[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

im  currently running 10.11.6 with the gt610 which works perfectly im now wondering if i can use the appstore app to upgrade to sierra or wether i need to erase el capitan first.

furthermore i read about the gt 610 to lack sierra support. is this still true? 

@MacPeet

config.plist.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

thanks very much!

Update:

Installed Voodoohda + AppleHDAdisabler on S/L/E with kext wizard..reboot...hdmi audio works!

2 UPDATE:

I can't use App Store! When try login..."your device or computer could not be verified"

Try fix by delete networks, null ethernet, etc etc, but don't works!

Delete Voodoohda + AppleHDAdisabler

Delete realtekALC.kext if still present
AppleHDA.kext must be original (S/L/E)

DSDT.aml -> I have changed to LayoutID 13 (0D)

config.plist -> I have deleted LayoutID 1. I have created ROM / MLB. For Appstore LAN must be en0.

AppleALC and Lilu in your Clover Kext folder (EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12 or /others)

After finally fixing everything else I tried to set up mpv with hardware acceleration, but I always get "failed to init videotoolbox decoder: -1313558101".Apparently VDA was dropped in 10.11 so I guess the driver for this card doesn't support VideoToolbox? In Chrome video decode is supposedly hardware accelerated but in media-internals I can see that it's using software too.Actually performance is good using software decoding but I'd rather use hardware.Anyone else having similar problems?

If anyone else is having this problem, I solved it by changing SMBIOS to iMac14,2.It seems I finally got everything working, a week before 10.13 comes out  :hysterical:

• Like 1

@MacPeet

thank you so much! :wub:

I will try as soon as I have another free day because ... I did a disaster  :cry:

I tried installing windows in dual boot (I had already managed with el capitan) but something went wrong. Now I have to re-install all over again!  :wallbash:

What is the easiest way to do dual boot (same hard drive)?

What is the easiest way to do dual boot (same hard drive)?

1/ Format your drive using GUID partition scheme then make 2 partitions in Mac OS journaled

2/ install OS X on the first one.

3/ Prepare a Windows UEFI USB stick : [Guide] Dual-boot with Windows 10 - Legacy or UEFI

4/ Boot Windows's installer and erase the 2nd partition (make sure you don't select the Recovery HD (~ 650 Mb)

5/ Install Windows on it

That's pretty much all you have to do :).

You only need to install Clover on the stick if you don't have it already installed in the EFI of the drive. It's only necessary when your drive is blank. Also, keep in mind that you must use OS X Disk Utility to prepare the drive so you have a ~ 200 MB ESP partition. If you only use the Windows installer, it will create a ~100 MB partition which is not correct for OS X.

Still, there's something that you absolutely need to do : "copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot.  Rename the file to "bootmgfw.efi" and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak" as stated in the link.

You only need to install Clover on the stick if you don't have it already installed in the EFI of the drive. It's only necessary when your drive is blank. Also, keep in mind that you must use OS X Disk Utility to prepare the drive so you have a ~ 200 MB ESP partition. If you only use the Windows installer, it will create a ~100 MB partition which is not correct for OS X.

Still, there's something that you absolutely need to do : "copy bootx64.efi from the /efi/boot folder of the Windows ISO/DVD into /efi/microsoft/boot.  Rename the file to "bootmgfw.efi" and also rename cdboot.efi to cdboot.bak" as stated in the link.

I have windows 7 iso that is 4.57gb. I can't use fat32 on rufus, can i use NTFS?

@MacPeet

I reinstalled all from begin! Used your DSDT and tried ur config.plist

Now audio works, but only behind and front (detected when plug in headphones)...no HDMI :(

My DSDT and config.plist

Archive.zip

I think the rest works well!

My 780:

Core 2 Quad Q9550

8gb Ram

Gt 1030 Gigabyte  Here

Usb WiFi Edimax EW-7811Un 

GFXBench GL

post-1547010-0-44245800-1505069131_thumb.png

Next step: install windows 7 pro on Free Partition! 

@MacPeet

Unfortunately not works :(

Probably i will stay with the rear speaker...or reinstall VoodooHDA is a bad choice?

Now, to create Windows  UEFI Usb (for dual boot) can i use NTFS on rufus? Or i must use Fat32? 

Because my iso is +4gb larger..

