OSX Driver for GTX 1080 aka 'Pascal'

_sam_

7 posts in this topic

Anyone have any inside information on when there will be an Nvidia OSX driver for the GTX 1070/1080 'Pascal' based cards?

I've got a new, very pretty looking MSI GTX 1080 Gamer Edition all setup and ready in my eGPU box just waiting for the driver for 10.11.5 to come out...

jZgugWO.jpg

• Like 1

Might be a long wait - from the time of initial Maxwell release to supporting NVIDIA web drivers being released for OS X was about 6 months.

Hard to know when (and if) it will happen.

What do you think would be the best way to get Nvidia interested and engaged in releasing drivers for this?

I have tweeted at Nvidia directly here: https://twitter.com/s_mcleod/status/746027244846358528

Note: I'm not talking about supporting the configuration, just releasing a general driver, or developmental release / beta driver.

What do you think would be the best way to get Nvidia interested and engaged in releasing drivers for this?

I have tweeted at Nvidia directly here: https://twitter.com/s_mcleod/status/746027244846358528

Note: I'm not talking about supporting the configuration, just releasing a general driver, or developmental release / beta driver.

Most likely won't happen. They will be focusing their few macOS resources to the new version, so the best you can hope for is support in a Sierra beta web driver release. Soonest would be a month or two from now. As stated before normally its 6 months.

• Like 1

Would it in theory work under Windows if I was to install bootcamp?

Sorry I don't know the windows world well these days, do thunderbolt devices 'just work' like PCIe cards?

Would it in theory work under Windows if I was to install bootcamp?

Sorry I don't know the windows world well these days, do thunderbolt devices 'just work' like PCIe cards?

a small amount of research will tell you yes, pascal works fine under bootcamp / windows.  

Guest jonatrapezita

If you buy a new GTX 1080 gaming edition is because you want to play under windows, I assume that.

Why not to buy a graphics card that work OOB under OS X ?