Asus Zenbook 3 - Retina MacBook Lookalike

VirusX

7 posts in this topic

"Asus Announces ZenBook 3, a Retina MacBook Lookalike That is Thinner, Lighter, and Faster"

full story including video:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/30/asus-zenbook-3-vs-macbook-retina-12-inch/

"ZenBook 3 will be available in the third quarter of 2016, starting at $999 in the U.S. for the base model with an Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD. A 512GB SSD model will sell for $1,499, while the top-range Intel Core i7 model with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD will cost $1,999."

With the i5 and i7 CPU choices, it might cover some user wishes.

I personally wait for the MBP announcements since I am in the market for a laptop and I am debating if I will go the easy way and just spend the money on a MacBook or get a Windows laptop and hope for good hackintosh support ;)

What do you guys think - does this laptop have potential?

Interesting! I'd love to see how it works on Mac OS X.  (or macOS, depending on who you listen to). If it can surpass the new MacBook Pros (probably) then I reckon it'd be a fine Hackintosh. However, the price is very steep. Nearly as much as Apple is wanting for their devices...

- Matt

Yes, I agree that the prices are quite high, but you will also get more powerful CPUs. I guess some users would like to have a rMB but are hesitant because of the Core M CPUs Apple uses.

Also the prices could see a drop after a few weeks/months - I don't think they will be as price stable as the Apple products are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

macbook without magic trackpad = 1/2 macbook imo.

I always wanted to do a hack and modify the laptop to actually use the OEM macbook trackpad... That's what kills it for me with laptops, it's just never quite the same no matter how good the kexts are.