Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (UPDATE Sept 27, 2019)

1,025 posts in this topic

@hexxus 

I'm in the same boat as you, but with some mer experience.  I think most of this community is hackintoshes.

You'll need to have an older official GPU as installed, I have the stock gt120 at the ready for when things go sideways. The card you have installed has no EFI drivers so it won't show boot screen or anything.   I'm actually sending my card (gtx970) to macvidcards.com for a custom flash here in January when I'm on vacation.  This will make it just work on the mac pro like any other stock mac card.

So, to get it working on your system get the older GPU in there as well as the new one, connect a display to the old GPU, install the nvidia web driver, reboot and the new card should now work, but only after  initial boot, you'll never be able to get boot screen support unless you too get it custom flashed.   This guy at macvidcards has pretty much reverse engineered some firmware and whatnot to made this work, he's not sharing it, there appears to be no other way to do it on an nVidia card.

• Like 1

Hey everyone... I'm finishing up on a new build (due to my old motherboard dying on me)

I've got an i7-3770, Asrock Z77 OC Formula and a GTX980.

I can't boot with the 980. It was working just fine with the old motherboard (an MSI p67a). Now, if I use nv_disable, it boots ok (without acceleration obviously) and if i use NvidiaWeb, I get a black screen (with no errors, and there is actually a signal being sent to the display; it's just blank), and the machine doesn't finish booting up (I know because I can't VNC into it).

All this is to say that no, it is NOT the AGDP issue. I'm using iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

Today this happened and I left it like that a while to see if it ever finished up booting (seeing as I'd read about people experiencing long boot-times on a black screen) but after a while I had to turn it off because, I {censored} you not, there was smoke and the smell of burnt plastic. I have no idea _what_ burnt, the only symptom I've seen so far is the BIOS doesn't recognize HDs plugged into the Marvell SATA3 controllers (but Windows sees the drives, so I don't think they actually died, or the ports, for that matter)

Needless to say, I haven't attempted to boot Sierra again.

Any ideas?

Do not inject Nvidia.

Hi,

Where is your System report ?

Did you use these webdrivers  ?    macOS 10.12.2 (16C67) 367.15.10.25f01  or (16C68) 367.15.10.25f02

Which graphic card did you use for the 10.12.2 install ?  (before changing to GTX 980Ti)

May be a NVRAM reset  could help  ....    (  Cmd (⌘) + Opt + P + R)  on boot

Good luck

Hey there, the system report was uploaded however I don't see it in my post.

I've got a GT 120 and an ATI 4870, 4870 was not in the machine during the tests.  I used these web drivers "(16C68) 367.15.10.25f02"  Strange

thing is the PCI part of the report... it's as if it doesn't have the kext for my EVGA GTX 980TI SC

Thanks for the help!!

@hexxus 

I'm in the same boat as you, but with some mer experience.  I think most of this community is hackintoshes.

You'll need to have an older official GPU as installed, I have the stock gt120 at the ready for when things go sideways. The card you have installed has no EFI drivers so it won't show boot screen or anything.   I'm actually sending my card (gtx970) to macvidcards.com for a custom flash here in January when I'm on vacation.  This will make it just work on the mac pro like any other stock mac card.

So, to get it working on your system get the older GPU in there as well as the new one, connect a display to the old GPU, install the nvidia web driver, reboot and the new card should now work, but only after  initial boot, you'll never be able to get boot screen support unless you too get it custom flashed.   This guy at macvidcards has pretty much reverse engineered some firmware and whatnot to made this work, he's not sharing it, there appears to be no other way to do it on an nVidia card.

Thanks Neoneddy! 

I tried that exactly, and unfortunately with both of my EVGA GTX 980TI SC's I get the same result. Black screen forever. (I have an SSD as OS X boot up is usually in the 15 second range.) I left it for 5 minutes with a single monitor to no effect. Take a look at my System Report... kind of strange there.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the cost to send your card to macvidcards.com and have them flash yours for you? I may need to do that.

post-1932422-0-72861200-1483061100_thumb.png

Do not inject Nvidia.

