[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

Ι confirm that macOS Sierra doesn't work with EVGA GT210 (this particular model: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P3-1313-KR) neither with HDMI nor with DVI-D (black screens) . Works with VGA  :w00t: and probably must works with DVI-I . Its unbelivable but this Gpu prefers analog ports instead digital ports with sierra. I tried with and without nvidia web drivers at 2 different monitors. A samsung 16:10 1680X1050 and an LG Ultra wide 21:9 2560X1080. The same card on El capitan worked like a charm until 1920X1080 (Not with 2560X1080) from digital outputs. 

Just for feedback in case you think about to buy an EVGA GT210.  

@PTCruiserGT Which means that each card has a different rom bios from the other and the have different behaviour. Also my card has 1GB ram your has 512 MB. My memory bandwith is 9,8GB/s yours memory bandwith is 4,8GB/s

Your card is veru close to the original GT120 card from Mac Pro 4.1 GT120 is a rebranded GT210. So macOS Sierra beleives that you have the original GT120 gpu from the Mac Pro 5.1 and it works like a charm. You are lucky. Take a look at the specs of the original Apple card they are exactly the same https://www.cnet.com/products/nvidia-geforce-gt-120-graphics-card-gf-gt-120-512-mb-series/specs/

I have a problem installing on the Optiplex 780, please help me.

I have successfully created a Sierra install usb, used it to install on a different computer. But when installing on the Optiplex, when clover menu loads and I pick the first option boot from Install Sierra Mac, it loads up with a white stop sign immediately instead of the apple sign. It then makes the Optiplex go to sleep or hibernate. On resuming the computer reboots.

On searching the white stop sign problem, many complained of an apple sign showing then changing to the stop sign halfway, but on mine it is the stop sign immediately, there is no apple sign.

How can I get past the white stop sign?

I installed the latest clover Clover_v2.3k_r3773 on the usb stick with the 5 customized settings laid out in the OP, copied the 4 kext files in the OP zip file to the EFI 10.12 folder, had the usb drive formatted to Mac Extended Journaled and GPT file system, and reset bios settings to default, none solved it. Is it possible the newest clover is incompatible with the Optiplex 780?

Do I need to add some boot flags or change config file (none of which are mentioned in the OP guide) to get it working?

​edit: When put in -v boot arg, it is saying the MacOS version is not compatible with my computer.

​Reason code F22788A9

What CPU do you have in your Optiplex?

​Q9400

​I believe the CPU should be compatible.

​I am using the Optiplex onboard video, could that be incompatible? There is no graphics kext in the zip file here.

Macbook 4,1 max supported OS is 10.7.5 Lion... Use iMac 10,1 SMBios or use whole Clover folder from this guide.

I used Clover Configurator to import the config file, generated new values for iMac 10.1, and exported back to the clover USB.

Now the installer progresses but stops at a bunch of ACPI problems. A ACPI "bios warning (bug): Incorrect checksum", followed by a panic "unable to find driver for this platform: \ACPI\"

​What do I do?

I copied the DSDT\Generic folder to the usb stick ACPI folder, but it made no difference. Did not replace the whole Clover folder with the one in that guide you linked, because that old Clover folder looks out of date for El Capitan not Sierra.

​My Optiplex has Q43/Q45 video chipset, is that supported?

The Optiplex onboard graphics will not work with Sierra, you need an external PCIe graphics, example HD5450 or others.

Bios settings are ok (AHCI and other)?

​Yes BIOS has AHCI turned on.

​I think it is the onboard graphics not working :(

​I have an old ATI 3450 low profile I can put in the Optiplex, but cant find the kext for it, I see you have kext for 5450, can convert it to my 3450?

The ATI 3450 is too old. Buy a HD5450, but no kext is necessary. The HD5450 works alone with DSDT entry.

Which DSDT file need to copy for the 5450 to work?

​Why recommend the 5450 and not other graphic card, is 5450 specially good for Optiplex with Sierra?

I used Clover Configurator to import the config file, generated new values for iMac 10.1, and exported back to the clover USB.

Now the installer progresses but stops at a bunch of ACPI problems. A ACPI "bios warning (bug): Incorrect checksum", followed by a panic "unable to find driver for this platform: \ACPI\"

​What do I do?

I copied the DSDT\Generic folder to the usb stick ACPI folder, but it made no difference. Did not replace the whole Clover folder with the one in that guide you linked, because that old Clover folder looks out of date for El Capitan not Sierra.

​My Optiplex has Q43/Q45 video chipset, is that supported?

Just a few things to add,

Always use Clover Configurator for editing config.plist at the moment. There is much smaller chance to mess something up than editing flags in Text Edit.

Don't  copy DSDT/Generic folder, but instead copy DSDT.aml from Generic or HD5450 (depend on GPU) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

P.S. Stop thinking that old .zip folder from Optiplex El Capitan topic is outdated, it is not. Just copy all the .kexts to 10.12 also.

• Like 1

Don't  copy DSDT/Generic folder, but instead copy DSDT.aml from Generic or HD5450 (depend on GPU) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder.

P.S. Stop thinking that old .zip folder from Optiplex El Capitan topic is outdated, it is not. Just copy all the .kexts to 10.12 also.

Thank you for correcting me! I like you.

The DSDT correction fixed my problem, after putting the DSDT.aml file rather than the directory in /patched folder, there is no more ACPI error.

What does copying the old .zip folder from Optiplex El Capitan topic do? I still have not done it in fear of ruining my Sierra USB installer, which took hours to make.

Now that Sierra installs on the Optiplex, is there a way to make my Intel Q43/Q45 integrated graphics work at full resolution? It is stuck on low resolution now.

Putting graphics problem aside, is there a way to fix the slow USB on the Optiplex Sierra?

​Any USB drive I put in the Optiplex when running Sierra is slow. Takes 3-5 seconds to view each directory, does not get removed when choose to eject it safely, and when shutting down or restarting the computer, the USB does not dismount smoothly causing the shutdown and restart to hang for 30 seconds before it happen.

Can anybody please help me find out why I cannot change my audio id layout.

I appear to be stuck on layout 1.

Have been trying to follow MacPete's description but become stuck at point 6. Change LayoutID of 1 to 11 (DSDT HDEF 0B)

I had audio working with an alternate option but thought I'd try the appleALC route.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have just installed AppleALC.kext 1.0.16.release

Still no luck..

in DSDT under HDEF, see DSDT post #1

Device (HDEF)            
             {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x08)
                        {
                            "built-in", 
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }, 
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x0B, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00    //0B for AppleALC or 01 for old method
                            }, 
                            "PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (Zero) {}, 
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }