[Advice Please] Change my SMBIOS & serial number for MacOS Sierra Support

p3u1

15 posts in this topic

Hi, so i have been running my Hackintosh for nearly 2 years. Over that time i have added & updated my hardware to get all features of a proper Mac. My serial number & longer serial board number have stayed the same & my smbios has always been set to a Mac Pro 3,1

With my Native Bluetooth/WIFI Combo card i have had all features working: HandOff, Continuity, SMS Relay, Personal Hotspot etc. So when the new MacOS Sierra comes out my setup will be able to run all of the new features, i have an iPhone 6 & an Apple Watch Sport.

The problem is my SMBIOS is Mac Pro (Early 2008) which is not listed as supported, so what would be the best way/process to update my SMBIOS. I'm familiar with Clover Configurator but what would be the best/ most compatible SMBIOS to choose? Newer iMac? Newer Mac Pro? (I'm almost sure to be able to access the Nvidia Webdrivers for my GeForce GTX 960 i have to choose a Mac Pro).

Will using Clover Configurator to change my SMBIOS & serial number then simply doing a reboot be enough or could it cause problems, as in security issues, i remember from the past i did this a few times and in verbose boot it would say about iTunes DRM?

I also have the newer 2 Factor Authentication setup on my iPhone 6 & Hackintosh.

Should i do a fresh install with the new SMBIOS & Serial Number then pull my user account info from the time machine backup on post install (When setting up a user account)? My specs are below. Thanks in advance for any advice help.

• OSX version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34)
  • Clover version: Clover 3556
  • Theme: Apple Style
  • Clover installations: UEFI + PartitionDxe + Aptratiofix2 
  • CPU: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
  • RAM: 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
  • Audio-Onboard: ALC887
  • GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB
  • Mac Model(Smbios): Mac Pro 3,1
  • Boot flags(Arguments): dart=0 nvda_drv=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0
  • WIFI/Bluetooth : BRCM20702 Hub (Combo Card made for an iMac)

Ok so i got clover upgraded & partitions setup to install the dev version of 11.12 & i was correct, it says my hardware is too old.

Can i use clover configurator to change my smbios then reboot?

ANK7ZNj.png

Hi. My hardware is older than yours but I've managed to install Sierra without problems. My Smbios is Mac Pro 5.1 so you can try that spec as well.....

Hi thanks for the reply, i set it to Mac Pro 6.1 and it booted find, even shown up on find my iPhone, but my screen was black (No Desktop).

Should i sign out of my iCloud account 1st?

Do you have 2 factor authentication enabled?

Hi thanks for the reply, i set it to Mac Pro 6.1 and it booted find, even shown up on find my iPhone, but my screen was black (No Desktop).

Should i sign out of my iCloud account 1st?

Do you have 2 factor authentication enabled?

following your specs, you have an Nvidia card, must be the problem, look into the forums about the latest drivers (i think they released one for macOS) and do your tests. Good luck.

Funny I was going to ask the same question. I've had my hackintosh set as MacPro3,1 since 2009 with same serial since then as well. But with macOS Sierra on the horizon it looks like I will have to change to a MacPro5,1 or 6,1 SMBIOS.

I am not looking forward to the inevitable rash of issues by changing, i.e iMessage, Facetime, power management, etc. Hopefully the good people here will be able to get us through it.

MacPro3,1 makes no sense on 7 Series hardware, use iMac13,1/iMac13,2 or iMac13,3 (IGPU only).

I agree but with my Graphics card I need a Mac Pro SMBIOS. THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny I was going to ask the same question. I've had my hackintosh set as MacPro3,1 since 2009 with same serial since then as well. But with macOS Sierra on the horizon it looks like I will have to change to a MacPro5,1 or 6,1 SMBIOS.

I am not looking forward to the inevitable rash of issues by changing, i.e iMessage, Facetime, power management, etc. Hopefully the good people here will be able to get us through it.

Well my first clover config change was to Mac Pro 6,1 it booted but to black screen. This mod was done before even trying to upgrade/install 10.12.

