[Guide] unsupported real MacPro works with Sierra (Example of real MacPro3,1)

MacPeet

32 posts in this topic

post-1358580-0-31849200-1466449875.png   post-1358580-0-90250100-1466449920_thumb.png

This guide makes an installation of macOS 10.12 Sierra on a real MacPro3,1 or other unsupported Mac's or Hackintosh's possible!

Edit: Update for GM post #9

What we need for this:
Atom.app or Atom Beta.App
Flat Package Editor.app (from /Developer/Applications/Utilities/PackageMaker.app/Contents/Resources/)
Download Install 10.12 Developer Preview.app
post-1358580-0-42344300-1466449824_thumb.png

In addition:
(All files are intended for MacPro3,1, possibly you have a grudge here your BoardID)

USB flash drive creation ( 8GB / Created flash drive with the BaseSystem.dmg method! does not work with the createinstallmedia method! ):

1. Restore BaseSystem.dmg from the InstallShield Developer 10.12 Preview.app out of your Program Files folder with the disk utility on the USB flash drive

2. Delete the simlink packages under "/Volumes/USB/System/Installation/"

3. Copy the original package folder from the Install 10.12 Developer Preview.app to "/Volumes/USB/System/Installation/"

3.1 optional: install Clover (only for Hackintosh and this Method)

4. Replace the InstallableMachines.plist in /Volumes/USB/System/Installation/Packages/ with from Archiv1.zip

5. Replace the PlatformSupport.plist in /Volumes/USB/System/Library/Core Services/ with from Archiv1.zip

6. Copy the OSInstall.mpkg from /Volumes/USB/System/Installation/Packages/ to the desktop

7. Open this by right-clicking the Flat Package Editor
post-1358580-0-85838300-1466483059_thumb.png

8. Delete the file "Distribution" and replace with file from Archiv1.zip
(Previously open possibly this file with Atom.app and edit your BoardID after)
post-1358580-0-66357000-1466449850_thumb.png

9. Replace now the OSInstall.mpkg in /Volumes/USB/System/Installation/Packages/ with the file from the desktop

10. Now you can start, the Mac reboots with pinned Alt key and select your USB flash drive. Make here the installation on a free selected by you partition. The installation starts, then the computer reboots.

11. While it is booting Alt hold, so it will not boot into fresh Sierra. Instead, choose your example Capitan and ride high order.

12. Go here now in the Finder to the fresh Sierra HDD in /Volumes/Sierra/System/Library/Core Services/ and replacing there the file "PlatformSupport.plist" from the Archiv2.zip

13. That's it, do restart in the fresh Sierra and let the installation run through to the end.

Credits/Sources
InsanelyMac
root86
Slice for the Clover Bootloader
Developers of Atom.app and Flat Package Editor.app
and all the others

have fun
  • Like 14

I can confirm this method works :thumbsup_anim:.

I use a MBP5,1 SMBIOS for my XPS M1530 laptop and added its board id (Mac-F42D86C8) to the InstallationCheck(prefix) section while removing MacBookPro5,1 from the nonSupportedModels section of the Distribution file.

Another workaround (possible in hacks but not on real Macs) is to temporarily change your SMBIOS to a supported model to allow installation on the hard drive eg  MacBook6,1 post#3.  Once the installer has completed putting all the OS files on the target partition for Sierra, you can boot into another OSX partition and change the SMBIOS back to MBP5,1 or whatever you normally use.  Note that as a minimum, your processor must support SSE4 - Penryn and newer Intel processors.

Attached files work to allow MBP5,1 definition for the installer.

MBP5,1.zip

• Like 5

All I did was the following:

1. Remove drive from Mac Pro

2. Install Sierra straight from the App to Mac Pro's disk using your supported Mac/ hack

- I used a USB3 to SATA3 adapter

- If using a Mac can also be done with target disk if you have Thunderbolt to Firewire cable

- If using a hack just plug it in internally

3. Modify PlatformSupport.plist to include Mac Pro's identifier and board ID

- The one from El Cap is probably fine

4. Plug drive back in and boot normally!

• 2 weeks later...
Another workaround (possible in hacks but not on real Macs) is to temporarily change your SMBIOS to a supported model to allow installation on the hard drive eg  MacBook6,1 post#3.  Once the installer has completed putting all the OS files on the target partition for Sierra, you can boot into another OSX partition and change the SMBIOS back to MBP5,1 or whatever you normally use.

Hello fusion17au !

I've successfully installed Sierra on my Dell D830 laptop after replacing it's old T7700 C2Duo by a T9300. Everything's fine so far.

I changed the SMBios from MBP5,1 to MBP7,1 to perform installation. Then I tried to revert back to the old MBP5,1. The OS is happy with that but Clover is not !

When I use this SMBios, Clover won't boot because of :

Reason : Mac-F42D86C8 (which is the Board ID of the MBP5,1)

I need to change it in config.plist (and only this) to Mac-F222BEC8 (MBP7,1) so Clover accept to boot the system. Otherwise, no way.

This is not a big deal since it works fine using this workaround or by simply using the normal MBP7,1 SMBios but I would like to know if you experienced the same minor issue with yours and how you bypassed it ?

Also, I was a bit concern about how the change of a SMBios would impact on some aspects of the Power Management. In this case, I guess they're probably negligible but you know, just wondering :).

