Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU!

297 posts in this topic

Well, sort of good news. I've got a lead.

If I disable XHCI in the BIOS, the problem disappears. This explains why I didn't experience this issue in Yosemite - I had it disabled because it caused performance issues to to XHCI interrupts, and the other solution people were using (GenUSBXHCI) caused freezing problems with my NI Maschine in the past so I opted against using it. So this is the first time that I've actually properly working XHCI on this hack.

I took a look at the DSDT and found this in _INI:

If (LGreaterEqual (OSYS, 0x0D))
                {
                    If (LEqual (XCNT, 0x00))
                    {
                        ^PCI0.XHCI.XSEL (0x00)
                        Store (0x84, IO80)
                        Increment (XCNT)
                    }
                }
                Else
                {
                    If (LEqual (OSYS, 0x0C))
                    {
                        If (LEqual (ECNT, 0x00))
                        {
                            ^PCI0.XHCI.ESEL ()
                            Increment (ECNT)
                        }
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Store (OSYS, IO80)
                    }
                }

Looks like this is where it initialized the XHCI ports? 0x0D OSYS is "Windows 2012," so any version of Windows older than that won't be using that instruction. I'm using the "FixDarwin" option in Clover which identifies the OS as "Windows 2001 (0x08)." (Should I not be using this anymore?) So I think it's supposed to be doing some sort of initilization that it's not, and Windows is leaving the ports in a state where OS X doesn't know what to do with them... So I'll see what happens when I tell it to use that instruction. 

I have no idea what the Store (OSYS, IO80) part does... I wish I knew how to actually read this stuff properly :-/

I disabled the FixDarwin patch and attempted to mask it as Windows 2012... For some reason the patch didn't work, but it seems like disabling FixDarwin resolved the issue so far. I haven't had that kernel panic rebooting from Windows yet.

This is the patch... Not sure why it doesn't work. Also not even sure if Windows 2012 is a good idea to use. This is basically just the Windows 2012 OS check patch from Rehabman's repo BTW.

<key>Comment</key>
<string>win 2012 os check</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
SWYgKF9PU0kgKCJXaW5kb3dzIDIwMTIiKSk=
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SWYoTE9yKF9PU0koIkRhcndpbiIpLF9PU0koIldpbmRvd3MgMjAxMiIpKSk=
</data>

I have the correct boot sequence and have fast boot disabled. but i am also encountering this issue occasionally. after reading the last few post it does seems to happen after i boot into windows....

hope someone can find a fix.

I have the correct boot sequence and have fast boot disabled. but i am also encountering this issue occasionally. after reading the last few post it does seems to happen after i boot into windows....

hope someone can find a fix.

Do you have the "FixDarwin" DSDT fix enabled in your Clover config? If so try disabling that. It's not a perfect solution because it doesn't use as much of the DSDT as it normally would in Windows, but since I can't get my patch above to work it seems to be doing the trick for now.

@jamiethemorris it's something related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement... maybe windows changes something in bios settings. Did you install AI Suite in windows? Did you check the correct ssd/hd boot sequence in Boot menu?

PS a new bios for X99 Deluxe 3.1 has been released, versione 3301

You really think that AI Suite could be the culprit?

Do you have the "FixDarwin" DSDT fix enabled in your Clover config? If so try disabling that. It's not a perfect solution because it doesn't use as much of the DSDT as it normally would in Windows, but since I can't get my patch above to work it seems to be doing the trick for now.

I will give that a try tomorrow and will report back. thanks

Hey guys, I don't have windows currently installed on any of my drives (which was what I originally assumed to be the culprit), but when I shut down in OSX and do a cold boot, the OSX boot sequence consistently crashes four times before it finally boots. Each time it crashes at different points in the boot sequence, and in no particular order. For example I think the first try it crashes at like USB configuration (I think?) and then the second time it crashes earlier at "PCI Configuration Begin." After it boots, it runs completely fine without any errors. If I restart in OSX, instead of shutting down, it boots correctly on the first try. Have any of you guys experienced something similar?

Hey guys, I don't have windows currently installed on any of my drives (which was what I originally assumed to be the culprit), but when I shut down in OSX and do a cold boot, the OSX boot sequence consistently crashes four times before it finally boots. Each time it crashes at different points in the boot sequence, and in no particular order. For example I think the first try it crashes at like USB configuration (I think?) and then the second time it crashes earlier at "PCI Configuration Begin." After it boots, it runs completely fine without any errors. If I restart in OSX, instead of shutting down, it boots correctly on the first try. Have any of you guys experienced something similar?

take pictures when it crashes. Stopping at PCI config is odd... Almost like it didn't apply the patch? I had a situation with clover a long time ago where it sometimes wouldn't apply any of my kernel/kext patches. I had to clear the kext cache every time that happened. I don't know if I ever found the root cause. Maybe try that?
  • Like 1

take pictures when it crashes. Stopping at PCI config is odd... Almost like it didn't apply the patch? I had a situation with clover a long time ago where it sometimes wouldn't apply any of my kernel/kext patches. I had to clear the kext cache every time that happened. I don't know if I ever found the root cause. Maybe try that?

