AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

Hello Matthew, first of all congratulations on your findings. Is there any way to your knowledge to utilize the RX 480 as a standalone GPU (without iGPU helper)?

Have you not been reading this thread?

I got my Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 working perfectly in 10.12.4, and I've seen the VBIOS procedure done to make the card work without the helper GPU.

But can I use Clover to load the patched VBIOS instead of directly flashing? I don't want to flash the VBIOS on my card just yet.

I got my Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 working perfectly in 10.12.4, and I've seen the VBIOS procedure done to make the card work without the helper GPU.

But can I use Clover to load the patched VBIOS instead of directly flashing? I don't want to flash the VBIOS on my card just yet.

No...It will not work 

Matthew82 tks a lot im following this tutorial and i get flash sucessfull my RX480; tks for everething.

[[ Now i have another problem, if someone could help me, please: im buy a GA-Z170XP-SLI and when im put Sapphire RX480 on 1slot and try boot my another AMD GPU 7xxx for boot on sierra, in 2slot for my surprise, not boot 2slot, just 1slot . Some good soul Know how to resolve this issue? ]]

EDIT:[sOLVED] This problem with some new MB its easy to fix, just unplugged cable from your GPU Slot and boot, when IGFX boot, plugged again and for some reason, the BIOS is change for boot a Slot that was choice. 

Tks a lot!!!

Edited by max.1974

Has anyone altered and flashed the PCI Device ID's on their card to match a supported ID in the kext's?  Doesn't seem like the kext really cares and would avoid the need to edit the kext constantly if you have a 470 or 480 series card.  Who cares if you give it a 460 device ID's if it acts native.

Has anyone altered and flashed the PCI Device ID's on their card to match a supported ID in the kext's?  Doesn't seem like the kext really cares and would avoid the need to edit the kext constantly if you have a 470 or 480 series card.  Who cares if you give it a 460 device ID's if it acts native.

Did you heard about fake ID with Clover?

• Like 1

A huge thanks to everyone working on this -- was able to get my two Asus Dual-Fan RX480 8G's working on 10.12.3! 

1) Started with a single 480 and Nvidia GT710 as a helper card (I have a Matrox IGPU so it's no good). For some reason the clover injection methods weren't working for me, I ended up editing info.plist in AMDRadeonX4100.kext, changing 0x67FF1002 to 0x67DF1002. That gave me acceleration on the 480, and I applied the CU patch to unlock all 36 compute units. I still needed the GT710 to boot. I tried putting in the second 480 but wasn't able to get a boot even with the GT710 helper card -- the setup only worked with a single 480 + helper card. 

2) I modified the 480's vbios so I wouldn't need the GT710 (thanks to Rhys216's method). This worked fine, I hoped this would allow me to insert the second 480 without needing to mod its bios but this wasn't the case. I couldn't get OS X to boot up with the unmodded 480 alongside the modded 480 even with the GT710 helper card still in the case. 

3) I modded the second 480's vbios and presto - both cards working in OS X and I don't need the GT710. Edit: for those interested in using the modded bios 480's in Windows, I had to use Crimson 16.9.1 as recent drivers check the bios signature and I got Error 43 in the Device Manager. 

4) With just the two 480's and no post/bios/bootloader showing up, I have two config.plist files - one specifies the MacOS disk as default and the other selects the Windows disk. I switch them out depending on which OS I want to boot up. I used this guide to mount the clover EFI partition in Windows. 

My Luxmark scores about doubled from the single 480. That being said, even on just one 480 Adobe Premiere is very unstable with OpenCL but I can use Metal API for rendering and it seems solid. My test scene with Metal API trounced the same scene on Windows with OpenCL, and they were both way better than my previous setup (two R9 280s). Edit: I've found that removing the extra CU patch (so CUs go from 36 to 16) improves my OpenCL stability in Premiere. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-03-11 at 2.57.33 PM.png

SwithDrawn,

I'm testing with ATI cards and an nVidia card as the primary.  Would you mind telling me what your experience is with the nVidia as primary and two modded ATI cards as secondary?  Does the nVidia card go blank on boot?

Would you mind telling me what your experience is with the nVidia as primary and two modded ATI cards as secondary?

You always can control all your injections via "Arbitrary" section in config.plist

• 3 weeks later...