All issues should be resolved if as well as a serial you add a board serial number too. So in configurator what ever serial number you generate for said serial number. Use that but with extra digits.

Well my first clover config change was to Mac Pro 6,1 it booted but to black screen. This mod was done before even trying to upgrade/install 10.12.

All issues should be resolved if as well as a serial you add a board serial number too. So in configurator what ever serial number you generate for said serial number. Use that but with 5 extra digits.

All issues should be resolved if as well as a serial you add a board serial number too. So in configurator what ever serial number you generate for said serial number. Use that but with 5 extra digits.

Choose an iMac smbios (or some newer mac pro if you necessarily need a Mac Pro system definition, though I did not find any difference). I'm using iMac 14,2 and having no issues with it anymore. MacPro3,1 is not supported and you won't be able to install Sierra with it.

For the black screen issue when loading the driver in second stage boot, if you're using multiple monitors, try to boot with a single one first. If it boots (which I think it will), switch to a different port and add the second monitor, as well. Might be an issue with the Sierra Nvidia driver. Which won't be a surprise, since it's still a DP. But I got the exact same issues with my MacPro3,1 (now iMac14,2) system definition and this is how i solved them. I just switched one of my monitors from one DVI port to another. Added the other monitor to HDMI (as it was before) and voilà, booting up successfully with both monitors.

Also, for as far as I know, you need Clover min version 3561 for Sierra. Keep that in mind. Also, you will need a newer FakeSMC (version 6.20.1410 should do fine).

Trying to boot with your current configuration will show the forbidden logo upon boot up and you won't be able to go into the installer. Been there, done that.

Also, just so you know, the following boot args are obsolete (some of them even since Yosemite): kext-dev-mode=1, rootless=0. Also, you don't need dart=0. nvda_drv=1, needed only after installing the Nvidia driver, but I suppose you already know that. :)

Oh, and by the way, your system definition and the Nvidia web driver have nothing to do with each other. You don't need a Mac Pro definition to install the Nvidia driver. Also, you probably won't need to patch the AGDP.kext either. Probably. I might be wrong there.

Just so you know, the system I got working with Sierra, features:

1. a Skylake i5 6600K CPU

2. a GA-Z170-Gaming-K3 motherboard

3. ALC1150 audio (that was a pain in the butt to fix on this particular system).

4. a GTX 950 GPU

5. dual monitor setup.

And I got working almost everything (minus USB 3.1). But I'm working on that. :) So yeah, it's definitely possible with your current setup. But you need to change a few things, as I told you above.

Does changing my smbios to iMac 14,2 or anything else for that matter mean I will have to figure out a new serial number as well? I had a hell of a time getting iMessage and Facetime to work a while back and hate to have to go through that all over again.

My other issue was when I switched to, say macPro4,1 or 5,1, my power management got all screwed up in that it didn’t work anymore. I got no different power states. Just stuck at full speed.

Does changing my smbios to iMac 14,2 or anything else for that matter mean I will have to figure out a new serial number as well? I had a hell of a time getting iMessage and Facetime to work a while back and hate to have to go through that all over again.

My other issue was when I switched to, say macPro4,1 or 5,1, my power management got all screwed up in that it didn’t work anymore. I got no different power states. Just stuck at full speed.

Serial number (meaning the one displayed in About this Mac) will be changed automatically when you choose another SMBIOS. But for iMessage, I don't think that's relevant. MLB, ROM and (I think) SmUUID are, for as far as I remember, the important serial numbers and I think they can be kept/transferred to the new SMBIOS. Give it a try.

• Like 1

Serial number (meaning the one displayed in About this Mac) will be changed automatically when you choose another SMBIOS. But for iMessage, I don't think that's relevant. MLB, ROM and (I think) SmUUID are, for as far as I remember, the important serial numbers and I think they can be kept/transferred to the new SMBIOS. Give it a try.

