Nvidia Web Driver updates for macOS Sierra (UPDATE Sept 27, 2019)

1,025 posts in this topic

You don't have a display port or dvi you could try?? maybe switching the connector, mine, next to mainboard, works best, some ports work better than others...

Edit: Oh, I just saw you have a mobile grafic card, sorry

Yes i am using a laptop, the images are same, distorted on the laptop display and secondary display.

Can someone give me a hint of what could be wrong 

attachicon.gifpost-1587837-0-03469300-1474811367.png

My screen is all distorted with pixels but resolution is correct, even the model number is correctly identified by Nvidia

It is distorted only for some windows and Desktop background, finder, etc... chrome gives be correct rendering most of the time.

But the RAM is only 1023 MB instead of 1024 MB

Using NVIDIA Web Driver : 367.15.10.05f01

System Information : 

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 1.73 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 12 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.39f11

Graphics : 

NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 425M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1023 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0df0

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: VBIOS 70.08.19.00.5f

Metal: Supported

Displays:

BenQ GW2760HS:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p)

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: CAE00316SL0 

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Television: Yes

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

I have the same problems as you. I think it's the Nvidia f01 update that causes that to some cards. My GT730 did the same glitches, meanwhile when I change to my GT640, all is good.

We might have to wait for the next update, I guess. :) 

I don't think it's hardware problem personally. Because my GT730 works well under El Capitan and Nvidia El capitan web drivers just before I updated to macOS Sierra.

• Like 1

Looks like you're right.

I got a GT 730 that absolutely needs webdrivers in El Capitan and below but runs just fine in Sierra without them.

Do you mean we can use the OSX drivers for it to run properly? I'm using the Nvidia f01 drivers for Sierra, and i'm seeing graphics glitches right now. So, should I revert to OSX drivers? Would I be able to boot the mac?

Thanks.

Do you mean we can use the OSX drivers for it to run properly? I'm using the Nvidia f01 drivers for Sierra, and i'm seeing graphics glitches right now. So, should I revert to OSX drivers? Would I be able to boot the mac?

Thanks.

I can only speak for myself and for my GT 730. But I confirm it doesn't need webdrivers anymore on all builds of Sierra. Just try and you'll see :).

I can only speak for myself and for my GT 730. But I confirm it doesn't need webdrivers anymore on all builds of Sierra. Just try and you'll see :).

Yes, I'm using the GT730 as well on my mac pro 2008 3,1. Well that's great news, let me try to boot it without the use of Nvidia web drivers then. I will let you know how it goes :)

Edit:

OMG, you're right! The built in macOS Sierra drivers could drive my GT730 without Nvidia f01 web driver. You're a genius for finding this out! :P

• Like 1

A genius ! Not at all !

Actually, I only discover this because I totally forgot to boot Sierra with nv_disable=1 as I was used to with previous OS X versions :blush: !

So it was just by pure luck :hysterical: !

;) It has actually been that way for awhile. You can boot El Capitan with built-in support for assorted lower-end GT 7xx models so long as they are Kepler based.

Really, this confusion is just because of Nvidia's naming conventions. 7xx cards should all be the same family (Maxwell) for the sanity of consumers.

• Like 1

;) It has actually been that way for awhile. You can boot El Capitan with built-in support for assorted lower-end GT 7xx models so long as they are Kepler based.

Really, this confusion is just because of Nvidia's naming conventions. 7xx cards should all be the same family (Maxwell) for the sanity of consumers.

Nope :).

At least with my GT 730. I'm still wondering why but it never worked on EC/Yos even if it's supposed to be Kepler based. I don't really know if it's specific to 730/740 Series but those cards never worked unless you use the webdrivers.

My guess is there was a problem with previous OS X stock kexts that has been fixed with Sierra.

Still, I agree that naming convention brings a lot of confusion and should be clarified !

Yep, Clover devs found an way to get  nvda_drv=1 working again. (Has to do that web driver not more using kernel flag , insted reading nvram value = chameleon hasnt nvram anymore).

Damn. So at this stage, anyone using enoch/chameleon boot loader with Sierra and nvidia web driver is unable to get their card to work? I have a 750ti and it defaults to using the osx driver every time.

Please advise.

thank you.

I have a 750ti and it defaults to using the osx driver every time.

Do you have full QE/CI with default driver ? If so, it just means that the nvda_drv-1 is not injected but who care since it's working ?

I mean, it's a Maxwell based card so if the webdrivers wasn't enabled, you wouldn't boot at all.

I'm able to get Sierra to boot into useable system driver 367.15.10.05 on build 16A323, Clover 3763, on a clean install with NvidiaWeb=true. 

However, with my GTX 960, I'm only able to view the various higher resolutions of my UP3214Q at 30hz, not at 60hz as I do on El Capitan. Anybody else seeing the same results?

I'm able to get Sierra to boot into useable system driver 367.15.10.05 on build 16A323, Clover 3763, on a clean install with NvidiaWeb=true. 

However, with my GTX 960, I'm only able to view the various higher resolutions of my UP3214Q at 30hz, not at 60hz as I do on El Capitan. Anybody else seeing the same results?

I dont get a display output from my card using the osx default driver hence why I need to use the webdriver. I cant use the webdrive with enoch boot loader due to the fact that nvda_drv does not work in Sierra/Enoch.

Many thanks to everyone's hard work getting the 9xx series to work in sierra.  Thanks to your help, I currently have my home MP 5,1 working properly with with a 980. :)  I use this machine for testing things before deploying them in our work environment, which is a film finishing studio with multiple workstations and rooms.  There, we are are still on 10.11.6 on all of our Davinci Resolve stations.   

Sadly, I have had four GTX 1080's patiently waiting new in the box since July, and have been following this and a couple other threads closely since then.  The 1080's will be going into our main master color suite and housed in a Cubix expander.  Currently there are 4 GTX 780's 6GB in that enclosure.

