AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

Just curious but has anyone tried injecting the RX 480 device id into the AMDRadeonX4000 using kext patching with clover?

Yes, me. And guess what: it's still not working "native". But it is working in conjunction with IGPU. So it is same behavior as any other "kext-patching" method.

The funny thing is: as long, as AMDRadeon4000.kext doesn't get loaded, all RX4x0 cards are running on a Hackintosh "out-of-the-box" (of cause without acceleration) - no black screen after verbose boot.

As soon as AMDRadeonX4000.kext gets loaded when using RX4x0 cards, Hackintosh shows black screen after verbose boot. But why does this effect only shows on Hackintosh, while on a real Mac5,1 the RX460 is really working "oob" ? Same RX4xx card: Hackintosh=blackscreen - real MacPro=running native

Yes, me. And guess what: it's still not working "native". But it is working in conjunction with IGPU. So it is same behavior as any other "kext-patching" method.

The funny thing is: as long, as AMDRadeon4000.kext doesn't get loaded, all RX4x0 cards are running on a Hackintosh "out-of-the-box" (of cause without acceleration) - no black screen after verbose boot.

As soon as AMDRadeonX4000.kext gets loaded when using RX4x0 cards, Hackintosh shows black screen after verbose boot. But why does this effect only shows on Hackintosh, while on a real Mac5,1 the RX460 is really working "oob" ? Same RX4xx card: Hackintosh=blackscreen - real MacPro=running native

Hmmm might have to just order 1 for myself and try it out on my real MP5,1

67DF 1002 = Polaris RX480 (only ID) No Support yet

It seems to be the same Device-ID as for RX470

470_w_450.gif

They both are Polaris 10 graphics cards - Maybe people with RX470 graphics cards (4096 MiB) could be able to flash them with RX480 4096MiB models graphics cards bios?  :yes:

Yes they are :)

Rx470 is just a "cutted chip"

I just edited my previous post - As there are two models of RX480 graphics cards... one with 8192MiB and other with 4096MiB... people with RX470 (a 4096MiB model graphics card) should be able to flash them into RX480 4096MiB graphics cards model.   ;)

I just edited my previous post - As there are two models of RX480 graphics cards... one with 8192MiB and other with 4096MiB... people with RX470 (a 4096MiB model graphics card) should be able to flash them into RX480 4096MiB graphics cards model. ;)

The only thing that can be a problem is that the RX470 has not a reference model made by AMD, also the RX460 has not a reference one...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

Could you please, try this experimental driver - RX_480_470_Experimental.zip

I know, it's a poor trying to add Ellesmere support in these drivers but it still is a try.  :P

• added 'AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator' key into Info.plist (based on Baffin model)
  • added Ellesmere support into AMDRadeonX4000 binary file ((based on Baffin model)
  • added Ellesmere support into binary file of GLDriver (based on Baffin model)

At your own risk!!!  :dev:

• Like 2

Could you please, try this experimental driver - attachicon.gifRX_480_470_Experimental.zip

I know, it's a poor trying to add Ellesmere support in these drivers but it still is a try.  :P

• added 'AMDEllesmereGraphicsAccelerator' key into Info.plist (based on Baffin model)
  • added Ellesmere support into AMDRadeonX4000 binary file ((based on Baffin model)
  • added Ellesmere support into binary file of GLDriver (based on Baffin model)

At your own risk!!!  :dev:

Whooahhh! I'll try it thanks!

• Like 1

They both are Polaris 10 graphics cards - Maybe people with RX470 graphics cards (4096 MiB) could be able to flash them with RX480 4096MiB models graphics cards bios?  :yes:

There is no RX480 with 4096MiB. AMD promised to release first Polaris 10-Cards in Q2/16 and a Polaris 10 based card for less then 200$ - but the regular RX 480 8192MiB card would be too expansiv and there was no time left to ramp up RX 480 4096MiB production. So they decided to cut some 8192MiB cards simply by BIOS into 4096 cards. If you have a 4096 card of the first batch, you're able to unlock it to a regular 8192 MiB card by flashing the correct BIOS.

But using the RX 480 BIOS on a RX 470 is much riskier, because the 470 isn't only cut in case of execution units/shaders but there are also different VRAM-chips used. RX 480 clocks it's VRAM with 4 GHz, while the RX 470 uses 3,5GHz. So there is a fair chance to get graphic glitches with the 480 BIOS... 

• Like 1

There is no RX480 with 4096MiB. AMD promised to release first Polaris 10-Cards in Q2/16 and a Polaris 10 based card for less then 200$ - but the regular RX 480 8192MiB card would be too expansiv and there was no time left to ramp up RX 480 4096MiB production. So they decided to cut some 8192MiB cards simply by BIOS into 4096 cards. If you have a 4096 card of the first batch, you're able to unlock it to a regular 8192 MiB card by flashing the correct BIOS.

But using the RX 480 BIOS on a RX 470 is much riskier, because the 470 isn't only cut in case of execution units/shaders but there are also different VRAM-chips used. RX 480 clocks it's VRAM with 4 GHz, while the RX 470 uses 3,5GHz. So there is a fair chance to get graphic glitches with the 480 BIOS...

Custom rx480 4gb extists... Sapphire nitro 4g for example...

Only reference models are 8gb only

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

When i try to open the files BIN within HEXFIEND, i get the message, that the file is broken or corrupt. So it maybe, that the files you uploaded are already corrupt.

Are you sure? I can open both binaries from X4000 and X4000GLDriver with HexFiend, they are not corrupted. 

• Like 1

i tried it two times: first directly by dragging BIN to hexfiend icon: got error.

But: if i open hexfiend first and open the BIN via the open dialog, the BIN data gets open and shown.

But normally i am able to open the BIN by dragging it onto the HEXFIEND icon.

When i try to open the files BIN within HEXFIEND, i get the message, that the file is broken or corrupt. So it maybe, that the files you uploaded are already corrupt.

No issue here with Hex Fiend  :(

That being said, I will try to investigate a little more on it - We can find a partial support of Ellesmere in the code. Don't know how Apple will deal with that... GM is so close and we still no have full support for that graphics card.  :(

Sorry guys for this unsuccess.  :(

• Like 2

No issue here with Hex Fiend  :(

That being said, I will try to investigate a little more on it - We can find a partial support of Ellesmere in the code. Don't know how Apple will deal with that... GM is so close and we still no have full support for that graphics card.  :(

Sorry guys for this unsuccess.  :(

No problem Fantomas, again thank you for your time spent on it :)

• Like 2