NB : This is only happens with Clover, not with Enoch. I guess it"s because the limitation is coded somewhere in the boot.efi that Clover reads when it loads OS X. Enoch does not care about that file so it won't complain :unsure:

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi @polyzargone,

Thanks for the info. 

Actually, I use the Board-ID, MLB and ROM from a MBP6,2 for iMessage purposes (but MBP5,1 SMBIOS "ProductName") so I haven't noticed this anomaly.

AFAIK, power management depends on the SMBIOS "ProductName" chosen in Clover's config.plist and not the Board-ID so I think you should be OK continuing to use MBP7,1 Board-ID with MBP5,1 SMBIOS :).

PS

• Did you replace PlatformSupport.plist in /Volumes/Sierra/System/Library/Core Services/ with one that contains your MBP5,1 board-id Mac-F42D86C8?
  • Some guys in this MacRumors thread reported bypassing the compatibility check by adding the -no_compat_check boot argument to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

my real MacPro3,1 now works with macOS Sierra GM 16A322

Update: my real MacPro3,1 now works with macOS Sierra 16A323

post-1358580-0-87203600-1474022154_thumb.png

help these tools: post-1358580-0-06039000-1474206288.gif

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

http://dosdude1.com/sierraswupatch/

optional:

real MacPro3,1 and HD5770 - GPU-Powermanagement-Patch (only german): https://www.root86.com/blog/40/entry-55-how-to-natives-amd-gpu-powermanagement-einschalten-auf-macpro31-41/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update to 10.12.1:

post-1358580-0-74362300-1477815050_thumb.png

Without dosdude stick, but installed as a direct update from the store.
Start AUSEnabler.app (see dosdude link) and change the catalog and the update is already displayed in the appstore.
Simply start and run.
There were no problems.

Update to 10.12.2 DP1 16C32e:
direct update from the store
no problems

Update to 10.12.2 DP2 16C41b:
no problems

Update to 10.12.2 DP3 16C48b:
no problems

• 3 weeks later...

No, nothing is known to me.

Change to better CPU with Sierra Support (SSE4).

Update to 10.12.2 DP Beta 4 16C53a:
direct update from the store via AUSEnablerSeed
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.2 16C67:
direct update from the store via AUSEnablerProduction
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.3 DP Beta 1 16D12b:
direct update from the store via AUSEnablerSeed
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.3 DP Beta 2 16D17a:
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.3 DP Beta 4 16D30a:
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.3 16D32:
direct update from the store via AUSEnablerProduction
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.4 DP Beta 1 16E144f:
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.4 DP Beta 2 16E154a:
no problems, works

• 3 months later...

Update to 10.12.4 DP Beta 3 16E163f:

no problems, works

Update to 10.12.4 DP Beta 6 16E189a:
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.4 DP Beta 7 16E191a:
no problems, works

Update to 10.12.4 DP Beta 8 16E192b:
no problems, works

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings, I have just received an 8-core 2,8GHz MacPro3,1 with 6GB ram and 8800GT but *without* a hard disk so whatever I do I have to start from square one.

Which method should I follow so eventually I have a MacPro3,1 running Sierra? Start with ElCap?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I upgraded my real MacPro 2008 from the ATI to Nvidia 8800 graphics card few years ago, is there any power management tricks needed for this graphics card?  Do you think there may be some incompatibility for apps running on this hardware with Sierra such as Logic or Final Cut etc etc?  I never upgraded from 10.9 since I have Maya, Cinema Studio 4d , adobe after effects and so on because I was not sure if any OS upgrades may break my current setup.

I can confirm this method works :thumbsup_anim:.

I use a MBP5,1 SMBIOS for my XPS M1530 laptop and added its board id (Mac-F42D86C8) to the InstallationCheck(prefix) section while removing MacBookPro5,1 from the nonSupportedModels section of the Distribution file.

Another workaround (possible in hacks but not on real Macs) is to temporarily change your SMBIOS to a supported model to allow installation on the hard drive eg  MacBook6,1 post#3.  Once the installer has completed putting all the OS files on the target partition for Sierra, you can boot into another OSX partition and change the SMBIOS back to MBP5,1 or whatever you normally use.  Note that as a minimum, your processor must support SSE4 - Penryn and newer Intel processors.

Attached files work to allow MBP5,1 definition for the installer.

I can actually start the install of Osx 10.12.5 for my Quad Core 2 Duo with MacPro3,1 as you suggest change the smbios system definition to one that is supported. In my case when I try MacPro4,1 I get a kernel panic from AppleTyMCEDriver and found a clover patch for this but it doesn't seem to work on the installer.  If I choose iMac12,1 or 13,1 I can get to the installer desktop my my USB ports are all dead even with Rehabman USBInjectAll injector kext.   My only other way is to install on a supported mac make modifications for my Gigabyte board GA-G41m-ES2L  v3 and delete that driver or try the patch after the install, then insert the drive back.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

@oSxFr33k,

Can you boot the installer in safe mode with MacPro4,1 SMBIOS?

Maybe create the installer by the "restore BaseSystem.dmg method", remove AppleTyMCEDriver from the installer's /S/L/E and rebuild kernelcache as described in this thread for the El Capitan Installer (should still work for Sierra).

Good Luck!

• Like 1