[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

* * * * * 2 votes Dell Optiplex 780 760 macOS 10.12 Sierra 755 790 990

• Please log in to reply
559 replies to this topic

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Or is Airdrop likely not to work on a 780 at all?

If I'm not mistaken, Airdrop is not supposed to work with USB BT dongle whatever the system definition you use. And if I'm not mistaken again, Airdrop has nothing to do with BT but with Airport support.

In other words, you must have native Airport WIFI for Airdrop to work.

billg66

billg66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

If I'm not mistaken, Airdrop is not supposed to work with USB BT dongle whatever the system definition you use. And if I'm not mistaken again, Airdrop has nothing to do with BT but with Airport support.

In other words, you must have native Airport WIFI for Airdrop to work.

Actually, that's not the case. Airdrop works perfectly on my other Hackintosh (see specs in sig) using a Broadcom Bluetooth/WiFi card. So, it CAN be done... but I'm not sure it can be done on the Optiplex...

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Well it just means that Airdrop works in WIFI. Not BT.

In fact, it works because the Broadcom Bluetooth/WiFi card you're using is seen as internal but when you use USB BT dongles they are seen as external. It's the same problem with USB WIFI dongles. They're seen as external so that's why they fails to connect to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID.

If you use the same Broadcom Bluetooth/WiFi card in your Optiplex, it will works fine. There's no reason at all it won't.

MacPeet

MacPeet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Airdrop also works with LAN (Terminal):
defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Airdrop has nothing to do with BT!

@for all

Update:

10.12.5 DP Beta 3 16F60a works     :)

new Night Shift - Patch:

http://www.insanelym...26#entry2398751

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

Thx for the tip ! Works perfect :D

billg66

billg66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Airdrop has nothing to do with BT!

Thank you so much for this, MacPeet! That Terminal code DID activate Airdrop on the 780! As for the BT, that was based on something I'd read on Wikipedia saying that Airdrop uses both WiFi and Bluetooth. But, then, it was Wikipedia, wasn't it?

My only issue now is that, based on additional research, I have learned that late-2009 iMacs only supported macOS to macOS Airdrop. My goal was to Airdrop from iOS to the Optiplex. So, I go back to my original question: is it safe to change my system definition in Clover Configurator to 14,2? Will this break anything (e.g, sound using the combo AppleALC/Lilu kext)? And the only other thing I would need to do is use something like Plist Edit Pro to change all instances of 10,1 to 14,2 in the USB Injector kext? Anything else? Thanks!

MacPeet

MacPeet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

That's right. Full handoff support works with WiFi and Bluetooth.

This requires a supported broadcom card with bluetooth 4.1.
With this configuration, Airdrop also works between Optiplex - iOS.

Switching to SMBIOS 14,2 can make problems and is not really necessary.

billg66

billg66

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

That's right. Full handoff support works with WiFi and Bluetooth.

This requires a supported broadcom card with bluetooth 4.1.
With this configuration, Airdrop also works between Optiplex - iOS.

Switching to SMBIOS 14,2 can make problems and is not really necessary.

Ok, thanks. Glad I asked... this Optiplex so far is a better Mac than half the Macs I've owned. I have the 780 SFF and the PCIe slot is taken up by the Radeon 5450. I don't think I can get a Broadcom card in my box... which is why I went the USB dongle route in the first place. :(

MacPeet

MacPeet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Yes, too few slots.

With USB dongle it does not work (Handoff and Airdrop to iDevices).
In Post # 1 see PCI WLAN card for PCI slot works well, but no handoff and airdrop to iDevices, unfortunately.

ricoc90

ricoc90

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Edit: I replaced the card with the HD6450 and it worked OOB. I'll just leave that one in for now.
---
Hi,

I have the Dell Optiplex 755 SFF with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2,83Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR2 (4x2GB)
GFX: XFX Radeon R5 230 2GB
HDD: 240GB SSD and 1TB SSHD

I am running Mac OS (from Yosemite up to Sierra 10.12.4) on my other computer for some time now (NEC POWERMATE VL280 SFF) and wanted to hackintosh my Dell Optiplex 755 SFF too.
Sierra 10.12.4 installs fine. The only *big* problem I am having is with my graphics. My system just hangs at DSMOS has arrived. I am able to boot when I either boot through safe mode, or when I remove the AMD kexts from /S/L/E/.

With my NEC, I used to have the Radeon HD6450 which worked OOB on the default AMD framebuffer (I had to patch the AMD6000Controller to enable all 3 ports using personality Ipomoea).
For what I believe, the R5 230 is the successor of the HD6450, both using the Caicos GPU. The device-id for the R5 230 (as well for the HD6450) is listed in AMD6000Controller.kext as well as in AMDRadeonX3000.kext per default.

I am using the SMBIOS for iMac10,1 and Enoch r2877 as my bootloader (I don't like Clover that much and until now Enoch never gave me any problems)

Is there a way to make this card work? I tried to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (I believe it's injectAti in clover) with different personalities (hoping that I'd get a black screen -> then I could just patch the controller) but whatever I do, it just hangs at DSMOS has arrived.

