Working WiFi in Sierra?

8 posts in this topic

I'm tempted to buy the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WiFi card. It's been a favorite of hack users for sometime now. Wondering if it works in Sierra. It has worked in all OS's so far. 

My third party Airport PCIE card which has worked great for a long time in OSX refuses to work in Sierra. It took a lot of work to even see the card in Sierra. It uses the Broadcom BCM 4318 chip don't know which Apple kext supports it inside IO80211Family.kext. I'm about to give up on it and buy the above card if it works. I suppose my card could work with future updates of Sierra but no idea. thanks for any help.

I'm tempted to buy the TP-Link TL-WDN4800 WiFi card. It's been a favorite of hack users for sometime now. Wondering if it works in Sierra. It has worked in all OS's so far. 

My third party Airport PCIE card which has worked great for a long time in OSX refuses to work in Sierra. It took a lot of work to even see the card in Sierra. It uses the Broadcom BCM 4318 chip don't know which Apple kext supports it inside IO80211Family.kext. I'm about to give up on it and buy the above card if it works. I suppose my card could work with future updates of Sierra but no idea. thanks for any help.

I wouldn't spring for another card yet. The WiFi drivers in Sierra are still changing, so its possible your card will start working in the future.

Even though I posted a patch for the BCM94352Z WiFi card in Sierra, I am hopeful that the patch will not be needed in the final release.

Either that, or your PCI-E card could benefit from the same patch.

• Like 1

Thanks, I've tried to find the right place for the patch can't find this on my machine:

Kext: AirPortBrcm4360
Find: 81F952AA00007529
Replace: 81F952AA00006690

looked through the KEXT after making all files show and package contents etc. 

Am I missing something or ? thanks

Its for the Broadcom plugin kext located at: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext

You haven't given any details about your third party Airport PCI-E card though, so unsure if this patch will do anything for you.

Thanks, I've tried to find the right place for the patch can't find this on my machine:

Kext: AirPortBrcm4360

Find: 81F952AA00007529

Replace: 81F952AA00006690

looked through the KEXT after making all files show and package contents etc. 

Am I missing something or ? thanks

The AirPortBrcm4360.kext is a plugin for the IO80211Family.kext.  Use the patch in Clover (using Clover Configurator) or see Darkvoid's original post that has the code you can use with PlistEditPro or TextEdit.  

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312759-fix-macos-sierra-dp1-bcm94532z-wifi/

Its for the Broadcom plugin kext located at: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext

You haven't given any details about your third party Airport PCI-E card though, so unsure if this patch will do anything for you.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Your location for the kext was what I was trying to relate. I had no luck finding the numbers to replace in this location using Text edit. 

My card is the: Broadcom Cor. BCM4318 Airforce One 54G. It has worked great up to and  including El Capitan.

thanks for any help

I was trying to patch the kext directly. I now see it needs to be done with Clover configurator. thanks

I tried making the patch in Configurator. Got the info typed in where I thought  it should go. I couldn't figure out what to do next ??

• 3 months later...

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Your location for the kext was what I was trying to relate. I had no luck finding the numbers to replace in this location using Text edit. 

My card is the: Broadcom Cor. BCM4318 Airforce One 54G. It has worked great up to and  including El Capitan.

thanks for any help

I was trying to patch the kext directly. I now see it needs to be done with Clover configurator. thanks

I tried making the patch in Configurator. Got the info typed in where I thought  it should go. I couldn't figure out what to do next ??

Don't.

I have an Asus-WL-138g-v2 (BCM4318) which works good with El Capitan. When I upgraded to Sierra the card was not recognized and everything got mixed up when I installed that old kext. Complete shuit down after 20 seconds and reboot.

Never ever install it in S/L/E!

I doubt that it will work with Clover.

• Like 1