I always have "-f" in my bootflags. Also, frequently the boot sequence stops at "PCI Config Begin" then breaks through straight into the mac loading bar that happens right before boot. Othertimes it goes through the whole verbose boot sequence and prints out everything before booting. But when it crashes the few times before starting up, it just freezes at PCI Config Begin (or crashes in a random place while going through the boot sequence--I'll try to make a video since it happens too fast for a picture) momentarily, then black screen and back to my motherboard post logo.

Seems like this fixed issue of booting back from Windows. Thanks!

Could you please explain what did u mean by, "it doesn't use as much of the DSDT as it normally would in Windows"

• Like 1

I always have "-f" in my bootflags. Also, frequently the boot sequence stops at "PCI Config Begin" then breaks through straight into the mac loading bar that happens right before boot. Othertimes it goes through the whole verbose boot sequence and prints out everything before booting. But when it crashes the few times before starting up, it just freezes at PCI Config Begin (or crashes in a random place while going through the boot sequence--I'll try to make a video since it happens too fast for a picture) momentarily, then black screen and back to my motherboard post logo.

I think I fixed it (I shut down and cold booted a few times and it seemed to be fine, fingers crossed). I disabled "Fix Darwin" like people suggested, and I also disabled "Fix Shutdown", in the config.plist

• Like 1

Seems like this fixed issue of booting back from Windows. Thanks!

Could you please explain what did u mean by, "it doesn't use as much of the DSDT as it normally would in Windows"

The dsdt interacts with your hardware differently depending on the os - there's a section on the beginning that detects which os you are running and specific sections are used depending on what it detects. The "FixDarwin" flag identifies it as Windows 2001 so the dsdt acts based off of that. "Darwin" is not something that is in most dsdts, so it just falls back to whatever the defaults are when the os is not identified. It doesn't seem to have caused any problems though so far though.

This type of stuff happens with Linux too. I recall once on my old laptop running Arch Linux I had to use "Windows 2012" to get my keyboard f keys to work properly after an update.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Still not fixed. I hadn't had the problem in a while but I rebooted from Windows today (it had been booted into Windows for several days) and I got the same kernel panic. Hmm...

No way!! that sucks.... in the mean time I am contemplating if I should upgrade....

Want to get 6950x and saw someone on tonymac got it to work.

But also thinking if I should upgrade to RVE10 or stick with my RVE... ummm....

Anyone can help me decide?

No way!! that sucks.... in the mean time I am contemplating if I should upgrade....

An old wise man suggested me don't change things if they work perfectly......i think it's only a waste of time and money.

I updated windows 10...with insider preview release too...rebooted etc and i had no more problems with OSX....i continue to say that it should be a bios problem.

• Like 1

An old wise man suggested me don't change things if they work perfectly......i think it's only a waste of time and money.

I updated windows 10...with insider preview release too...rebooted etc and i had no more problems with OSX....i continue to say that it should be a bios problem.

Thanks for the advise!

I haven't had any issue since I took Jamie's advice and uncheck FixDarwin in my config.plist.

hope it doesnt take a poop on my all of a sudden. 

• Like 1

Hey NightFlyer,

I couldnt fight against the temptation and got the 6950x.

I had to reinstall the OS following Augustopaulo's guide (Thanks Paulo!!!) with some minor changes with some kexts and config.plist.

And it is ALIVE!!! Really want to thank everyone who contributed to this guide!!

• Like 2

Hey NightFlyer,

I couldnt fight against the temptation and got the 6950x.

I had to reinstall the OS following Augustopaulo's guide (Thanks Paulo!!!) with some minor changes with some kexts and config.plist.

And it is ALIVE!!! Really want to thank everyone who contributed to this guide!!

Wow 1700 EUR for a cpu are too much for me! I don't remember that motherboard do you have if a deluxe u3.1 or rampage V..Please can you write in details the changes you did? 

Thanks

• Like 1

Wow 1700 EUR for a cpu are too much for me! I don't remember that motherboard do you have if a deluxe u3.1 or rampage V..Please can you write in details the changes you did? 

Thanks

Where i am from it is $1625 USD. I will admit that it is expensive... but the 6950x was calling me... LOL

I have the Rampage V Extreme. Was thinking to get the Edition 10... but changes on the new board did not justify an upgrade.

