Easy installation of El Capitan (10.11.5) in 5960X CPU!

297 posts in this topic

Guess we can stop tinkering our systems since we'll probably move on to 10.12 soon....

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-sierra-upgrade-available-on-september-20th.201421/

i'm already trying to test Sierra pre release on my system....i prepared the ssd with MacOS Sierra HD 2.2 (credits to chris1111 but i still had no time to try it. I hope in the weekend...in the meanwhile i'm reading topics made by nmano and others who installed this pre release successfully on x99 and 5960x systems.

• Like 1

You might be having issue bcoz you are playing with bclk. Try leave that at 100 and OC normally by sync all cores and increase multiplier only.

I know you want to squeeze every little bit of juice out of that cpu. But stability is more important than raw power.

Fabiosun is playing with bclk because he has a xeon.

Okay sounds good I will try that out soon and report back.. I believe the BCLK setting was changed when I was experimenting with Asus's EZ-Tune, and my research on other computer-related forums appear to echo your sentiment, so leaving it at 100 sounds like a plan.... Thanks!

Guess we can stop tinkering our systems since we'll probably move on to 10.12 soon....

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-sierra-upgrade-available-on-september-20th.201421/

I actually prefer to stay an OS back, as I like to deal with a more-mature OS and not deal with software-compatibility as pro-audio companies are somewhat behind when it comes to supporting the latest.. So hopefully this thread will continue to live on. 

But since updating the OS when using Clover seems to much more straightforward than other boot loaders, I'm much more inclined to give Sierra a shot!

• Like 1

I think I may have a clue as to why I'm having intermittent boot issues.

I eventually got around to getting another build off the ground; featuring a 6950X and Asus X99 Deluxe II.

I cloned my boot drive from the 5960X, made a few changes based on recommendations from the forum - and to my surprise, booted on the 1st attempt.

Everything's been running unbelievably great (GB hit over 40,000), up until I installed the Windows 10 driver for the ThunderboltEX 3.

At that point, the machine wouldn't go back to booting reliably until I disabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS.

Subsequent research lead me to try deleting the IOBluetoothFamily & TMSafteyNet kexts, but it would be nice to hear of a method which doesn't sacrifice bluetooth...

As I use a Thunderbolt Audio Interface, DSP Accelerator and Harddrive when I work - I definitely need Thunderbolt for my everyday workflow, so hopefully there's some good news out there!

• Like 1

I think I may have a clue as to why I'm having intermittent boot issues.

I eventually got around to getting another build off the ground; featuring a 6950X and Asus X99 Deluxe II.

I cloned my boot drive from the 5960X, made a few changes based on recommendations from the forum - and to my surprise, booted on the 1st attempt.

Everything's been running unbelievably great (GB hit over 40,000), up until I installed the Windows 10 driver for the ThunderboltEX 3.

At that point, the machine wouldn't go back to booting reliably until I disabled Thunderbolt in the BIOS.

Subsequent research lead me to try deleting the IOBluetoothFamily & TMSafteyNet kexts, but it would be nice to hear of a method which doesn't sacrifice bluetooth...

As I use a Thunderbolt Audio Interface, DSP Accelerator and Harddrive when I work - I definitely need Thunderbolt for my everyday workflow, so hopefully there's some good news out there!

Thunderbolt is a disaster with x99 boards...sometimes me too have problems in booting the system...randomly i need to reset more than 2 times and other times i boot at first attempt. I tryed with every solution...optiodrv, test2, optiofix etc......it's the same!!!

• Like 1

Thunderbolt is a disaster with x99 boards...sometimes me too have problems in booting the system...randomly i need to reset more than 2 times and other times i boot at first attempt. I tryed with every solution...optiodrv, test2, optiofix etc......it's the same!!!

Aw man, I was hoping not to hear that :/

For what it's worth, all the X-99 builds I've done with Yosemite / Chimera work great with Thunderbolt.

I was hesitant to delve into Clover as I came across random threads in which folks were experiencing issues, but I figured with El Capitan I didn't have much choice.

