10 years ago - Those were the days ;-)

9 posts in this topic

Hello old-schoolers and new-schoolers!

Insanelymac, Infinitemac and me, 10 years ago... and now I'm finally switching from my AMD Opteron to an Core i7 :D

Incredible... My system based on Leo4All 10.5.3 was installed 2008 and still works absolutely stable, just the boot time has increased.

While backupping my harddisks, I found some old screenshots, look below... Tiger on my Athlon 64 3400+ SSE2, with Netscape. But it's made on a Windows XP system, with a patch made to look it like Tiger. The screenshot was made on September 02, 2006, but my first system was partially working around May. According to everymac, the first Intel iMac4,1 appeared in January 10, 2006 and possible a bit later in Germany. So I'm really a long-time OSx86 user B) I remembered booting a 10.4.4 installation - as the Apple bootscreen started the Finder appeared... I'll never forget that feeling. No SATA, no network, only 1024x768 in flickering 60 Hz on an 21" CRT monitor... but it was so amazing. But since 10.4.5, perhaps 10.4.6 all my components of my nForce 3 system were working. During the time from 2006 to 2008 I tested more than 50 different install DVDs. Most noticeably was Myzars 10.4.6 and 10.4.7, which worked out of the box. Since JaS' 10.4.8 all Tiger images had a heavy bug in the Disk Utility, so they weren't ususeable for me. However, I tested all till 10.4.11, but all kept this bug. Zephyroth's 10.5.2 was the first Leopard image I tested, others followed, then I used Leo4All 10.5.3 with an AMD patched 10.5.8 update. I still have some Leopard systems, one on a 12 year old HP Pavilion zd7000 I found on the trash, the other one on a Xeon Quadcore system. For this I'm using the XxX 10.5.6 Image, it has lots of drivers onboard, only languages are missing.

Those days insanelymac really was the only source for OSx86. The site was more than one time banned, nearly completely deleted, sold and whatever. It was no good feeling if you want to enter the site and there was only a white screen with an error message. And if OSx86 wasn't critical enough at this time, then came Psystar and fought a lawsuit against Apple! Today, with hundreds of web pages in all languages, it's impossible to get OSx86 out of the world.

Around 2008 I switched to the new infinitemac forum. It was more AMD-based and I became a mod directly after it was founded, that's why I only have a few posts here. Later it was a bit unlucky: After the switch from Quicktime 7.4.5 to 7.5 a simple DivX movie needed about 90% CPU time on my Athlon 64 4000+. I found out that it was the Radeon X1600 Pro, so I replaced them in 4 computers against a HD2600 XT. Then came Snow Leopard, and there was very bad AMD support the first time. And the HD2600 XT wasn't supported anymore, and I don't wanted to change all my graphics cards again. So I retired for a long time. I first started again as Yosemite appeared. I had a Core i7 3770K system laying around for some time, but I was too lazy to built it, even for Windows. I still used my AMD Opteron, which was a long time overclocked to 2.95 GHz. Today it isn't even fast enough to play a Full-HD movie, YouTube is helluva slow because of the H.264 compression, and I sometimes get an error message 'Your browser is outdated' - well, Firefox 16 was the last one for Leopard. Mozilla dropped PowerPC support already at version 3. PowerPC or Tiger users can use TenFourFox, it already works on a G3. There's not enough software for Leopard anymore - a reason why I have to change my system.

Having paused for such a long time really can be a problem, bootloders Chameleon and Clover with it's thousand settings, ACPI patches, SMBIOS and DSDT stuff are making it maybe more compatible, but much more difficult. Chameleon 1.0 is so easy: Just install it, and it works. No GUI, no settings, it even can't select another drive or an USB stick. It's only possible to enter kernel options. A modified kernel was common those days, mostly based on the Voodoo kernel, I have AnV's Kernel 9.8.0 on my AMD.

So, to all the old-schoolers in here: Have you some stories about your first installations? Was it more fun, because at those days it was always a task to create first patches as fast as possible after every update? Were installations easier or more difficult? Do you have some old screenshots laying around? A 10-year time machine would be interesting...

Greets, naquaada.

post-30028-0-20536100-1465978056_thumb.png

• Like 8

One word, Wow!  I have my Nice FX 6300, 8GB DDR3, GTX 750 TI, and you had an optereon, things sure have changed in , wait... 10 years, nevermind, that is quite awhile ago.

Hi,

I have an old AMD pc with Leopard which still runs very well ...

I had changed boot logo with Apple logo , and it was pretty good.

I don't remember how many times i had tried to get things working , before i was able to get Qe/ci , audio and others stufs ...

In a word old times -> good times ...

See Ya

• Like 1

You remind me my first installation. It was OSX 10.4.1 with Maxxuss patch to remove TPM on a P4 Prescott with ATI 9700 Pro..............

• 2 weeks later...