AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

I got that in Heaven benchmark as well, so am pretty sure it's a driver thing.

Haven't tried HDMI, but my boot screen is always the 2nd DP port.

One weird thing I do get is a complete freeze sometimes. I think it's GPU because there's a bank of lights near the power connectors on the GPU which all go blue (max power) and the GPU gets hot.

I noticed that the Drivers are setting my Frequency at 1630MHz and my card is rated at 1547MHz (air cooled).  maybe Apple plans to use the liquid cooled variants in the Mac Pro.    They are set to 1630 for boost clock speed.     See the Luxmark bench below frequency 1630MHz.     My fan spins like crazy and the tachometer pegs out to max for most of the bench, but when its done it calls down quickly and temps drop fast, thanks to "AutoWattMan".   I figure we should be getting at least 28,000 for Luxmark Ball bench.

post-1753549-0-24389600-1502825626_thumb.png

• Like 1

I noticed that the Drivers are setting my Frequency at 1630MHz and my card is rated at 1547MHz (air cooled).  maybe Apple plans to use the liquid cooled variants in the Mac Pro.    They are set to 1630 for boost clock speed.     See the Luxmark bench below frequency 1630MHz.     My fan spins like crazy and the tachometer pegs out to max for most of the bench, but when its done it calls down quickly and temps drop fast, thanks to "AutoWattMan".   I figure we should be getting at least 28,000 for Luxmark Ball bench.

Yes the noise isn't so great. I've got an EK water block on pre-order, due next week :)

I'm getting GPU freeze, but not on full noise, it seems to be video playback in Chrome related. Maybe java?

edit: I just ran luxmark and mine is showing 1600MHz and the score is lower than yours...

post-1564334-0-16773400-1502851663_thumb.png

edit 2: My device id is showing as 0x68631002. Yours is?

• Like 1

Yes the noise isn't so great. I've got an EK water block on pre-order, due next week :)

I'm getting GPU freeze, but not on full noise, it seems to be video playback in Chrome related. Maybe java?

edit: I just ran luxmark and mine is showing 1600MHz and the score is lower than yours...

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-08-16 14.57.59.png

edit 2: My device id is showing as 0x68631002. Yours is?

0x687F1002,     Gigabyte RX Vega 64 8gb.     You have the Frontier Edition 16gb correct?

Have you tried Uningine using custom mode and no anti-aliasing?    

My pentium G3258 system shows the Vega 64 with 24 bit color ARGB8888, but now with my Skylake i5 6500 I'm getting 30 bit ARGB210101010.    What is your color bit?

post-1753549-0-25221000-1502852943_thumb.png

glview-ATI Radeon HD Vega10 XT Prototype OpenGL Engine.txt.zip

1002_687f_6b761002.rom.zip

0x687F1002,     Gigabyte RX Vega 64 8gb.     You have the Frontier Edition 16gb correct?

Have you tried Uningine using custom mode and no anti-aliasing?    

My pentium G3258 system shows the Vega 64 with 24 bit color ARGB8888, but now with my Skylake i5 6500 I'm getting 30 bit ARGB210101010.    What is your color bit?

attachicon.gifAbout this Mac i5 6500 Vega 64.png

Yes I have the frontier Edition. I think the CPU helps too...

I'll download valley and do the same settings as you.

(done)

post-1564334-0-15219500-1502857258_thumb.png

post-1564334-0-37052500-1502857267_thumb.png

edit:

post-1564334-0-51475300-1502859477_thumb.png

I tried this SMBIOS - iMac Pro 19.1 - from pike https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/06/07/2017-imac-pro-smbios-data/ and improved my GPU scores significantly.

Nearly 20% on cinebench and the Luxmark as you see below.

post-1564334-0-50614500-1502944420_thumb.png

post-1564334-0-57042000-1502944469_thumb.png

I can't see any improvement on my CPU though.

Hopefully the OS X drivers will mature with time...

• Like 1

Boot to black screen is over for AMD GPUs

Thanks to @vit9696 and @vandroiy2012 with the new Lilu.kext v1.1.6 and WhateverGreen.kext v.1.0.0 now we can use AMD GPUs without the need of a helper card.

:frantics:  :yes:

I would confirm that this combination helped me to solve the wake-from-sleep black screen in El Capitan. My graphic card is the Sapphire R7 260X, that was recognized using ID injection. 

Thanks! 

