[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

USB WiFi dongle does not work with Siri and location services.

USB WiFi dongle does not work as an airport. Only internal supported cards Broadcom or Atheros.

USB WiFi dongle does not work with Siri and location services.

USB WiFi dongle does not work as an airport. Only internal supported cards Broadcom or Atheros.

I feared as much. I thought that if the computer was only using WiFi to identify the nearest towers, it wouldn't make a difference if it were a dongle or not, but apparently it does. If only I didn't need the video card... sigh. Thanks.

Guest ricoc90

I ordered 2 TP Link TL-WN851ND cards today. I've read in this topic that a user was encountering system freezes with this card...

I bought this card from a Dutch webshop and in the reviews lots of people are complaining about system freezes. 
They'll arrive tomorrow so we will see.

I ordered 2 TP Link TL-WN851ND cards today. I've read in this topic that a user was encountering system freezes with this card...

I bought this card from a Dutch webshop and in the reviews lots of people are complaining about system freezes. 

They'll arrive tomorrow so we will see.

Not on all computer? I see you have Dell Optiplex 755 SFF maybe works ? 

I hope for you  :)

You still have a free PCI slot in the SFF, right?

See post#1 (PCI: TP Link TL-WN851ND 300Mbit / s, works as Airport)

I do? There's another slot to the right of the PCIe slot... that's PCI?

Guest ricoc90

I do? There's another slot to the right of the PCIe slot... that's PCI?

The one on the bottom. The white-ish one.

Guest ricoc90

The card has been ordered from Amazon. Do I put this kext in S/L/E? Or in the Clover EFI 10.12 kext folder? Thanks!

S/L/E :)

I just installed the TP-Link TL-WN851ND into my system as well. Works great!

Any ideas if the standard fix for enabling a superdrive will mess up this system. Editing the plist? I've done it before on an older system, I'm nervous to try on this one.

I just installed the TP-Link TL-WN851ND into my system as well. Works great!

Any ideas if the standard fix for enabling a superdrive will mess up this system. Editing the plist? I've done it before on an older system, I'm nervous to try on this one.

USB Superdrive works with .plist edit.

Instructions for all users for plist edit?

If you want to use a usb superdrive with Sierra it will not function when plugged in. Here is the fix.

Open a terminal. At the prompt type    sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

You will need to make your plist match this. Basically add "mbasd=1"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>mbasd=1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

After editing press "control X" to exit, press "Y" for Yes, then press enter. Reboot

The reason I chose to run the superdrive is because I run 2 SSD Drives and a Hot swap drive tray in the DVD slot.

This system runs Windows/Linux/OSX and can swap in and out drives for Storage.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Optiplex 960 (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 2,83 GHz, 8GB DDR2 and Intel® Graphics GMA 4500 onBoard). I intend to install MacOS Sierra and I think this thread with all of its valuable information is the best start.

• Has someone already setup an Optiplex 960? Is it working?
  • Can someone point me to the right kexts?
  • I will upgrade the graphics with an NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti from manufacturer GALAX. Is it running with Sierra? Is it advisable to put this card in after Sierra is installed or beforehand?

Any pointer is appreciated!

Best regards and have a nice weekend,

boundone

Guest ricoc90

I believe some people had problems getting their GTX 750 Ti to run in Sierra. I'm not sure if that card will work (either with or without NVIDIA web drivers).

The card has been ordered from Amazon. Do I put this kext in S/L/E? Or in the Clover EFI 10.12 kext folder? Thanks!

Update: the card arrived yesterday, installed it and the kext, and location services are working like a charm. No freezing issues whatsoever. Thank you, MacPeet! Airdrop, however, does not seem to be working... even Mac to Mac. My primary Hackintosh isn't seeing the Optiplex and the Optiplex isn't seeing my primary Hackintosh. The Optiplex DID see my primary Hackintosh when I first enabled it using the USB adapter (but not the other way around), but nothing is coming up in the window now. Also, the Optiplex Airdrop Finder window doesn't give me any options like "Everyone" or "Contacts Only." Any suggestions?

Guest ricoc90

here AirDrop works from LAN to LAN and WiFi to WiFi...
LAN to WiFi or WiFi to LAN does not work

And I don't have the option to change who can find me (everyone, contacts only etc) either (didn't even know that it is an option in the first place :D)

try with terminal

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

...for all Interfaces (LAN to LAN, WIFI to LAN, WIFI to WIFI)

or back (WIFI only)

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 0

and/or

check and try same workgroup ...

System Settings / Network / Other Options / Wins / Workgroup

... on all Mac's

Guest ricoc90

try with terminal

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

...for all Interfaces

or back

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 0

and/or

check and try same workgroup ...

System Settings / Network / Other Options / Wins / Workgroup

... on all Mac's

AirDrop for me works fine though (Mac to Mac)

But I don't have the option to set AirDrop to Everyone or Contacts only (and I suspect that Mac to iOS won't work either).

I suspect it has something to do with Bluetooth.

As in: no functional bluetooth -> no interaction with other AirDrop supported devices -> option to change who can find you through AirDrop is useless.

Mac/Hackintosh to iOS only with supported Broadcom card and BT4.1, thus handoff suitable.

Atheros does not work for it.

You can not have everything.  :D

• Like 1