[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Ok, then post your clean DSDT (as zip file) and poste pictures from the DPCIManager from the tab "Status" and "PCIList" !!! I'll see what I can do. Ioreg would be good too.

Here the pictures and dsdt 

Got it :D.

It's 0x68E01002 not 68E01002 !

You can upload files by zipping them and using "More replay options" button.

I all ready tried with 0x 

DSDT.aml.zip

post-1192536-0-46900800-1483554717_thumb.png

post-1192536-0-22140600-1483554726_thumb.png

I've read you can overclock these Optiplex (I have the 760) with SetFSB. Is there something comparable within OS X to do this?

I want to replace the CPU with a E8600 and 8GB of DDR2 (probably PC2-5300 not PC2-6400)

I also bought an EAH5450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

The only overclocking utility for Mac that I know of works with MacPro and xServe, and only on 10.5 :(

http://www.zdnet.de/39192217/exclusive-zdnet-overclocking-tool-enhances-performance-of-mac-pro/

Pin-mod to raise the FSB is the only other option, but the E8600 is already 1333MHz FSB which is the highest you can go on 755/760/780 (Q45 chipset limitation).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?232678-E8xxx-Q9xx0-FSB-1600-pin-mod

Okay thank you, if it's not even possible to raise the FSB on the E8600, then it's easy. Just keep it standard :)

I have the Optiplex 760 SFF btw.

One last question. I want to add a second drive (SSD) but I don't want to loose the optical drive. What's the best alternative solution to add a second drive? Can I use the eSata port for this?

Is the eSata port bootable? And can this eSata port power the SSD drive?

The drive I want to use is an 128GB mSata SSD. I don't think there are eSata <-> mSata cables so I also need to buy an mSata>Sata adapter

Should I use a regular eSata cable?

31dEueV54GL.jpg

Or can I better take one with an additional usb cable (for power I assume):

WK-0064.jpg

I want a second drive for more storage and I guess it will make it more easy to make it dual-boot (Windows + OS X). But I don't know yet if I want to have OSX on the SSD or Windows.

(I don't have the computer here atm, so I have to work with the info I find on internet)

Hello. I have a question for you all. I have manege to install Sierra using you're guide. I used you're DSDT because I have a msi ate radeon 5450 graphic card. My question is  how do I make my boot logo in full resolution because it is stretched . I have a dell optiplex 755 wit a22 legacy bios

Thanks folks for this very profund guide. I did upgrade my Dell 780 El Cap backup drive with Sierra with the files provided in the first post.

Things are looking good except for the TP-Link TL-WN851ND WLAN. Of course I added the strings in the plist and let Kext Utility do its thing.

The Dell´s WLAN is on, but it it does not see my WLAN hotspots.

Am I missing something obvious?

El Cap and earlier do work with equal hardware of course.

Try AtherosWiFiInjector.kext from post #1 with original IO8211Family.kext.

AtherosWiFiInjector.kext in EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12/ (or others, if you did not create 10.12).

post-1358580-0-00557600-1484586359_thumb.png

TP-Link TL-WN851ND works well with Sierra.
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot my friend. Obviously I did miss something obvious.  :yes:

My backup Dell 780 has a HD 6350 which seems to be akin to the 5450 using the same frame buffer.

El Cap did not like the 6350 at first shot and I soon gave up, as that box is just seldom running and with W10 usually.

Do you have any insight about a 6350 and Sierra?

10.9.5 finds this device:

post-762190-0-11355400-1484670462_thumb.png

Works  like a charm again thanks to your hint.

I must have over read the kext inject thing.

I´ll clone the Sierra instance and try it with the backup 780 one of these days.

Won´t be a big thing to swap the graphics card eventually, it was good enough for 10.9 and W10 though.

I'm a bit off topic, but I would need help on ADI1984A on my dell T3500.

Please let me know if continue here or to move in a new topic.

Basically I have used the guide on post 1 for the Optiplex 780 to install Sierra on my Dell T3500. Works perfectly.

I edited DSDT taking inspiration from modification MacPeet did on 780 DSDT, config.plist as well.

Everything seems ok, except audio.

I'm testing last appleALC, LayoutID 11 

I have volume control, but no sound, either on headphone or on standard out.

Other appleALC file (for 755) and other LayoutID not working at all (no volume control, speaker on the bar stay grey).

I don't want to use voodoo.

Please let me know if I can post ioreg or other things.

Thanks

@vdv I too faced the same issue on my 790 sff and it took me quite a long time to figure it out. The 790 has the same Audio codec as your T3500 and no matter what I tried I could never get audio to work on the rear green speaker port. But if you plug your speakers into the headphone port in the front, sound will work beautifully. Try it out and let me know because I use the same AppleALC.kext for audio. It must be a bug relating to that audio codec or some sort where the ports must've switched or reversed.

Make sure you play around with the output tab and see which one outputs sound for you.

@Blaggah: Thanks for reply. Do you mean using AppleALC for the 780 layout 11, just changing back output with front headphone?

Or AppleALC for the 790 layout 28, just changing back output with front headphone?

Frankly speaking I haven't tried the the AppleALC for 790 cause on the web I found 790 is using ALC269Q, not ADI1948A.

I'll give a try anyway.

For sure the 755 was not working.

@MacPeet: is there any guide/way to learn how to work on the AppleALC to fix it for T3500?