Building New Hackintosh - What Works in OS X?

cpeek

3 posts in this topic

I have been torn between building a Hackintosh vs buying a 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 machine.  I have built many Windows/Linux machines and servers over the last 20+ years, so I am comfortable with the hardware process.  However, I had been leaning towards buying mainly for OS compatibility reasons.  That was my direction until Apple recently announced they would not support fairly decent hardware that is only six years old (e.g. the 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 machines).  

As such, I am leaning towards a Hackintosh and even though I have done extensive reading on various forums, I still have some basic questions.  First, I would be buying new and using all main stream components listed on the guides.  Assuming that I use a supported motherboard  (e.g. Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH) and supported video card (e.g. nVidia 980), is it reasonable to expect all of the various features below to work once you have applied the various kernel extensions and fixes: 

1) USB 2
2) USB 3
3) Audio
4) Thunderbolt
5) Wired LAN
6) iMessage/Facetime
7) Wake/sleep
8) Continuity features (would install Apple Broadcom card)
9) All other OS features
10) 4k video
11) HDMI audio

I guess another way to put it, is there anything that regularly ends up not working or is severely limited?