Clover on real mac

Jief_Machak

132 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am trying to run Clover on a 2016 MacBook Pro. The purpose is to boot Windows with a modified DSDT to accommodate an external GPU.

I've installed Clover on a USB drive but it gets stuck on "...testing hardware..." and never starts. I can't seem to find a log or some way to determine what is going wrong. Any ideas?

Can Clover even load a custom DSDT for Windows? How?

Yes - you can put one in CLOVER/ACPI/WINDOWS.

The USB drive should be FAT32 formatted.

Set in config.plist

Boot->Debug=true

and catch /EFI/CLOVER/misc/debug.log

Thanks - it hangs on GetAcpiTablesList - debug.log attached. Any thoughts on what might be going wrong?

debug.log.txt

Update: I looked at the Clover source, and the freeze occurs here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/AcpiPatcher.c#l248

Line 248 successfully prints the debug message. Line 255 does not.

How does Clover handle exceptions? And where can I find out information about GetFadt() - this function is not present anywhere in the Clover repository, so I am assuming it is some sort of intrinsic - where can I find documentation?

Update: I looked at the Clover source, and the freeze occurs here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/tree/rEFIt_UEFI/Platform/AcpiPatcher.c#l248

Line 248 successfully prints the debug message. Line 255 does not.

How does Clover handle exceptions? And where can I find out information about GetFadt() - this function is not present anywhere in the Clover repository, so I am assuming it is some sort of intrinsic - where can I find documentation?

Line 983 at the same page.

Line 983 at the same page.

Thanks, I missed that. Just looked at the source of that function, and the functions it calls. Without deep familiarity in EFI and what is being done, very hard for me to tell why the freeze might occur. I can potentially try to compile and add more print statements to isolate the location, but that'll involve the nontrivial task of setting up a proper development environment. Before I do that, and idea off the top of your head on what the issue might be?

• 7 months later...

Make a small FAT32 (careful, no FAT16) partition. Put CLOVERX64.efi in EFI/BOOT and rename it BOOTX64.efi. I think that's all I've done. No need to install boot0 or boot1, mac will ignore them. Although you can do it if you want to boot your hard drive on Mac as well as PC (I have an USB drive install like this, very handy to have an emergency OS that boot everywhere).

If you format your hard drive on your Mac, you'll probably have an hybrid GPT partition. I remembered having problem to have all my partition correctly recognized. Use gdisk to switch to protective partition.

rEFit is just a efi file to put in EFI/BOOT, plus some config files, if I remember. So yes, from that point of view, it's similair.

Make a small FAT32 (careful, no FAT16) partition. Put CLOVERX64.efi in EFI/BOOT and rename it BOOTX64.efi. I think that's all I've done. No need to install boot0 or boot1, mac will ignore them. Although you can do it if you want to boot your hard drive on Mac as well as PC (I have an USB drive install like this, very handy to have an emergency OS that boot everywhere).

If you format your hard drive on your Mac, you'll probably have an hybrid GPT partition. I remembered having problem to have all my partition correctly recognized. Use gdisk to switch to protective partition.

rEFit is just a efi file to put in EFI/BOOT, plus some config files, if I remember. So yes, from that point of view, it's similair.

i need to change config.plist

i will put all 2 inside? 

All clover file goes into EFI/CLOVER as usual. You can duplicate an existing configuration or use the installer to create the EFI/CLOVER tree. Then, take the CLOVERX64.efi, copy it in EFI/BOOT and rename it BOOTX64.efi.

So in my new partition EFI can you tell me what i need to copy inside?

i am not good, sorry me

I'm not using the EFI partition. Leave that untouched.

Create a FAT32 partition. Name it what you want. Install CLOVER with the installer on this partition (Click customize, in 'bootloader' -> don't update MBR and PBR sectors. I think you don't need any driver). Then, take the CLOVERX64.efi, copy it in EFI/BOOT and rename it BOOTX64.efi.

• Like 1

No harm directly using the hard drive. If Clover doesn't boot. MacOS will still boot with the integrated Apple bootloader.

But yes, be able to configure Clover on a usb stick is important to test an update or a change of driver etc.

You can also test that in VMWare Fusion. Quicker than rebooting all the time, but VMWare configuration's not easy.