Simply changing the model name in Clover will only change the base SMBIOS data (like the board ID, etc.). The serial number is a hardcoded generic value by default (if you don't specify one). It actually does depend on the type of model (you should generate a proper one). Same with the MLB.

iMac14,2 doesn't make sense on X58 chipset hardware, MacPro4,1/5,1 are actually the best ones for this.

Yes I'm In the same boat as you, i did an install of od Sierra from usb on a completely separate drive i pre made the clover config & placed on the refi partition of that drive, it installed fine, graphics weren't Properly enabled though. I downloaded and installed the beta Nvidia Web Drivers for Sierra & i just get a black screen it boots to desktop, but black screen, now if i reboot & change my boot parameters adding (nv-disable=1) it boots fine again but with crappy graphics.

arsradu is correct about having your serial, main board serial & SmUUID setup correctly. This will solve any iMessage/Facetime issues.

I just keep playing about with it but hey it's still an early beta.

Choose an iMac smbios (or some newer mac pro if you necessarily need a Mac Pro system definition, though I did not find any difference). I'm using iMac 14,2 and having no issues with it anymore. MacPro3,1 is not supported and you won't be able to install Sierra with it.

For the black screen issue when loading the driver in second stage boot, if you're using multiple monitors, try to boot with a single one first. If it boots (which I think it will), switch to a different port and add the second monitor, as well. Might be an issue with the Sierra Nvidia driver. Which won't be a surprise, since it's still a DP. But I got the exact same issues with my MacPro3,1 (now iMac14,2) system definition and this is how i solved them. I just switched one of my monitors from one DVI port to another. Added the other monitor to HDMI (as it was before) and voilà, booting up successfully with both monitors.

Also, for as far as I know, you need Clover min version 3561 for Sierra. Keep that in mind. Also, you will need a newer FakeSMC (version 6.20.1410 should do fine).

Trying to boot with your current configuration will show the forbidden logo upon boot up and you won't be able to go into the installer. Been there, done that.

Also, just so you know, the following boot args are obsolete (some of them even since Yosemite): kext-dev-mode=1, rootless=0. Also, you don't need dart=0. nvda_drv=1, needed only after installing the Nvidia driver, but I suppose you already know that. :)

Oh, and by the way, your system definition and the Nvidia web driver have nothing to do with each other. You don't need a Mac Pro definition to install the Nvidia driver. Also, you probably won't need to patch the AGDP.kext either. Probably. I might be wrong there.

Just so you know, the system I got working with Sierra, features:

1. a Skylake i5 6600K CPU

2. a GA-Z170-Gaming-K3 motherboard

3. ALC1150 audio (that was a pain in the butt to fix on this particular system).

4. a GTX 950 GPU

5. dual monitor setup.

And I got working almost everything (minus USB 3.1). But I'm working on that. :) So yeah, it's definitely possible with your current setup. But you need to change a few things, as I told you above.

Hey thanks for all the info/advice on the multiple posts, i'd be happy to change it to iMac but in the past if i booted with iMac definitions in clover when i try to install the Nvidia Web Drivers it gives an error that it can't be installed, this might have change though, someone also commented on patching the web driver to removed the system check but i don't know how to do that.

Anyway thanks i really appreciate your input.  :)

Hey thanks for all the info/advice on the multiple posts, i'd be happy to change it to iMac but in the past if i booted with iMac definitions in clover when i try to install the Nvidia Web Drivers it gives an error that it can't be installed, this might have change though, someone also commented on patching the web driver to removed the system check but i don't know how to do that.

Anyway thanks i really appreciate your input.

I think that might have been an issue with the driver itself. I don't remember the last time I had such issues. And, at least on the system I mentioned above, installing the driver was not a problem.

You can create a different config with a different system definition (any of the supported ones, but for the sake of argument, let's say it's an iMac definition), boot from it, and try to install the driver. See if it works. I don't think that the error you might have had in the past was related to the SMBIOS. But of course, I could be wrong.

However, for installing Sierra, you will surely need the other things I mentioned above (Clover version 3561 or newer and newer FakeSMC kext)