Thanks in advance.

goodguess

goodguess

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Thanks for your ongoing improvements to macOS on Optiplex!

I did hit the black screen too today after running Combo update 10.12.4 from 10.12.3.

Is there an easy fix for that or should I fall back to 10.12.3 and try again with Clover updated?

Clover is 2.3k rev. 3974, HD4550 ID is 0x68e0

MacPeet

MacPeet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
@ricoc90
Chameleon, I have not used for a long time.
Example:

Attached File  ati.png   37.12KB   2 downloads

@goodguess
10.12.4 requires at least Clover 3985 or better later!
With 3974 and 10.12.4 no KextInject works.

goodguess

goodguess

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Thanks MacPeet, updated to 4061 and Sierra is running again!

A rather easy fix, I just did not update Clover as things were working so far. :)

chris1111

chris1111

Packager

• Donators
  • 3,501 posts
  • Interests:Mac OS X Packaging / scripts

I @MacPeet thanks for a great Tutoriel  :)

I try PCI: TP-Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbit/s

DELL Optiplex 790 (DT) rigs on my signature

​PC Freeze when I used the kext injector on macOS Sierra 10.12.4

Edited ** (For this series)

and all of PCI TP-Link existing in the web do the same,(For this seriesI try all series of this TP-Link  651/751/ 951  :hysterical: 

same thing in Mavericks and Snow Leopard , also freeze in windows10

Do you have a trick for resolve this because I see around the net and its a common issue  :blush: 

The 951 300Mbit/s is native but also PC freeze after 5 minutes of usages

ricoc90

ricoc90

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

@MacPeet: thanks for your reply.

The problem I had with the card was that as soon the AMD drivers were loaded, I would not get past DSMOS has arrived. With and without GE=Yes et cetera.
If I'd boot into safe mode or when I moved the AMD drivers for my card (AMD6000Controller.kext and/or AMDRadeonX3000.kext) out of /S/L/E, it booted up fine.
I tried patching the framebuffer personalities in AMD6000Controller to match my connector construction but I still got stuck at DSMOS has arrived. 
I had the HD6450 still laying around so I plugged that one in and it worked OOB. 

Today I bought a second GT 710 for cheap, so my graphics problem is solved now. :) 

The only problem I'm having now, is that verbose mode reports a LPC error, but I'll look into that later.

MacPeet

MacPeet

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

@chris1111
In my Optiplex 780 MT I have: 
PCIe: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 WLAN Dual Band up to 450Mbit / s to 2.4GHz or 5GHz, works OOB as Airport

In my Esprimo I have:
PCI: TP Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbit / s, works as Airport
I have no freezing with the TP Link TL-WN851ND, not on 10.12.4 and not on 10.12.5 Beta 1-3 with the Injector.Kext from Post#1. Works very well with me.
I have no ideas. Perhaps a problem with the Optiplex 790.

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

same thing in Mavericks and Snow Leopard, also freeze in windows10

If it freezes even in Windows 10, it looks like a hardware issue to me. And if all cards do the same, it may be your Optiplex the culprit.

and all of PCI TP-Link existing in the web do the same

Are you sure about this?

chris1111

chris1111

Packager

• Donators
  • 3,501 posts

@chris1111
In my Optiplex 780 MT I have: 
PCIe: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 WLAN Dual Band up to 450Mbit / s to 2.4GHz or 5GHz, works OOB as Airport

In my Esprimo I have:
PCI: TP Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbit / s, works as Airport
I have no freezing with the TP Link TL-WN851ND, not on 10.12.4 and not on 10.12.5 Beta 1-3 with the Injector.Kext from Post#1. Works very well with me.
I have no ideas. Perhaps a problem with the Optiplex 790.

Ok thanks  :)

I have also PCIe: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 N900 WLAN Dual Band up to 450Mbit working OOB

I have two of them  :D 

but I dont used because my slot is used by my PCI-E2 port USB 3.0 Inateck USB 3.0 Express Card

EDIT ****

​Maybe the problem is relate only on 790 (DT) ?

If it freezes even in Windows 10, it looks like a hardware issue to me. And if all cards do the same, it may be your Optiplex the culprit.

Are you sure about this?

All of PCI TP-Link existing in the web do the same (For this seriesI try all series of this TP-Link  651/751/ 951 

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,857 posts

@chris1111

If I'm not mistaken, those cards need to be installed in the PCI-e 1x slot otherwise they do not work :unsure:

chris1111

chris1111

Packager

• Donators
  • 3,501 posts

@chris1111

If I'm not mistaken, those cards need to be installed in the PCI-e 1x slot otherwise they do not work :unsure:

Ita a PCI  :lol:

61x4ob10.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dell Optiplex, 780, 760, macOS, 10.12, Sierra, 755, 790, 990

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy