[Guide] macOS Sierra 10.12 - Dell Optiplex 780 (760) (755) (790) (990)

MacPeet

1,596 posts in this topic

There's things to say about the guide published in page 20 but I won't comment on this :P.

I suggest you follow post #1 instead. After all, this is what this topic is all about.

NB : I personally don't use the "createinstallmedia" command in terminal. Instead, I prefer the method used in this guide (post #2) that use Disk Utility. It ask a little more efforts but it has an advantage that the createinstallmedia doesn't : you don't need a second install process when you reboot the computer and hence, you don't need a macOS Install Data to finish the job.

All is done once in the Sierra's installer and you can start using your Optiplex right after that.

The only thing I would see or I could think of that might have cause an issue is that my disk is already partitionned as GPT, maybe if I put it back to MBR before formatting it would actually works... I really doubt that but it's something I'm thinking...

Yes You may try that. That way you'll make sure the GPT scheme is cleared by the MBR scheme. Then revert it back to GPT should create a cleaned one.

I'm sorry but there's mistakes in the guide I pointed out earlier and there's also some things that need to be adjusted in step 18.

You must read this instead of what's stated :

cp "/Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg" /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/
cp -a "/Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist" /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/
rm /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/System/Installation/Packages
cp -a /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/System/Installation/Packages

Pay attention to the quote marks and replace USB_Stick_Name by whatever you named your USB Stick.

But really, I think you should follow post #1. There's no reason it fails since a lot of person have successfully installed Sierra on their Optiplex using it.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but there's mistakes in the guide I pointed out earlier and there's also some things that need to be adjusted in step 18.

You must read this instead of what's stated :

cp "/Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg" /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/
cp -a "/Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist" /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/
cp -a /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/System/Installation/Packages

Pay attention to the quote marks and replace USB_Stick_Name by whatever you named your USB Stick.

But really, I think you should follow post #1. There's no reason it fails since a lot of person have successfully installed Sierra on their Optiplex using it.

A big thank you!!! It worked !!!!!!! :) 

• Like 1

@roon83

Looks like you have the same problem than drynish :).

Maybe the same solution applies to you.

NB : Not sure about this but latest versions of Clover seems to have problems with the second stage part, whether it's a new one or an upgrade.

But according to Slice, it's not Clover's fault.

So I have two options then? Use an older version of clover or try to create the installation media with the method provided by you. Which one should I go with?

So I have two options then? Use an older version of clover or try to create the installation media with the method provided by you. Which one should I go with?

Been there, done that. I tried two different versions (one older and the more actual one), it didn't change anything...

Go for the second method as stated by polyzargone stated before. 

Just to warn you, I got some issues with his methos, the last command :

<code> 

</code>

Didn't worked as planned:

* first cp failed (terminal stated configuration issues on some of those packages and after trying to boot with it failed with missing install app) 

* second copy the destination folder already existed so it got copied inside the Installation/Packages/Packages. Afterwards I deleted everything in the first Packages and move Packages/Packages contents to Packages (Used Finder)....

* I hope you won't have those issues

Michel

PS: Polyzargone maybe you should include in the first thread your second method as a way around.

PPS: I know I edit a lot my post, but sorry, english is not my first language and sometimes, it doesn't get out in my head the way it should! :)

• Like 2

Just to warn you, I got some issues with his methos, the last command :

<code> 

</code>

Didn't worked as planned, I had to copy those at another location and move them to there afterwards... dunno why (stated configuration issues)! To be honest, first cp failed, second copy (I tried since the first one failed, and the installation was unable to find the folder) the folder was already existing so it copied inside the Installation/Packages/Packages. Afterwards I deleted everything in the first Packages and move Packages/Packages contents to Packages (Used Dolphin).... I hope you won't have those issues

Once again, my bad :P ! These one should work as expected :

cp /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/
cp -a /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/
cp -a /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/System/Installation/
Again, pay attention to quotation marks and spaces and replace USB_Stick_Name by whatever you named your USB Stick.

PS: Polyzargone maybe you should include in the first thread your second method as a way around.

Not my thread :P.

I had to copy those at another location and move them to there afterwards...

I hadn't said it but you can do all of this right in the Finder.

Terminal's commands are just a faster way to do it but there's no real other benefits to proceed like this.

But according to Slice, it's not Clover's fault.

I doubt it too, I tell you there's an issue at the end of the installation just before rebooting, the screen goes all black and there's an assertion that's failing (the only part I could read before reboot). It happened for me at 6 seconds before the end of the installation.

Once again, my bad :P ! These one should work as expected :

No it wasn't your bad. I think the disk got mounted by MacOS when I was copying the file, or maybe it was the inactivity timeout... :) I'm not totally sure, but something happened and the copy process was cut in the middle stating configuration issues...  I'm really ok with command line  and your cp seems just fine since we're removing the Packages folder just before... so if you specify the folder destination and it doesn't exist, it will work ;)

Just my 2 cents, I don't know why but I love MacOS on my Dell, honestly. I'm pretty good with OS in general and I always come back to it (tried couples of linux distribution).

I have 2 Raspberry PI serving as NAS at home (Debian and ArchLinux) and on this computer I have 2 SSD (MacOS,Windows 10). But really I don't know why I like it so much but really MacOS is my OS of choice for everyday computing and work. At my job, they use (a lot) Microsoft Office even if I mainly use LaTeX, I can install office on this system (not on LInux). 