I would confirm that this combination helped me to solve the wake-from-sleep black screen in El Capitan. My graphic card is the Sapphire R7 260X, that was recognized using ID injection. 

Thanks! 

That's great :)

XFX RX 470, 480 work very well.     The XFX RX 460 is whole other animal.   If you buy it new and register it within 30 days it has a lifetime warranty.

My XFX RX 480s reference 8gb models have worked since September of 2016 in Sierra betas.    

Warranty is definitely cool option, but you can buy GPU that won't work in any way. No-one from forums or even XFX support could help make it work. If miners would not blowup the GPU market, I would be like "okay, will buy new one", but now you have pure physical lack of GPU's it's kinda hard. Now I'm waiting for Vega to arrive. 

• Like 1

Warranty is definitely cool option, but you can buy GPU that won't work in any way. No-one from forums or even XFX support could help make it work. If miners would not blowup the GPU market, I would be like "okay, will buy new one", but now you have pure physical lack of GPU's it's kinda hard. Now I'm waiting for Vega to arrive.

XFX rx 460-560 seem to be incompatible but the 470-580 models do work. Haven't heard about XFX Vega yet. I have tested Gigabyte and Sapphire Vega cards and they both work.

• Like 1

XFX rx 460-560 seem to be incompatible but the 470-580 models do work. Haven't heard about XFX Vega yet. I have tested Gigabyte and Sapphire Vega cards and they both work.

In my city price for Vega 56 and 64 like for 2 gtx 1080 ti. Will try to wait 3-4 weeks for price drop or switch to nvidia for good.

P. S. I guess they tweaked rx 460-560 too much, because even with reflash to another vendor bios it work only in windows.

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still getting a black screen when trying to install or upgrade to High Sierra. I have copied the latest lilu & WhateverGreen to the EFI kext / other folder.

I also have this working fine on Sierra 10.12.6 on another Nvme drive. 

The last messages I see on the screen are:

IOConsoleUsers: time(0) 0->10, lin 0, llk 1,
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs0, bs0, now 0, sm 0x0

However I also see these exact messages on my Sierra build and it works fine after. Just the High Sierra goes to a black screen after these messages.

Any ideas on what could be wrong ?

I'm still getting a black screen when trying to install or upgrade to High Sierra. I have copied the latest lilu & WhateverGreen to the EFI kext / other folder.

I also have this working fine on Sierra 10.12.6 on another Nvme drive. 

Any ideas on what could be wrong ?

Is the GPU you are getting black screen with is the one on your signature? Or you have another GPU? If so what is the model?

Found my issue, was to do with CSM not being disabled in BIOS.

When I had installed 10.12.6 Sierra I had tried to disable this & my PC wouldn't start, had to reset BIOS and then Sierra installed correctly with CSM enabled.

For High Sierra it is black screen without CSM disabled. Managed to disable now & no more black screen.

But now am hitting another issue ...

On Sierra, my Cinebench numbers are very inconsistent for OpenCL, ranging from 55 fps to 106 fps. I tried CSM enable, disable and it seems worse on disable, although both are inconsistent. Some screen shots attached showing in orange the different results

Anyone else see's this issue ? Or has an idea what causes it ?

Thanks ! 

Cinbench OpenCL.tiff

Cinbench OpenCL 2.tiff

Found my issue, was to do with CSM not being disabled in BIOS.

When I had installed 10.12.6 Sierra I had tried to disable this & my PC wouldn't start, had to reset BIOS and then Sierra installed correctly with CSM enabled.

For High Sierra it is black screen without CSM disabled. Managed to disable now & no more black screen.

But now am hitting another issue ...

On Sierra, my Cinebench numbers are very inconsistent for OpenCL, ranging from 55 fps to 106 fps. I tried CSM enable, disable and it seems worse on disable, although both are inconsistent. Some screen shots attached showing in orange the different results

Anyone else see's this issue ? Or has an idea what causes it ?

Thanks ! 

Am having the exact same problem as you for an Asus rx480 dual oc 8gb

after using mac for a few, fps drops

after using it for hours becomes unusable, cinebench showing 20fps and Luxmark a 3000 score.

in windows, this doesn't happens.

a reboot fixes this issue, but you can't reboot every 20 mins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried Whatevergreen 1.1.2 & 1.1 with KPs with my Sapphire RX 480 8gb card :( 

Whatevergreen 1.0.4 leads to it seeming to finish loading OSX but then my main display turns light green instead of showing the log in screen and I'm stuck with my cuser there and it beachballs. 

