Considering upping dual-boot to include Mac.

coyoteawooo

4 posts in this topic

I'm considering upping my 2 OS system to three, since I recently played around with some audio software (QLab specifically) and some graphics/drafting programs I really liked.  But they were all Mac specific and proprietary Fort Knoxes.  I have plenty of processing power and, trust me, I will never fill the TB my laptop came with, so why not make it an OS trifecta?

The thing is, now I'm running into the problem of having an AMD processor, when almost everything I read says you absolutely, positively MUST have an Intel.   I've checked some other forums and they're all, "No, I totally put a Mac OS on a PC with an AMD processor one time," but then are not the least bit helpful about actually doing it.

Here's the real trick.

I have no idea what anyone is talking about.  I can tell you this about my computer.  It is a Dell Inspiron.  It has a AMD Quad-Core APU with 12GB RAM and 1TB storage.  If you want to know anything else about my computer, you'll have to tell me where to find it, or at the very minimum what it is.  If it wasn't on the side of the box, I don't know.  I'm more than happy to do the research, but if I don't know what to look for, I can't be expected to find it.  Just like I can't be expected to know the answer if I didn't know to ask the question.

I know that sounds super rude, but I just want to be clear.  I want to know if this is a thing that is even possible.  If you say, "Well, I'd have to know if your video card is compatible. What kind is it?"  Okay.  I can find that (Radeon TM R5, btw).  I know what a video card is.  If you give me a string of capital letters, don't get pissed when I say, "I don't know what that is."  I'm not being sarcastic.  I literally do not know what "WE-TFUJT" stands for.

So, if anyone actually feels like being helpful (unlike the last three forums) I would actually be super grateful.  If you're just going to spout mumbo jumbo at me and then be all mad when I don't speak a foreign language, then go ahead and report me.  It'll save me a lot of trouble.

Well, welcome here!

Unfortunately, your system is unsupported as it runs an AMD APU, essentially a CPU-GPU mashup by AMD as a response to Intel's HD Graphics.

It would boot OS X using a hacked kernel (APUs on desktops do), you won't be able to get Quartz Extreme/Core Image (QE/CI), which is hardware accelerated graphics. This means that you won't be able to fully unleash the Mac experience (lags everywhere and nothing that uses a GPU will work e.g. games).

On desktop computers, you could install an extra GPU and hook up to it, but not laptops.

I've looked everywhere for a solution (as a friend of mine has a HP laptop with a APU), but found nothing.

I'm deeply sorry.

Edit: AMD APUs are unsupported as Apple Inc. never built real Mac computers using them, and as a result, did not implement code to support such hardware (why would they?)

• Like 1

Your reply was actually extremely helpful, Waseem.  Thank you!  All I have wanted is for people to give me answers in a language I can understand, and you did that.  I appreciate it.

But considering what you had to say, I do have a follow-up. I don't game.  I don't animate.  I don't care about these things (aside from today's Red v. Blue marathon at the gym.  But it's RvB, come on.  Besides, I don't make it, I *watch* it).  The programs I would be using are more like 2-D visualizations (think CAD, but I'm not spending all that money) or QLab, which is an audio program.  I'm not concerned with the "accelerated graphics... Mac experience."  Is there a way to do it if I'm not concerned with sacrificing the high end of the graphics spectrum?

Like I said, people keep telling me they have done this, but when I ask how, they just tell me to Google it or check hackintosh forums, rather than saying, "Well, you need to know these things before we can even begin to discuss it.  So learn that and then message me."  If there's any way to do it, I'll gladly learn what I need to know.  I just really don't know where to start.

Either way, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in a way I can understand!!  You're my insanelymac hero!!

Your reply was actually extremely helpful, Waseem. Thank you! All I have wanted is for people to give me answers in a language I can understand, and you did that. I appreciate it.

But considering what you had to say, I do have a follow-up. I don't game. I don't animate. I don't care about these things (aside from today's Red v. Blue marathon at the gym. But it's RvB, come on. Besides, I don't make it, I *watch* it). The programs I would be using are more like 2-D visualizations (think CAD, but I'm not spending all that money) or QLab, which is an audio program. I'm not concerned with the "accelerated graphics... Mac experience." Is there a way to do it if I'm not concerned with sacrificing the high end of the graphics spectrum?

Like I said, people keep telling me they have done this, but when I ask how, they just tell me to Google it or check hackintosh forums, rather than saying, "Well, you need to know these things before we can even begin to discuss it. So learn that and then message me." If there's any way to do it, I'll gladly learn what I need to know. I just really don't know where to start.

Either way, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question in a way I can understand!! You're my insanelymac hero!!

Glad to see I helped somebody!

Well, I ain't sure whether you could actually play any videos, but you could try ...

I'd recommend you try OS X Mavericks at most; Yosemite and above feature complex animations that eat up your experience.

Then, download this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/255-amd-kernel-for-mavericks-109109110921093/

Instructions are in the link, but you can always ask if you need anything.

Sorry for the shorter reply; I'm a high school student preparing for my last year ...