Anyways, I followed the guide to the T and made the following changes:

1. Download latest Clover

2. Download the a newer FakeSMC.

3. Edit VoodooTSCSync.kext (for 10 cores)

4. Use Paulo's latest config.plist but deleted the ram details from the list

5. Edit Paulo's SSDT so that it works for my GPU (Dual 980Ti)

That's pretty much it. Everything works just like when I had the 5960x in it.

• Like 2

Where i am from it is $1625 USD. I will admit that it is expensive... but the 6950x was calling me... LOL

I have the Rampage V Extreme. Was thinking to get the Edition 10... but changes on the new board did not justify an upgrade.

Nice.

Geekbench?

You changed in SSDT cpu values too right? The actual SSDT made by Joaopaulo was made for the 5960X...About the latest config.plist you mean the one provided in zip file of the first post?

Please can you post new fakesmc, edited voodooTSCSync and config.plist?

Thanks 

No, did not touch the SSDT at all. I had to patch SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-BR3A to allocate the correct port to output signal to my monitor. So if everything is working for you right now, I believe you do not need to change anything in the 'patched' folder inside EFI/Clover. The config.plist is the second one which Augustopaulo posted and was lost due to tech issue with IM. Anyways, all the files which I changed and using right now in my system will be in the dropbox link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r2zs9ry0fr6m9li/AADpCYCyN17N-8zzbZZKuV5Ra?dl=0

Feel free to download and use it for your reference. It includes the following:

Clover_v2.3k_r3696.pkg (you can go download the latest if you want)

config.plist (Only removed RAM info like you suggested in previous post)

'kexts' folder for EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 (using latest FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext & modded VoodooTSCSync.kext for 10 Cores)

'patched' folder for EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (You should use your current SSDT's if everything is working for you)

Latest Nvidia Drivers & Cuda Drivers for 10.11.6

That is all the changes that I made. Otherwise, follow Augustopaulo's exceptional guide to the T and u should be fine.

Word of advice, once you have the system booted, do not install any sensor kexts from HWsensors!!! There is a bug and will corrupt your OS making it unbootable.

Dont ask me how I know....  :no:

Cheers & good luck upgrading to 6950x and hacking.  :thumbsup_anim:

Here you go!

At stock 6950x turbos to 4.0.

When OC my chip can get to 4.3 safely

Stock Score

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56j0ikvc5rfzta9/RVE%20%26%206950x%20Stock.png?dl=0

OC Score

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89lv3i0r2nodad7/RVE%20%26%206950x%20OC.png?dl=0

Wow. Thank you for that.

I've been on the fence about going with the 'safe' X79, and overclocking an E5 1680 V2 or waiting for some solid builds on X99.

You're really pushing me in the X99 direction.

• Like 1

Wow. Thank you for that.

I've been on the fence about going with the 'safe' X79, and overclocking an E5 1680 V2 or waiting for some solid builds on X99.

You're really pushing me in the X99 direction.

No X79 can beat X99. Even if u go with Xeon chips, if u are not doing a lot of rendering or intense calculation it would be a waste.

Single core performance on Xeons is no where near Haswell-E or Broadwell-E.

X99 is like in the middle with the best performance for single core yet can handle multi core task effortlessly. 

No, did not touch the SSDT at all. I had to patch SSDT-HDMI-NVIDIA-BR3A to allocate the correct port to output signal to my monitor. So if everything is working for you right now, I believe you do not need to change anything in the 'patched' folder inside EFI/Clover. The config.plist is the second one which Augustopaulo posted and was lost due to tech issue with IM. Anyways, all the files which I changed and using right now in my system will be in the dropbox link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r2zs9ry0fr6m9li/AADpCYCyN17N-8zzbZZKuV5Ra?dl=0

Feel free to download and use it for your reference. It includes the following:

Clover_v2.3k_r3696.pkg (you can go download the latest if you want)

config.plist (Only removed RAM info like you suggested in previous post)

'kexts' folder for EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 (using latest FakeSMC.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext & modded VoodooTSCSync.kext for 10 Cores)

'patched' folder for EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (You should use your current SSDT's if everything is working for you)

Latest Nvidia Drivers & Cuda Drivers for 10.11.6

That is all the changes that I made. Otherwise, follow Augustopaulo's exceptional guide to the T and u should be fine.

Word of advice, once you have the system booted, do not install any sensor kexts from HWsensors!!! There is a bug and will corrupt your OS making it unbootable.

Dont ask me how I know....  :no:

Cheers & good luck upgrading to 6950x and hacking.  :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for files :) Atm i'm trying to sell my 5960x before buying the 6950x...here it costs very much for my budget! But i was asking myself, why you reinstalled everything instead of changing values only to VoodooTSC you used with 5960x? I think now you use same bios settings as before, and files needed are the same used by augustopaulo. 

I want to say...if now i'm using my 5960x and everything will remain the same but i will change only the cpu, so why do i need to reinstall everything if i can modify only the VoodooTSC kext applied to the new cpu?