I have Lilu.kext 1.2.0 in my clover kexts folder. 

I tried it in both first and second slot on my motherboard and even had my 'helper' HD7970 in there too for most attempts. 

I'm running a fresh install of High Sierra (the current offical release version, not a beta) on my Gigabyte Designare X99 system with a Xeon processor.

With my now dieing install of 10.12.5 I used a Sapphire HD 7970 as the helper card to keep the new sapphire Rx480 going with tweaks to the required kexts in the system folder. As I understand, that method is not needed now provided Whatevergreen works? I'm reluctant to mess around with my graphics kexts cause with 10.12 that led to more than a few problems. 

CSM in the bios seems to be a always on thing with my motherboard, but I disable all its options so I assume it makes it the equivalent of off? Not sure if thats a dealbreaker for Whatevergreen or not. 

the links on here didn't seem to work for me, but I found the Whatevergreen kexts on github. Am I missing something here that is required to get the RX480 going in High Sierra? 

I tried Whatevergreen 1.1.2 & 1.1 with KPs with my Sapphire RX 480 8gb card :(

Whatevergreen 1.0.4 leads to it seeming to finish loading OSX but then my main display turns light green instead of showing the log in screen and I'm stuck with my cuser there and it beachballs.

I have Lilu.kext 1.2.0 in my clover kexts folder.

I tried it in both first and second slot on my motherboard and even had my 'helper' HD7970 in there too for most attempts.

I'm running a fresh install of High Sierra (the current offical release version, not a beta) on my Gigabyte Designare X99 system with a Xeon processor.

With my now dieing install of 10.12.5 I used a Sapphire HD 7970 as the helper card to keep the new sapphire Rx480 going with tweaks to the required kexts in the system folder. As I understand, that method is not needed now provided Whatevergreen works? I'm reluctant to mess around with my graphics kexts cause with 10.12 that led to more than a few problems.

CSM in the bios seems to be a always on thing with my motherboard, but I disable all its options so I assume it makes it the equivalent of off? Not sure if thats a dealbreaker for Whatevergreen or not.

the links on here didn't seem to work for me, but I found the Whatevergreen kexts on github. Am I missing something here that is required to get the RX480 going in High Sierra?

I have ryzen 10.13 and tried 10.13.1 beta with a msi rx 480 4gigs

and what I did is put lilu AND whatevergreen kext in

System/Library/extension

Then run (kext utility ) very important

Anyway you can boot with another card to boot and makes these edits?

Or have a way to put those kext in that path(then boot and run kext utility)

I noticed that lilu and whatevergreen don’t matter in clover(well at least for me) you can also have lilu and whatevergreen in your clover kext just in case

I just had to do that step I mentioned

I have ryzen 10.13 and tried 10.13.1 beta with a msi rx 480 4gigs

and what I did is put lilu AND whatevergreen kext in

System/Library/extension

Then run (kext utility ) very important

Anyway you can boot with another card to boot and makes these edits?

Or have a way to put those kext in that path(then boot and run kext utility)

I noticed that lilu and whatevergreen don’t matter in clover(well at least for me) you can also have lilu and whatevergreen in your clover kext just in case

I just had to do that step I mentioned

I'll give that a go thanks.

I'm in 10.13 right now. But only running on my Sapphire HD7970.

How is Ryzen with OSX? I'm starting to see a fair number of folks running AMD hacks around here.

I'm a long time AMD Fan but my last AMD hack was a Phenom 6 core back in Snow Leopard. Took weeks to get going smoothly... I would be tempted to do a full AMD rig if its not too much hassle to get up and going. 

I'll give that a go thanks.

I'm in 10.13 right now. But only running on my Sapphire HD7970.

How is Ryzen with OSX? I'm starting to see a fair number of folks running AMD hacks around here.

I'm a long time AMD Fan but my last AMD hack was a Phenom 6 core back in Snow Leopard. Took weeks to get going smoothly... I would be tempted to do a full AMD rig if its not too much hassle to get up and going.

If your able to boot into 10.13 with hd 7979

You can add lilu and whatevergreen green to

System/library/ extension

Then run kext utility

Then restart and try your rx 480

Ryzen is good fast!!! There’s still a few bugs but nothing major

If you have 10.13 on a hard drive you would just need to make some disk edits and that’s pretty much it not to bad