I'm really looking forward to the performance boost of the 1080's, but the lack of pascal support in each driver release from nVidia is getting discouraging.  I have come close to buying four GTX980 TI's to use in the interim but have fingers crossed the next release is going to support pascal, with disappointment each time it doesn't.  

I know it has been asked a bunch here already, but does anyone have any encouraging words for me regarding pascal support moving forward?  Or should I just pull the trigger on 4 discounted 980Ti's for now?

Hi guys,

First post here... so please excuse me if all of this has already been asked/answered. 

But I think it hasn't. 

I currently run a MacPro 4,1 that I have already upgraded a little. 

I first changed the CPU's. Original where 2 X 2.93Gh Quad-Core CPU's. Swapped them for the same, but Hexa-Core. 

I upgraded RAM a little to go from 8GB stock to 40GB and plan to go to 80GB soon. 

I of course updated the lame HDD's Apple provides (the WD 640GB units !!!) and changed them for a bunch of SSD's and HDD's.

I also added a PCI card that holds up to 4 mSATA drives. 

So storage is now, internal : (2 X 500GB SSD in RAID0  used as start-up + 2 X 600GB Intel SSD in RAID 0 + 3 X 64 Kingston SSD in RAID 0 + 2 X 1TB Samsung HDD in RAID 0 + 3TB WD Black). 

Whole thing is powered by MacOSX Sierra. It's labelled 16A323, but I think it's the GM since I could download it after I registered for beta software. 

I think the weak point of my set-up is the GPU. 

It still has the old Radeon HD 5870. 

So I wanted to get this upgraded and got me a GTX 970 (a MSI Gaming 4G) for what I consider a fair price (160€... I live in France). 

As I came home, I installed the latest webdrivers. 

Once installed, I rebooted as instructed. 

I then powered on the Mac and selected the "NVidia drivers" in the Pref Pane. 

I then shut down the machine and swapped the card. 

On reboot : card powers up (the nice MSI logo shines white... nice !) and fans are turning (really silent ! )

But I get nothing but a black screen and maybe 20 seconds after the start-up chime rings, fans turn down do not turn anymore. 

If I put back the Radeon and reboot, it seems that the NVidia driver isn't loaded at startup :-(

So I have some probably really basic questions : 

- As I think I have the GM, I assume I should try to install the GM webdriver... but as GM and Final release have the same build number, would that really make a difference ? 

- So far I installed the GM driver, but haven't rebooted or installed the card. It tells me that there's an update... but that update would get the same version that I know isn't working. Should I upgrade nonetheless ? 

- Would it be worth to upgrade MacOs (as it is free) to regular 10.12 ? 

What would you advise ? 

Thanks for your answers. 

Does anyone know if the Nvidia 500 series is supported by MacOS Sierra? I can't get my GF520 to work with or without web drivers. It runs fine in El Capitan (natively). Tried several solutions without luck. It boots fine in the right resolution, but hangs when loading the desktop. With nv_disable=1 no crash.

Vanilla install with latest clover.

@polyzargone what symptom does your card show when booting 10.12 ? The GT 730 is a mess judging on all the case I have seen. It seems you must use WebDrivers to enable QE/CI, but some handful OEMs need to have InjectNvidia=True in order to get it working with WebDrivers ( Asus, Zotac so far ) while some doesn't need it at all ( Gigabyte ). I think the problem is in the ROM of the card. Also do you experience random black screen flickering on your GT730 with recent El Capitan WebDrivers ?

@polyzargone what symptom does your card show when booting 10.12 ? The GT 730 is a mess judging on all the case I have seen. It seems you must use WebDrivers to enable QE/CI, but some handful OEMs need to have InjectNvidia=True in order to get it working with WebDrivers ( Asus, Zotac so far ) while some doesn't need it at all ( Gigabyte ). I think the problem is in the ROM of the card.

I don't have to use webdrivers at all when booting 10.12. I can boot with Sierra's stock kexts and I do have full QE/CI doing so and it's working pretty well. I don't need Inject NVIDIA = true either and never had to BTW, whether it's El Capitan or Yosemite. Actually, if I set it to true, macOS won't boot.

But I agree that it's probably the ROM of those cards that makes a lot of difference depending of the manufacturers of the GT 730/740 Series. Mine comes from Gainward and I maybe have better performance and/or better support from OS X by flashing it with one from Gigabyte for instance.

Also do you experience random black screen flickering on your GT730 with recent El Capitan WebDrivers ?

Indeed. But not on the whole GUI, just on top menu bar. Sometimes, a black square appears or some extra menus like the Creative Cloud one from Adobe displays with a lot of artifacts. Seems like they're less frequent if not absent on Sierra though.

I'm not really sure it's specific to the 730 since I've also experienced the black square even on my GTX 650 Ti (which is a "true" Kepler and works OOB) when using webdrivers :unsure:.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but new CUDA driver is here!!!

8.0.46 got it via pref plane or from here http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/cuda_8_0/cudadriver_8.0.46_macos.dmg

CUDA-Z works now

in Geekbench 4.0.1 selecting CUDA is possible, but it doesn't work for me...

In size it's just about 24MB compared to 45MB from the 7.5.30 version.

EDIT: Just noticed cuda-z version (now) running is 0.10.251, 0.11.259SVN is not working.

• Like 1

@phi: It has been mentioned before. But i didnt know that cpu-z works now.

@all: I did have a chat with the nvidia support. I did ask them for confirmation if there will be a web driver for pascal gpus with a sierra os. I got the answer that the can neither confirm nor deny if there will be a driver in the future :P OH MY GOD. They should tell us at least if there will be a driver in future.... i dont need a release date :/