Very frustrating to hear; I will reach out to another contact and circle back once I receive or come across more info.

Reading thru some threads on other forums have led me to believe that I may need the following two files so that things may work better when using Clover and Thunderbolt:

Test2.efi (optional, required if using more than 2 pci-e cards)

OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (if this doesn't work then it is advised to use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi).

Anyone know where I may be able to download recent versions of these files?

I the version of Test2.efi I found gave me a black screen after POST. :/

Reading thru some threads on other forums have led me to believe that I may need the following two files so that things may work better when using Clover and Thunderbolt:

Test2.efi (optional, required if using more than 2 pci-e cards)

OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi (if this doesn't work then it is advised to use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi).

Anyone know where I may be able to download recent versions of these files?

I the version of Test2.efi I found gave me a black screen after POST. :/

I tried both but results were the same...here is the link where you can download both and follow discussions about it:

https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/

• Like 1

I tried both but results were the same...here is the link where you can download both and follow discussions about it:

https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/

Thank you.

Ironically I came across the same link, gave it a shot and like you - the results were essentially the same as before.

After a couple restarts, I got everything working well and had computer running in a studio for 10 hours jumping thru various mixing sessions.

At the end of the night I went to restart the system to test and sure enough, back to not booting after multiple attempts...

I wonder why Thunderbolt worked pretty much flawlessly with Chimera, and if that may reveal clues as to how things may be able to work better in Clover?

• Like 1

Thank you.

Ironically I came across the same link, gave it a shot and like you - the results were essentially the same as before.

After a couple restarts, I got everything working well and had computer running in a studio for 10 hours jumping thru various mixing sessions.

At the end of the night I went to restart the system to test and sure enough, back to not booting after multiple attempts...

I wonder why Thunderbolt worked pretty much flawlessly with Chimera, and if that may reveal clues as to how things may be able to work better in Clover?

I used Chimera with Mavericks and Yosemite and i had no problems with thunderbolt and no memory map issues...but with EC and Sierra unfortunately we cannot use Chimera. We must "survive" with this problem...you are "lucky" because you use an audio interface with your tb connection, i use a raid disk with tb and sometimes when i load a big sample with Kontakt or if i must unrar a big file the raid stops working and i must reset all the system!!

• Like 1

I used Chimera with Mavericks and Yosemite and i had no problems with thunderbolt and no memory map issues...but with EC and Sierra unfortunately we cannot use Chimera. We must "survive" with this problem...you are "lucky" because you use an audio interface with your tb connection, i use a raid disk with tb and sometimes when i load a big sample with Kontakt or if i must unrar a big file the raid stops working and i must reset all the system!!

Hmmm do you or anyone else on this forum know of a way I can get in contact with any of the developers behind Clover?

I may be able to provide valuable information, since I was able to get the 5960X working with Chimera in 10.10 (with a lot of persistence and a bit of luck).

Not sure what it is but Augustopaulo suggested to repair permissions and rebuild cache with a backup or a real mac. It could be the tools that he provided.... I use KCPM Pro and it seems like this app does not allow repair and rebuild on the currently used drive. Augutopaulo provided other apps that can perform the task on the current working drive, but I tried it once before and did not seem to work. Therefore, I just kept using KCPM Pro on a macbook pro. There are other apps that are able to perform this task, but dont want to bother trying out others when I know what works already. 

Use InsanelyRepairPermission util from...just open Terminal, drag the util in there and write:

sudo InsanelyRepairPermission –rt / 

And that's all  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - amazing work - many thanks to all of you.  Anyone have suggestions on where ot start with my issue.  

Brief description - installed 10.11.6 with security update in 680Ti boost, installed web drivers, everything worked fine.

switched to GTX980..everything still worked fine

loaded CUDA driver and it got squirly

I don't think the issue is related to the CUDA driver because my issue is getting into clover, not booting into OSX.  Maybe 60% of the time on boot - i will just get a black screen - not the "normal" black screen when OSX switches from native to web drivers (at the apple logo), but i will get my bios splash screen and then it goes black even before the clover boot loader.  I am running 2.3 r3761.  I see that 3763 is out but i could not find a good change log.  

