Weird login behaviour

10 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

Having gotten through my change of mobo a few weeks ago, and tweaked things a little further, I've noticed a strange quirk.

For some reason, every time I boot up my hack, it doesn't seem to keep settings for these 2 areas:

1) Little Snitch repeatedly asks me to allow traffic for certain applications, despite me having explicitly allowed traffic from them to certain ports (e.g. allowing Photos to visit anything with apple.com on 80/443)

2) Despite my adding and amending items in my login items under my user profile (Sys prefs->users & groups->user->login items), it will not "remember" the applications I add/remove.  I noticed this after discovering that alfred wouldnt load at login despite "ticking the box" that says load at login

It's as though the above are being written to RAM and not the SSD drive?  Could anyone offer a suggestion??  I 've attached my config.plist (as a .txt) if that might help??

Thanks

config.txt

Hi Folks,

Having gotten through my change of mobo a few weeks ago, and tweaked things a little further, I've noticed a strange quirk.

For some reason, every time I boot up my hack, it doesn't seem to keep settings for these 2 areas:

1) Little Snitch repeatedly asks me to allow traffic for certain applications, despite me having explicitly allowed traffic from them to certain ports (e.g. allowing Photos to visit anything with apple.com on 80/443)

2) Despite my adding and amending items in my login items under my user profile (Sys prefs->users & groups->user->login items), it will not "remember" the applications I add/remove.  I noticed this after discovering that alfred wouldnt load at login despite "ticking the box" that says load at login

It's as though the above are being written to RAM and not the SSD drive?  Could anyone offer a suggestion??  I 've attached my config.plist (as a .txt) if that might help??

Thanks

Hello there,

First of all, I'd recommend reseting the NVRAM.

If that doesn't help, then boot without caches and rebuild them using the command below. Use it with caution as it can break your OS.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

You could open the Disk Utility and run the first aid function on the Mac OS partition as well.

In addition, use one of the below, not both.

<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
<true/>

<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>

And

<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0</string>

dart=0 - keep it only if the system won't work without it.
kext-dev-mode=1 - is not used in El Capitan.
rootless=0 - is not used in El Capitan.

*I assume the format of the config file is plist and not txt.

Best regards.

Awesome - thanks.

I can figure the later tips - this may sound ultra-noob, but how do I reset the NVRAM?

And yes, it was my config.plist. I had to rename to a .txt as the forum upload wouldn't allow .plist extension....

Awesome - thanks.

I can figure the later tips - this may sound ultra-noob, but how do I reset the NVRAM?

And yes, it was my config.plist. I had to rename to a .txt as the forum upload wouldn't allow .plist extension....

You could use the command below which will delete all the nvram variables.

nvram -c

Or you could display all the variables and check if there is something that could cause those problems.

display variables in xml format
nvram -xp

delete variable
nvram -d "variable key name" (without quotes)

Best of luck.

Hello there,

First of all, I'd recommend reseting the NVRAM.

If that doesn't help, then boot without caches and rebuild them using the command below. Use it with caution as it can break your OS.

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/ && sudo kextcache -Boot -U /

You could open the Disk Utility and run the first aid function on the Mac OS partition as well.

In addition, use one of the below, not both.

<key>FIX_RTC_20000</key>
<true/>

<key>AppleRTC</key>
<true/>
<key>Arguments</key>
<string>dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0</string>

dart=0 - keep it only if the system won't work without it.
kext-dev-mode=1 - is not used in El Capitan.
rootless=0 - is not used in El Capitan.

Hi

I did the nvram commands, saw entries with gibberish, couldn't see anything that made sense, so just did nvram -c  

Rebooted, same issue with orphaned login applications (i.e. listing apps no longer present, so showing an exclamation in a yellow triangle)

I then looked at config.plist and removed the boot args as suggested (all of them - boots fine).  Also removed the AppleRTC entry in config.plist (on the basis that the FIX_RTC_2000 comes earlier as a DSDT entry) - do I need to try swapping the other way round (i.e. delete FIX_RTC and put back in an entry for AppleRTC)?......

Finally, I went nuclear and tried the cache rebuild command (cautiously! :ninja: ) and rebooted, but still the same problem.  One thing that did change was the clover skin on bootup......also, it didn't reboot by itself - had to reboot manually...

Question 1: Is it worth deleting the variables one by one in nvram (as per your suggestion)?