Thanks a lot and sorry for too many questions, but i'm so noob  :(

@MacPeet

Unfortunately not works :(

Probably i will stay with the rear speaker...or reinstall VoodooHDA is a bad choice?

Now, to create Windows  UEFI Usb (for dual boot) can i use NTFS on rufus? Or i must use Fat32? 

Because my iso is +4gb larger..

Thanks a lot and sorry for too many questions, but i'm so noob  :(

I'm not sure if this is off-topic, however in order to create a UEFI install USB, you'll need a (GPT) Fat32 formatted USB, yeah. 

You could just format the USB through Rufus, mount the Windows 7 ISO and manually copy over its contents or you could format the USB through terminal or command prompt:

Terminal on mac:

diskutil list
sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 NAME GPTFormat /dev/disk#  (where NAME is the name of the USB and # is the number corresponding to your USB)

Command prompt on Windows: 

diskpart
disklist
select disk # (where # is the number corresponding to your USB)
convert gpt
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
active
assign
exit

Then mount your Windows 7 ISO and copy its contents over to your USB. 

If it's a 64-bit Windows installation:

On your USB, move efi/microsoft/boot to efi/boot 

Then go to sources/install.wim/1/Windows/Boot/EFI/, copy bootmgfw.efi to /efi/boot and rename it bootx64.efi

I'm not sure if this is off-topic, however in order to create a UEFI install USB, you'll need a (GPT) Fat32 formatted USB, yeah. 

You could just format the USB through Rufus, mount the Windows 7 ISO and manually copy over its contents or you could format the USB through terminal or command prompt:

Terminal on mac:

diskutil list
sudo diskutil eraseDisk FAT32 NAME GPTFormat /dev/disk#  (where NAME is the name of the USB and # is the number corresponding to your USB)

Command prompt on Windows: 

diskpart
disklist
select disk # (where # is the number corresponding to your USB)
convert gpt
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
active
assign
exit

Then mount your Windows 7 ISO and copy its contents over to your USB. 

If it's a 64-bit Windows installation:

On your USB, move efi/microsoft/boot to efi/boot 

Then go to sources/install.wim/1/Windows/Boot/EFI/, copy bootmgfw.efi to /efi/boot and rename it bootx64.efi

I create usb using your steps, but in Clover my keyboard don't works! 

I can select with mouse "Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot from USB", but when ask "tip any key to boot from usb or dvd device..." i can't :( 

Hmm…

I gave you this link : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306320-guide-dual-boot-with-windows-10-legacy-or-uefi/?do=findComment&comment=2132772

Why not follow it to the letter?

PS : It's not the "Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot from USB" that you need to choose but "Boot Microsoft EFI boot from Name_of_your_stick"…

Hmm…

I gave you this link : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306320-guide-dual-boot-with-windows-10-legacy-or-uefi/?do=findComment&comment=2132772

Why not follow it to the letter?

PS : It's not the "Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot from USB" that you need to choose but "Boot Microsoft EFI boot from Name_of_your_stick"…

First time i tried ur link (with rufus and MBR setting) but when i arrive in Windows Setup and select the free partition, i receive a  "Windows can't be installed on drive 4". 

Do you have an extra HDD in your Optiplex? If so, I suggest you unplugged it during the install process. Windows likes to be the only one :hysterical:!

No, i have only one! 

When install sierra, on disk utility i make 2 partition GUID partition scheme and mac os journaled (One for sierra and second is free to install windows).

If follow your link, with rufus i need set MBR... @ricoc90 said GPT....im so confused  :cry:

If follow your link, with rufus i need set MBR... @ricoc90 said GPT....im so confused  :cry:

Personally I always format as GPT, but MBR works as well.

- My keyboard turn off when join clover boot loader...why? 

- When i create USB with MBR, and launch it from clover...in Windows Setup i can't select the partition ("Windows can't be installed on drive ..")

- When i create USB with GPT, and launch it from clover...i can't tip any key to boot usb... 

Tell me If I'm too much Off topic, i will stop here

Have you erased and format the second partition?

Success! :D

I delete second partition on windows setup, so a new not allocated space is generate. Then i select this to install. Now I'm installing windows driver  :)

I didn't try this step until now for fear.... :unsure:

Why?...because First time that i try dual boot (a week ago) i do the same and make a no-bootable disk....BUT i think this happened because (a week ago) i use normal usb made with Windows tool!  <--- is this a possible explanation?  :rofl:

• Like 1