Is this a known issue where Clover fails to load or am I in uncharted territory?  BTW, when clover loads, everything usually works fine (only once did have an issue where the desktop image went away)

The other thing is that i do not know how to reproduce it repeatably - i can restart and some time clover loads and other times it does not.

EDIT: Pretty sure this was an I/O problem (incompetent operator).  I had my NVMe SSD in the boot order and sometimes BIOS would try to boot from that drive instead of the main SSD.  I disabled the NVMe in the boot sequence and problem seems to have resolved.  

Edited by gulftown

Guys - amazing work - many thanks to all of you.  Anyone have suggestions on where ot start with my issue.  

Brief description - installed 10.11.6 with security update in 680Ti boost, installed web drivers, everything worked fine.

switched to GTX980..everything still worked fine

loaded CUDA driver and it got squirly

I don't think the issue is related to the CUDA driver because my issue is getting into clover, not booting into OSX.  Maybe 60% of the time on boot - i will just get a black screen - not the "normal" black screen when OSX switches from native to web drivers (at the apple logo), but i will get my bios splash screen and then it goes black even before the clover boot loader.  I am running 2.3 r3761.  I see that 3763 is out but i could not find a good change log.  

Is this a known issue where Clover fails to load or am I in uncharted territory?  BTW, when clover loads, everything usually works fine (only once did have an issue where the desktop image went away)

The other thing is that i do not know how to reproduce it repeatably - i can restart and some time clover loads and other times it does not.

EDIT: Pretty sure this was an I/O problem (incompetent operator).  I had my NVMe SSD in the boot order and sometimes BIOS would try to boot from that drive instead of the main SSD.  I disabled the NVMe in the boot sequence and problem seems to have resolved.  

You must select the correct boot sequence of your hdds in Boot menu selecting the one with osx as first drive.

Hey guys! I booted up into OSX today, did the software update (iTunes and other things) from the app store, and rebooted. After rebooting the nivida web driver prompted me to update, so I had it download and restarted again. Now, after the scrolling white text stops while booting verbose, my screen will go black and tell me that there is no HDMI output. I suspect it is booting into OSX fine because my motherboard post code shows AA and I'm not getting reboots; however, it seems that for some reason, OSX isn't letting my graphics card output an HDMI signal. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey guys! I booted up into OSX today, did the software update (iTunes and other things) from the app store, and rebooted. After rebooting the nivida web driver prompted me to update, so I had it download and restarted again. Now, after the scrolling white text stops while booting verbose, my screen will go black and tell me that there is no HDMI output. I suspect it is booting into OSX fine because my motherboard post code shows AA and I'm not getting reboots; however, it seems that for some reason, OSX isn't letting my graphics card output an HDMI signal. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Bump. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I have successfully installed 10.11.6 to my 5960x with X99-E WS motherboard. Everything almost perfect. I have a small problem still looking for a solution.
My external USB drives correctly mounting but as internal drives. In system profiler, says Removable Media: No.

Any similar problem? Fixes?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fabiosun,

It's been awhile and I am back.

So I got back this week turn on my system and updated and as you know it the screen is black.

My question is what do u mean by changing config 1 to none???

I dont recall having to do this on previous updates??

no

if you have nvidia you have to change config1 to none...

find in IM where exactly you have to change it :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bump, ​were you ever able to fix the problem? Found this thread a while back, but never had a chance to try it out (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308790-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-on-the-fly-patching-impossible-alternate-idea-but-still-does-not-seem-to-work/). 

Hi Fabiosun,

It's been awhile and I am back.

So I got back this week turn on my system and updated and as you know it the screen is black.

My question is what do u mean by changing config 1 to none???

I dont recall having to do this on previous updates??

• 1 year later...