Question 2: I'm running Clover v3320 - should I update?

Question 3: My clover Preference pane looks like the attached - should I change anything?

post-621537-0-34751100-1467355789_thumb.jpg

Hi

Hello there,

I then looked at config.plist and removed the boot args as suggested (all of them - boots fine).  Also removed the AppleRTC entry in config.plist (on the basis that the FIX_RTC_2000 comes earlier as a DSDT entry) - do I need to try swapping the other way round (i.e. delete FIX_RTC and put back in an entry for AppleRTC)?......

FIX_RTC and AppleRTC are responsible for bios reset on reboot. If there's no reset on reboot it means that the FIX_RTC is doing it job, therefore there's no need for AppleRTC.

Finally, I went nuclear and tried the cache rebuild command (cautiously! :ninja: ) and rebooted, but still the same problem.  One thing that did change was the clover skin on bootup......also, it didn't reboot by itself - had to reboot manually...

Clover's skin changed because its config variable is stored in the NVRAM, the NRAM was cleared so a new, default, variable was created in the NRAM.

It's not intended to reboot automatically, it even says please reboot.

Question 1: Is it worth deleting the variables one by one in nvram (as per your suggestion)?

Question 2: I'm running Clover v3320 - should I update?

Question 3: My clover Preference pane looks like the attached - should I change anything?

A to Q1: No. It was suggested to do one or another.

A to Q2: It's recommended to run the most recent version, because it has improvements from which you can benefit.

A to Q3: I'm not familiar with clover Preference pane.

You didn't try the other option though, First Aid function in disk utility.

If nothing helps, you should probably do a repair from recovery. It won't delete any personal files or applications, if you proceed correctly.

• Boot into Recovery.
  • Select the Repair option.
  • Select the partition on which Mac OS is installed.
  • Wait.
  • Restrat.
  • Boot into Mac OS partition as you would normally do.

If you think that my advices could harm you or your computer, then wait, maybe someone will suggest something better.  :) 

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Clover's skin changed because its config variable is stored in the NVRAM, the NRAM was cleared so a new, default, variable was created in the NRAM.

A to Q2: It's recommended to run the most recent version, because it has improvements from which you can benefit.

If nothing helps, you should probably do a repair from recovery. It won't delete any personal files or applications, if you proceed correctly.

• Boot into Recovery.
  • Wait.
  • Restrat.

If you think that my advices could harm you or your computer, then wait, maybe someone will suggest something better.  :) 

Best of luck.

Hi again

Really appreciate the guidance - and sorry, forgot to say that i also ran diskaid

A to Q1 - point taken, thanks for clarifying

A to Q2 - updated Clover  :)

A to Q3 - no problem

I'll reboot with new clover first, then I'll try your recovery suggestion....stay tuned

:thumbsup_anim:

Oh-oh, KP - think i updated clover and missed a setting (only ticked optio2)post-621537-14673607087966_thumb.jpg

• Boot into Recovery.
  • Wait.
  • Restrat.

Best of luck.

Hi again

Really appreciate the guidance - and sorry, forgot to say that i also ran diskaid

A to Q1 - point taken, thanks for clarifying

A to Q2 - updated Clover  :)

A to Q3 - no problem

I'll reboot with new clover first, then I'll try your recovery suggestion....stay tuned

:thumbsup_anim:

Oh-oh, KP - think i updated clover and missed a setting (only ticked optio2)attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1467360833.094167.jpg

The kernel panic is caused by a ACPI config in your config file. It may be the UseUARTFrequency.

Yes, changed. Now default is False. If you want to use it you should write <true/> explicitly in config.plist.

For most people it doesn't needed and leads to cracked sound.

Try different options in config.

Off topic, use nvda_drv=1 or nv_disable=1 not both.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm resurrecting this as none of the tips seem to work.

Would having an SSD drive be part of the problem here?  Also noticed a couple of things that might be relevant:

1) When my hack awakens from sleep, Little Snitch "nags" me for permission to allow apps to connect to sites - often the same apps that I'd previously allowed pre-sleep

2) My blu-ray drive's light triggers every couple of minutes or so whilst asleep and awake

Above all, I'm keen to try and fix this issue of login items and little snitch rules getting "forgotten" every reboot or wake.  Would be really grateful for any (additional) help

• 2 weeks later...