AMD Polaris IDs on Sierra / High Sierra

Ciro82

870 posts in this topic

O.K. I have been trying for 3 months unsuccessfully to get Sierra working with my RX480. I never got a clear idea why a helper card was needed to get acceleration. I've seen a few heavy hitters here and elsewhere allude to trying to figure out why a helper card is needed, but no clear info yet. I've used a hd5750 and a hd4650 as helper cards that both have QE/CL. When I try to add my rx480 I get black screen, or reboot or freeze black screen in the middle of the boot. I've used all different combos of hdmi dvi and dp, CSM on and off, cables plugged in and not plugged in at clover boot, etc.etc.ect. My Asus board does not allow me to switch cards around and boot from say slot #3, so my helper is always slot#1 and rx480 I've tried in slot3and4. I have hackintoshed 5 different pc's since snow leopard, so it's not like I don't have a clue, but I don't have a clue. Any info would be appreciated,Thank you johnm

O.K. I have been trying for 3 months unsuccessfully to get Sierra working with my RX480. I never got a clear idea why a helper card was needed to get acceleration. I've seen a few heavy hitters here and elsewhere allude to trying to figure out why a helper card is needed, but no clear info yet. I've used a hd5750 and a hd4650 as helper cards that both have QE/CL. When I try to add my rx480 I get black screen, or reboot or freeze black screen in the middle of the boot. I've used all different combos of hdmi dvi and dp, CSM on and off, cables plugged in and not plugged in at clover boot, etc.etc.ect. My Asus board does not allow me to switch cards around and boot from say slot #3, so my helper is always slot#1 and rx480 I've tried in slot3and4. I have hackintoshed 5 different pc's since snow leopard, so it's not like I don't have a clue, but I don't have a clue. Any info would be appreciated,Thank you johnm

You need a helper card because the RX480 cannot be the primary GPU.  If it is the primary GPU, the driver crashes when it tries to initialize the card and you get a black screen.  

The only workaround at the moment is to set your primary GPU as the the 'helper card' in your BIOS, or if that is not an option, usually a motherboard will make the card in the first PCIE slot the primary.  So make sure your RX480 is NOT in this slot, and is in a different one.  The goal here is to make the computer/clover use the helper card.  You do not need anything plugged into it, but you should have your display plugged into the RX480.

If you did it correctly, you will get NO video on your display from the RX480 until right before the macOS desktop/login screen appears.  No BIOS post, no clover, no boot progress bar, nothing.  That is because it is sending the video to the 'helper' card because it is primary.  

If the RX480 is left untouched/unposted, then when the macOS AMD4100.kext driver loads (right at the end of the boot process), you will magically get accelerated video and the RX480 will work and you can ignore the helper card.  If you run into problems during boot, you have to manually plug your monitor into the helper card and see what's up.  

It's a less than ideal solution, but its what works for now.  

But what about no video signal on helper card when clover is BOOT:

On heleper i only see, motherboard logo and next when clover should appear i see "_"

This annoying becouse i want see what partition use... Any idea for that?

You need a helper card because the RX480 cannot be the primary GPU.  If it is the primary GPU, the driver crashes when it tries to initialize the card and you get a black screen.  

The only workaround at the moment is to set your primary GPU as the the 'helper card' in your BIOS, or if that is not an option, usually a motherboard will make the card in the first PCIE slot the primary.  So make sure your RX480 is NOT in this slot, and is in a different one.  The goal here is to make the computer/clover use the helper card.  You do not need anything plugged into it, but you should have your display plugged into the RX480.

If you did it correctly, you will get NO video on your display from the RX480 until right before the macOS desktop/login screen appears.  No BIOS post, no clover, no boot progress bar, nothing.  That is because it is sending the video to the 'helper' card because it is primary.  

If the RX480 is left untouched/unposted, then when the macOS AMD4100.kext driver loads (right at the end of the boot process), you will magically get accelerated video and the RX480 will work and you can ignore the helper card.  If you run into problems during boot, you have to manually plug your monitor into the helper card and see what's up.  

It's a less than ideal solution, but its what works for now.  

I've done everything just like you said over and over, in every conceivable way, like I said, for three months.

Nothing about what you have said is any different from what I've said I've done.

My questions is why do these few latest radeon cards need a helper card? I thought I had broken it down, clearly, what I've done, but you are saying the same things I already know and have tried. I appreciate your time and effort though.

Hi, have you tried using your iGPU as helper card and the RX480 in PCI-E slot 1? Maybe it's a silly thing like slot#3 only allows PCI-E x8 and not x16 and that's the reason the RX480 won't work there...

Hi, have you tried using your iGPU as helper card and the RX480 in PCI-E slot 1? Maybe it's a silly thing like slot#3 only allows PCI-E x8 and not x16 and that's the reason the RX480 won't work there...