I wasn't. I already managed to get it fixed, with the DisableASPM thing, which is why I recommended it above to people who are experiencing the prolonged black screen issue. (I assume my case was an extreme version of that!)

I don't have to use webdrivers at all when booting 10.12. I can boot with Sierra's stock kexts and I do have full QE/CI doing so and it's working pretty well. I don't need Inject NVIDIA = true either and never had to BTW, whether it's El Capitan or Yosemite. Actually, if I set it to true, macOS won't boot.

But I agree that it's probably the ROM of those cards that makes a lot of difference depending of the manufacturers of the GT 730/740 Series. Mine comes from Gainward and I maybe have better performance and/or better support from OS X by flashing it with one from Gigabyte for instance.

Indeed. But not on the whole GUI, just on top menu bar. Sometimes, a black square appears or some extra menus like the Creative Cloud one from Adobe displays with a lot of artifacts. Seems like they're less frequent if not absent on Sierra though.

I'm not really sure it's specific to the 730 since I've also experienced the black square even on my GTX 650 Ti (which is a "true" Kepler and works OOB) when using webdrivers :unsure:.

Hi, I have the same black square issue on my GTX960, did you find any solution?

try 10.12.1 driver

change to NVDAStartupWeb.kext 16B to 16C(10.12.2)/16D(10.12.3)

• Like 1

Mac OS X version 10.12.2 (16C68) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

i got this message when tried to install older version. how i can install older version ?

Mac OS X version 10.12.2 (16C68) is not supported with this package. Please see NVIDIA’s website for further driver information.

i got this message when tried to install older version. how i can install older version ?

There are different Webdrivers for macOS 10.12.2 !

(16C67) 367.15.10.25f01  (16C68) 367.15.10.25f02

Hi, I have the same black square issue on my GTX960, did you find any solution?

I do see those artifacts as well. Mainly with iStat menus - from time to time the background of these menu items shortly flash with a black background.

But starting with Sierra I also did see those black squares in other apps as well, for example with the console.app

Since those squares never appeared with the OS X driver (used an original Titan before switching to the Titan X), I think it is an issue with the web drivers, and / or the apps that exhibit this problem.

There is no Maxwell drivers so its definitely an issue with the drivers  :idea:

I have gtx980 and constantly playing blizzard games on sierra and didn't see any problem so far beside of transparent iBooks problem. Those artifacts should be related to specific apps which not properly supported by sierra yet.

Besides the fact that "WebDrivers" are specifically made only for authentic mac cards we can add in that OpenCL and Metal are both proprietary to Apple and that Nvidia has only been provided basic support at best. You might be of the opinion that everything is working correctly but the fact is it will never be supported until Apple actually uses the hardware.

• Like 1

Those artifacts should be related to specific apps which not properly supported by sierra yet.

No, I am pretty sure it's the drivers. Again, by using the native OS X drivers (with a Kepler chip in my case) those artifacts do not show up, but using the NVIDIA drivers with the same card, they do.

Another thing I noticed  is that by using the web drivers, the GPU fan speed is always shown with "19RPM" in iStat Pro (and HWMonitor as well) - which of course is (gladly) not the truth. By using the native drivers I get the correct sensor readings. However with the Sierra drivers, things are somewhat improved, as the correct RPM is shown again, but then I get a second fan reading with a bogus RPM value.

So as Joe said, the web drivers are not 100% flawless, and this even applies to a chipset which is otherwise able to work with the native OS X drivers!

So, if you want to run Maxwell, you can do that. And surely my "new" Titan X runs circles around the "classic" Titan I had before, at least when it comes to windows performance. Plus, it runs cooler and much more silent, so I don't regret upgrading (at least so far). And be aware that there are basically no new Maxwell GPUs to buy anymore, so you have to get a used one.

