Patch for using NVMe under macOS Sierra is ready.

1,382 posts in this topic

If can't work with the kextstopatch, than I doubt that the patched kext can do better. So no, nothing that I can advice

Off course, supposing that you removed all patched kexts and the vanilla kext is there.

I am trying to use Plextor m8pe but without success. I tried changing pci vendor ids with rehabman's hackr kext with no luck. Tried also NVMeP both in 10.12.0 and 10.12.1 again nothing. Will try with -a but I don't think it will work. Any ideas. Can someone help?

Thanks

I have the same card (Plextor m8pe) SystemInfo showing something but in disutility is no present. 

post-916820-0-77798800-1478021625_thumb.png

post-916820-0-84567000-1478021638_thumb.png

I guess your bios cannot boot from nvme. Check if there is an update enabling nvme (pci express) boot.

As it turns out, you are right. Intel stopped support for their motherboards long ago and there isn't a way for me to boot from the nvme.

In addition, neither MS or Intel has released a way for nvme drives to be detected in Windows 7, so looks like I'm screwed. I should have done more research.

I have the same card (Plextor m8pe) SystemInfo showing something but in disutility is no present.

Exactly my case. Where is the right picture from?

As it turns out, you are right. Intel stopped support for their motherboards long ago and there isn't a way for me to boot from the nvme.

In addition, neither MS or Intel has released a way for nvme drives to be detected in Windows 7, so looks like I'm screwed. I should have done more research.

Just boot clover from another drive and point to boot the partition of the nvme. Setup everything on the other hd. This is what I have been doing with my system till now. I was booting from a hd and point my raid setup to boot.

Yes there is. Your going to have to mod your bios. I've done it successfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly my case. Where is the right picture from?

Just boot clover from another drive and point to boot the partition of the nvme. Setup everything on the other hd. This is what I have been doing with my system till now. I was booting from a hd and point my raid setup to boot.

DPCIManager 

DPCIManager

I have the same output but without the wrong Id remark

I have the same output but without the wrong Id remark

If can't work with the kextstopatch, than I doubt that the patched kext can do better. So no, nothing that I can advice

Off course, supposing that you removed all patched kexts and the vanilla kext is there.

Is there an explanation of what every patch does, so I can check them all with my hardware?

Check out Win-Raid.com. There are instructions on how to include a bios module that is essentially the Nvme driver from Clover into your bios and allow your system to boot from your Nvme drive. Though I'm not sure if your bios is compatible for this procedure to work and its a risk but it worked for me. Only thing is Windows 7 wont work only Win 8.1 and above. So maybe just boot from a second Sata drive is the right approach in your case but I got to say its really cool to be able to boot Sierra from my Intel 750 nvme drive on an unsupported Z68 Motherboard!

No idea. But run NVMeP cost nothing and in truth I cannot understand why you want an extreme hack on a beta build that could change soon. No one will try for you, me not for sure ;) .

build 16B2657 is not a beta.  That is what I got stuck with from mac app store.  I haven't updated since Yosemite.  Because 10.11 wouldn't work with monitor overclocks.  So far sierra works but anyways I'm stuck with build version 16B2657 and you mentioned at one post you had to add build version (on post 421) to your patch so I asked does they 2.4 beta2 patch work with build 16B2657.

I'm a bit confused where to start.  I have Sierra updated and running fine for past week on a SATA SSD.  My NVMe slot is disabled on my RIVE so I can boot.  I wipe the Samsung 950 pro when I get NVMe working, then cloning this sata SSD install.  What is best route to keep patched nvme kext in clover or patch the vanilla driver each update.  All the tutorials start with installing on a NVMe.  I don't need to install just need to boot without panic then clone the drive.

I realized this later, I was thinking you was speaking about some version of 10.12.1 beta,  but thanks to Apple there are two final builds of the same version (that to me sound incredibly stupid).

What to say, I don't have this build to test with while I've added 16B2657 to NVMeP 2.5 available on my github repo to allow the KextsTopatch, otherwise wont work due to the unmatching MatchBuild key (that is just a protection to disallow patches in Clover if the OS build version does not match ... and so protect your data if you by mistake update to a new version).

The aim of patching a kext is to mantains your system working after an update (old kext may works too), while the kextsToPatch can fail if the binary no longer have the same binary occurences to be founded with the risk of a filesystem corruption ... that happened to me more that once during tests making NVMeP (typos importing Pike's patches). And is also why I don't plan, shortly, to try  "16B2657" and done all from scratch again.. 

@magnifico gave me the new kext yesterday, and today I'll take a look on it w/o grant anything. 

• Like 1

I realized this later, I was thinking you was speaking about some version of 10.12.1 beta,  but thanks to Apple there are two final builds of the same version (that to me sound incredibly stupid).

What to say, I don't have this build to test with while I've added 16B2657 to NVMeP 2.5 available on my github repo to allow the KextsTopatch, otherwise wont work due to the unmatching MatchBuild key (that is just a protection to disallow patches in Clover if the OS build version does not match ... and so protect your data if you by mistake update to a new version).

The aim of patching a kext is to mantains your system working after an update (old kext may works too), while the kextsToPatch can fail if the binary no longer have the same binary occurences to be founded with the risk of a filesystem corruption ... that happened to me more that once during tests making NVMeP (typos importing Pike's patches). And is also why I don't plan, shortly, to try  "16B2657" and done all from scratch again.. 

@magnifico gave me the new kext yesterday, and today I'll take a look on it w/o grant anything. 

Thanks for the detailed response.  now I understand why build versions are in the patch.  I'm still not sure what route I should take if I'm already booting and only want to clone the NVMe drive.  Should I patch and delete it from s/l/e and add it to clover or will the patch work in config only with vanilla nvme in s/l/e?

I got 900 mb/s on my Z68 gen 2 board. Try another slot maybe.

Yeah, i try different slots... still same. It suppose to have read about 2000MB/s. It seems that the macOS NVMe driver does not work with this SSD too well  :(