Thanks, I don't have an igpu. I use an asusx99 board   no onboard gfx,but thank you

RX480 will work in x8 and x4, that's not the issue. It supposedly clover, but back burner for them. I'm just exploiting the topic keeping it alive,

I have to Asus x99. But I set everything on hd 6890 and then flash bios in my rx 480. Removed 6890 and boot only with rx 480 on PCIe slot 4. 

• Like 1

I have to Asus x99. But I set everything on hd 6890 and then flash bios in my rx 480. Removed 6890 and boot only with rx 480 on PCIe slot 4. 

Thank you. I'm willing to try flashing a new .rom on my card. Can you point me to the rom and flashing app? Also, can I dual boot to windows?

Why wouldn't you be able to use your 1st pcie slot? Thanks for the info

Thank you. I'm willing to try flashing a new .rom on my card. Can you point me to the rom and flashing app? Also, can I dual boot to windows?

Why wouldn't you be able to use your 1st pcie slot? Thanks for the info

1. Find your bios on techpoweup.com. For example this is me https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188335/gigabyte-rx480-8192-161026

2. Find your device id in hex editor 02 10 DF 67 and replace with something  not existing 02106B67 (This id is in two place in bios hex code) post-916820-0-76475300-1491340108_thumb.png

3. Save your new bios and find in google how to flash rx 480 in window 

• Like 2

RX480 from Sapphire have switch on board for bios select i think :) but for what you want to flash bios? this help something?  

You can boot OSX whiteout  helper card or igpu.

Hi @Matthew82

You could post a link or video tutorial that we can safely follow in doing the Bios flash. I have a Sapphire 8GB Nitro will it be that it has dual bios? Thank you.

When I find more time I will write some simple tutorial. But You can use this https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/amd-ati-flashing-guide.212849/

• Like 2

ok but one simple question or two :)

if you have changed bios, you have screen on the clover? Or you have symbol "_" on black screen

second someone confirm that you can switch bios between original to cfw? 

:)

ps this topic is mostly answer my question 

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9650/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-8gb-11260-01-20g-modded-bios-29-mh-downvolt

• Like 1

ok but one simple question or two :)

if you have changed bios, you have screen on the clover? Or you have symbol "_" on black screen

second someone confirm that you can switch bios between original to cfw? 

:)

You can switch bios if you gpu model have that switch :) You have only black screen, like in real MacPro

• Like 1

1) ohh so no difrent for my :( i have helper gpu but my moste problem is no screen on clover ...

is any way to fix that ? Becaouse i have windows and change boot without screen on clover is anoying ... (or even change on bios boot) 

2) i try flash mod image but i have error (backup org file flash ok) VBIOS image not found - ATIWinflash

• Like 1

This bios flash fixed my issues thanks! 

Previously my ASUS H170-Plus with Sapphire Nitro RX 480 would switch to using PEG graphics if the cable to the onboard intel was unplugged, but I had to unplug the cable to stop the ghost display showing up. With the BIOS fix everything is working perfectly, also fixes a problem with sleep! (Where youtube/other videos would not play after waking from sleep).

I wouldnt do this if you dont have a dual bios card. Otherwise it is not so easy to recover if something is messed up. With dual bios you just flick a switch and card goes back to old bios.

What I did.

1) Install windows (can just download windows 10 and skip enter serial) on a spare drive. Wait for Windows to install AMD drivers or download and install from AMD, I just waited for windows to install it.

2) Download a hex editor (I used https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/)

3) Download latest AtiFlash from techpowerup and extract to desktop

4) Run cmd.exe as administrator and change to desktop directory

5) Enter command 'atiflash -i' to check GPU is detected. Mine was adapter number 0 (If its not detected you probably dont have the driver installed!)

6) Run, atiflash -s 0 orig.rom

7) Copy orig.rom to new.rom and open new.rom in Hex editor

8) As above post say, replace all '0210DF67' with '02106B67' and save rom

9) Back to cmd.exe and run 'atiflash -f -p 0 new.rom'

10) Shutdown and switch video bios to secondary, boot up and disable onboard graphics etc in bios. Remove windows drive if you dont need it.

11) Reboot and make sure clover boots to MacOS, just shutdown before it boots. (You can still boot the old way using onboard/amd by using the secondary bios if you need to fix any clover stuff at this point).

12) Switch back to main GPU bios and boot up to great black screen with no iGPU used!

After booting into OSX using only the RX 480 I also removed any of the iGPU config from clover.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy http://www.anandtech.com/show/11278/amd-radeon-rx-580-rx-570-review

3%

OS Support

Windows 7 - 32-Bit Edition
Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition
Windows 10 - 64-Bit Edition
Linux x86_64
Ubuntu x86 64-Bit

Hardly an upgrade performance wise. Downgrade power draw wise. A lot more quiet which is nice! Hopefully Vega performs better.

NVidia has become a lot more attractive now that the 10X0 series has Mac web drivers, but I'm still happy with my RX 460 as the drivers are built into the OS and therefore you don't have the danger of NVidia discontinuing their web drivers or being late. The Radeon is fast enough for what I do - it does 1080P gaming no problem which is good enough for me.