But there is a price to pay, because from that point, you have to rely on the availability of the web driver "support", and you might run into some glitches that may or may not be critical, depending on your situation. For example if you want to use the iBook Author app you will have some serious problem, as it only shows a black editing area, at least for me ... Another thing is that you should get 30 bit support (with a matching monitor of course), but this also does not seem to work as it should (but that is maybe worth another thread)

And actually this is quite worrying imho for the whole hackintosh thing as well, as I guess that most of you run with NVIDIA cards. No current Mac model runs NVIDIA chips, and what will happen, when those machines that do - or can do like cMP - are rendered obsolete? We should be safe with Sierra, but what about 10.13 or 10.14?? So it may happen that at a certain point we are locked in ... not good. I mean, we already have to thank NVIDIA for their "unofficial" support, but I could understand if they say "screw you Apple". So lets hope they won't drop the ball on us.

• Like 2

No, I am pretty sure it's the drivers. Again, by using the native OS X drivers (with a Kepler chip in my case) those artifacts do not show up, but using the NVIDIA drivers with the same card, they do.

Another thing I noticed  is that by using the web drivers, the GPU fan speed is always shown with "19RPM" in iStat Pro (and HWMonitor as well) - which of course is (gladly) not the truth. By using the native drivers I get the correct sensor readings. However with the Sierra drivers, things are somewhat improved, as the correct RPM is shown again, but then I get a second fan reading with a bogus RPM value.

So as Joe said, the web drivers are not 100% flawless, and this even applies to a chipset which is otherwise able to work with the native OS X drivers!

So, if you want to run Maxwell, you can do that. And surely my "new" Titan X runs circles around the "classic" Titan I had before, at least when it comes to windows performance. Plus, it runs cooler and much more silent, so I don't regret upgrading (at least so far). And be aware that there are basically no new Maxwell GPUs to buy anymore, so you have to get a used one.

But there is a price to pay, because from that point, you have to rely on the availability of the web driver "support", and you might run into some glitches that may or may not be critical, depending on your situation. For example if you want to use the iBook Author app you will have some serious problem, as it only shows a black editing area, at least for me ... Another thing is that you should get 30 bit support (with a matching monitor of course), but this also does not seem to work as it should (but that is maybe worth another thread)

And actually this is quite worrying imho for the whole hackintosh thing as well, as I guess that most of you run with NVIDIA cards. No current Mac model runs NVIDIA chips, and what will happen, when those machines that do - or can do like cMP - are rendered obsolete? We should be safe with Sierra, but what about 10.13 or 10.14?? So it may happen that at a certain point we are locked in ... not good. I mean, we already have to thank NVIDIA for their "unofficial" support, but I could understand if they say "screw you Apple". So lets hope they won't drop the ball on us.

Well you are %100 sure correct and fully agree with you. I just would like to thank Nvidia as well for "at least" running maxwell on sierra. After all it's not bad for running unofficially supported card on Hackintosh. Since a several years, it's was known that most of Apple product's used AMD cards. Further, i have purchased my card with taking into consideration that only being supported by webdrivers. So, there is no guarantee that it's gonna work in all upcoming OS versions. To me as conclusion, I don't see any logic point of complaining about something not working correctly. All of hackintoshers should clearly know that, they must cherry pick very specific version of very specific hardwares if they want to get guarantee that everything will properly work in each os upgrade, etc..

• Like 1

Glad to see you come around to reality, frankiee   :console:

To be honest, 10.11 has almost the same performance and function as Kepler with Maxwell so I have been using 10.11.6 as my daily OS and most likely will be until they bring back nv graphics. Most likely any new drivers will provide support that will cover past Maxwell platform. We will have to cross our fingers that it doesn't introduce bugs like with past Fermi cards.

• Like 2

Waiting for AMD Vega. An immediate switch will be imminent if it's going to be used in upcoming Apple hardware. There won't be any Nvidia originated GPUs being used in Apple as long as there is conflict of interests such as Cuda vs OpenCL etc..

Update: Also some interesting stuff if you would like to read. Performance wise Nvidia might outperform but 85W TDP is really huge when you compare with 35W TDP

https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/16/macbook-pro-why-amd-gpu/