AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Mieze said:

Maybe my post was a little bit misleading because the new wakeup issue differs from the old one in a way that it's not the framebuffer controller which fails to wakeup but the detection of the display fails so that the screen stays black. Technically speaking the machine is fully functional after wakeup and you can even use it via screensharing, which wasn't the case with the old wakeup issue, but now the display is gone after wakeup as if it has been disconnected during sleep.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to create a valid iMac18,2 serial number to try this system definition and I'm quite busy at the moment because I have to finish some Powerpoint slides I need for a lecture on Wednesday.

Mieze

No it wasn't misleading at all I was just curious to know if that can have an impact on the issue or not.

And don't worry about the test I know how busy you are.

Off-Topic:

How can you verify that wether the serial number is valid or not? By using iMessage and FaceTime or is there another way to determine if it's valid or not.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise :)

2 minutes ago, Cyberdevs said:

Off-Topic:

How can you verify that wether the serial number is valid or not? By using iMessage and FaceTime or is there another way to determine if it's valid or not.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise :)

Use "About this Mac" from the Apple menu. In case the serial number is invalid, it won't show the correct Mac model, just "iMac" or something like that.

Mieze

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mieze said:

Use "About this Mac" from the Apple menu. In case the serial number is invalid, it won't show the correct Mac model, just "iMac" or something like that.

Mieze

I thought there is a more complicated way to verify the serial number :D

1 hour ago, Cyberdevs said:

Addition: (Off-Topic)

How do you create the serial numbers? Clover Configurator usually creates accurate SMBIOS profiles. Even everymac recognizes the serial numbers.

I used MacGen but it's unable to create serial numbers for the 2017 iMacs. As I couldn't resist to try it with Clover Configurator, I've got a valid serial number for iMac18,2 but there is no change compared to iMac18,3 which means that:

• My 4k display is detected as 5k display.
  • Black screen after wakeup without AGDC disable patch.

Edit: The reason why you've got wakeup working might also be located in the connector layout of the card itself because your ASUS ROG Strix has only 1 DP while my Sapphire Nitro+ comes with 2 DPs. Most likely AGDC detects that the card is unable to support MST due to the lack of a second DP and therefore disables it.

Mieze

Edited by Mieze

@Cyberdevs: I guess it's the VBIOS which is the key. If the card's connector data define at least 2 DPs, MST will be enabled for the card and the DPs are combined. Do you know any VBIOS modding tool which is to able change the connector layout? As Clover is able to load a VBIOS there would be no need to flash anything.

Mieze

Edited by Mieze

6 hours ago, Mieze said:

I used MacGen but it's unable to create serial numbers for the 2017 iMacs. As I couldn't resist to try it with Clover Configurator, I've got a valid serial number for iMac18,2 but there is no change compared to iMac18,3 which means that:

• My 4k display is detected as 5k display.
  • Black screen after wakeup without AGDC disable patch.

Edit: The reason why you've got wakeup working might also be located in the connector layout of the card itself because your ASUS ROG Strix has only 1 DP while my Sapphire Nitro+ comes with 2 DPs. Most likely AGDC detects that the card is unable to support MST due to the lack of a second DP and therefore disables it.

Mieze

Actually my GPU also has 2 DP ports, 2 HDMI ports and a DVI-D port but since it's the overclocked version of the RX580 you might be right about the VBIOS being modified but I think the modifications are mostly on the clock of the GPU rather than port layout.

Unfortunately I don't know any VBIOS modding tool for the Polaris GPUs to change the connectors layout. The only tool that I have found so far is the Polaris BIOS Editor which I don't think is capable to change the port layout. It's mainly used to change the fan curve and the timing on the memories for mining mostly.

I'll do some research on the BIOS editor and if I find anything I'll let you know. 

Asus RX580.jpg

• Like 1

@Mieze

So far I haven't been able to find any useful application to edit the Polaris BIOS but few weeks ago I came across an interesting application that might be useful with your knowledge and expertise. Here is the link:

https://github.com/JogleLew/amd-framebuffer-utility

Maybe you can check the source code and add the necessary features for changing the ports layout as well.

I'll keep looking though.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you guys help me? 

I'm trying to get AirPlay working on my Sapphire R9 390 Nitro GPU without Intel QuickSync. 

I saw a couple of pages ago that you guys got it working on other AMD GPUs without iGPU so what im trying now is to

get the right FakeSMC in to get AirPlay working.

My GPU is using the "AMDHawaiiGraphicsAccelerator". Would love to get some help with the FakeSMC to get it working.

WORKS! :)

Thank you so so much.

Didn't do it right on my first try. But with your help now it works.

But now with every Update for FakeSMC I have to add it back in manually right?

On 5/17/2018 at 11:36 PM, THoue87 said:

WORKS! :)

Thank you so so much.

Didn't do it right on my first try. But with your help now it works.

But now with every Update for FakeSMC I have to add it back in manually right?

yes you need to added it manually.

but fakesmc don't updated to often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 3:52 PM, Cyberdevs said:

@Mieze

So far I haven't been able to find any useful application to edit the Polaris BIOS but few weeks ago I came across an interesting application that might be useful with your knowledge and expertise. Here is the link:

https://github.com/JogleLew/amd-framebuffer-utility

Maybe you can check the source code and add the necessary features for changing the ports layout as well.

I'll keep looking though.

can you share your efi? want to try it with my RX480

• 1 month later...

Hi @truemac 

Want to know whether this method of injecting IOGVAHEVC through fakesmc still work in HS 10.13.6. Tried to modify my fakesmc kext by copy pasting the required properties using Xcode and placing it in clover/kexts/other but it stuck during boot. Currently I use a separate modified injector kext to inject the IOGVAHEVC but just want to experiment with this method of using fakesmc as I would like to minimise the 3rd party kexts.

Thanks

MSI AMD Radeon RX560 ITX version

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 2:17 AM, one_7 said:

Hi @truemac 

Want to know whether this method of injecting IOGVAHEVC through fakesmc still work in HS 10.13.6. Tried to modify my fakesmc kext by copy pasting the required properties using Xcode and placing it in clover/kexts/other but it stuck during boot. Currently I use a separate modified injector kext to inject the IOGVAHEVC but just want to experiment with this method of using fakesmc as I would like to minimise the 3rd party kexts.

Thanks

MSI AMD Radeon RX560 ITX version

hey

upload your fakesmc I take a look :)

• 2 months later...

@Slice

Thank you very much!!

it's very helpful. I will make a plan following your advice!

anyway, I don't know they help your development, but I attached pictures that were of screen when the crash occurred with RX560.

usually magenta, once cyan. 

thank you!

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

• 2 years later...

i once got a issue with bios connectors and need to change them to avoid a driver loading issue.

using some bios dump tool (atomdis or other) you can figure out where the connectors are in the bios them use an hex editor to change them. 

then you can hex dump your modded bios (might need checksum fix) and include it in the amdcontroller.kex. same as here