Disable all sleep functions in the motherboard's bios menu.  Then in the mac system preferences, set it to "prevent computer from sleeping when display goes to sleep" and uncheck box to "put the hard disks to sleep when possible."

2 & 5.  You will need to create a new installer with el capitan and perform a fresh install.  As far as I know you can't upgrade different operating systems.

3.  Sounds like a problem with your bluetooth device or the patch, might wanna try a new one.

4. Not sure about this one.

As far as upgrading, it depends on what you need.  In looking at your build the first thing I'd recommend is a SSD to improve the boot up time and read/write performance.