It's fast, simple interface, simple configuration (but good), integration with ssh / git, apache, gcc, ... It's like having a Linux but with a great interface.

And last but not least, with Linux I am unable to get flash working with live stream (even on chrome, same flash version as of this one) and with this OS it works!

Thanks for listening to me and this is why I was so sad!!! :))

• Like 1

No it wasn't your bad. I think the disk got mounted by MacOS when I was copying the file, or maybe it was the inactivity timeout... :) I'm not totally sure, but something happened and the copy process was cut in the middle stating configuration issues...  I'm really ok with command line  and your cp seems just fine since we're removing the Packages folder just before... so if you specify the folder destination and it doesn't exist, it will work ;)

Nope.

Because if you use this command :

It will create another Packages folder inside System/Installation and then it will copy the /Volumes/"OS X Install ESD"/Packages into this new Packages folder.

Eventually, you'll have this on the USB Stick :

/Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/System/Installation/Packages/Packages

Which is wrong :P.

You must have this instead :

/Volumes/USB_Stick_Name/System/Installation/Packages/

Well forget it :hysterical:

I did several tests and it turns out that it works fine with both commands.

• Like 2

Can you share your config.plist here and ideally, kexts you have in CLOVER/kexts/Other ?

I assume you're using DSDT.aml for HD 5450 Series, right ?

I managed to FINALLY get 10.12 update done thank you. But I can't seem to get the audio working with AppleALC 10.1.4 injecting it with KextWizard then rebuilding cache then rebooting which I have done several times successfully before  :poster_oops:

I've been at it all day lol. I have attached my config.plist and my kext folder if you could be kind enough to take a peek at it for me. Let me know if you need anything else. I sure do appreciate all the help.

Specs:

Mac SMBIOS 10,1

5450 Video Card

Q9400 CPU

Troubleshoot Folder.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

I see no AppleALC.kext nor Lilu.kext (see MacPeet's post here). Also, you need to check in DSDT what's the layout-id defined in Device (HDEF). If I'm not mistaken, it should be like this :

"layout-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x0B, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                            },

And most important, you need a vanilla AppleHDA.kext and must delete any HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext or VoodooHDA.kext you may have installed.

• Like 1

I see no AppleALC.kext nor Lilu.kext (see MacPeet's post here). Also, you need to check in DSDT what's the layout-id defined in Device (HDEF). If I'm not mistaken, it should be like this :

"layout-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                 0x0B, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00                         
                            },

And most important, you need a vanilla AppleHDA.kext and must delete any HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDADisabler.kext or VoodooHDA.kext you may have installed.

The Vanilla AppleALC.kext supplied in the link from MacPeet did the trick THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You always come to the rescue and we are lucky to have you!

• Like 1

@roon83 & drynish

Guys, may I ask you what version of Sierra you've used to create the USB Stick ? Is it 10.12.4 by any chance ?

Yeah my real MacBookPro was upgraded seconds before downloading the Installation's files.

The Vanilla AppleALC.kext supplied in the link from MacPeet did the trick THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I think it's Lilu.kext (which is included in this AppleALC.kext) that did the trick.

This new plugin is now mandatory with AppleALC.kext. And to be more specific, it's AppleALC.kext that is now a plugin of Lilu.kext. See this thread to learn more ;).

Yeah my real MacBookPro was upgraded seconds before downloading the Installation's files.

Ok thanks.

So that's what I suspected earlier. There's something new with the 10.12.4 installer that makes two-stage process fails (not sure it's exclusive to Clover). They're working on it and hopefully will fix that soon :).

Ok thanks.

So that's what I suspected earlier. There's something new with the 10.12.4 installer that makes two-stage process fails (not sure it's exclusive to Clover). They're working on it and hopefully will fix that soon :).

At least I'm not drunk! ;)

I managed to FINALLY get 10.12 update done thank you. But I can't seem to get the audio working with AppleALC 10.1.4 injecting it with KextWizard then rebuilding cache then rebooting which I have done several times successfully before  :poster_oops:

I've been at it all day lol. I have attached my config.plist and my kext folder if you could be kind enough to take a peek at it for me. Let me know if you need anything else. I sure do appreciate all the help.

Specs:

Mac SMBIOS 10,1

5450 Video Card

Q9400 CPU

I was able to get the sound working with the AppleALC, however the lastest release was not working when I extracted it with the zip extractor.

I used the previous release 1.0.19 and it worked flawlessly, just putting it in the kexts/10.12/ folder.

• Like 1

I used the previous release 1.0.19 and it worked flawlessly, just putting it in the kexts/10.12/ folder.

That's because older version of AppleALC.kext doen't need Lilu.kext.

As I said, it's now mandatory since v.1.1.0.

So if you want to stay up-to-date, just install both of them in kexts/10.12

NB : I prefer Other folder since it's meant to be used by any version of macOS. Next one is coming ;).

That's because older version of AppleALC.kext doen't need Lilu.kext.

As I said, it's now mandatory since v.1.1.0.

So if you want to stay up-to-date, just install both of them in kexts/10.12

NB : I prefer Other folder since it's meant to be used by any version of macOS. Next one is coming ;).

Is it normal when I extracted the file I got a .sym file too?