[GUIDE] El Capitan on ASRock X99E-itx/ac using a 5960x

Brumbaer

57 posts in this topic

Your computer has USB Connectors. An USB connector is featuring an USB 2.0 port (USB 2.0 connector)  or and USB 2.0 and an USB 3.0 port (USB 3.0 connector). The ports are not called USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports, but High Speed and SuperSpeed ports - that's where HS and SS prefixes come from.

USBInjectAll will depending on the USB controller inject a fixed set of ports, but only the first 15 will be used. In this case ports HS01-HS14 and SSP1-SSP6.

Those ports are injected regardless of the ones your computer makes really available through USB connectors.

The first 14 ports are USB 2.0 ports. So only 1 USB 3.0 port would be available and only, if your computer makes port SSP1 available through a connector.

uiaexlude excludes the listed ports from injection. In their stead ports SSP2 to 6 will be injected, giving you USB 3.0 support.

Which ports are connected to which USB connector and which you can exclude without any loss has to be tested  and might be different for different kind of boards. 

The alternative to this is the use of the patch that removes the 15 port limit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have a bit of graphics card trouble when updating to 10.11.6? I have a GeForce 770GTX which has always worked without the need to inject drivers or install the Nvidia drivers. I removed the nv_disable=1 boot arg and this card works perfectly in 10.11.5. I have tested the update to 10.11.6 but I can't get past the [PCI Configuration begin] line? If I add the nv_disable=1 line back into the boot arg I can load the OS but with only 800x600 resolution? Any ideas?

Have a bit of graphics card trouble when updating to 10.11.6? I have a GeForce 770GTX which has always worked without the need to inject drivers or install the Nvidia drivers. I removed the nv_disable=1 boot arg and this card works perfectly in 10.11.5. I have tested the update to 10.11.6 but I can't get past the [PCI Configuration begin] line? If I add the nv_disable=1 line back into the boot arg I can load the OS but with only 800x600 resolution? Any ideas?

If with nv_disable=1 you are able to boot and log into OSX with a bad resolution, then you must install nvidia webdrivers and restart removing nv_disable and putting nv_drv=1 to let drivers work! Try this solution.

If with nv_disable=1 you are able to boot and log into OSX with a bad resolution, then you must install nvidia webdrivers and restart removing nv_disable and putting nv_drv=1 to let drivers work! Try this solution.

I have already tried installing the web drivers, removing nv_disable=1 and adding the nvda_drv=1 boot arg but still no luck in getting full resolution graphics in 10.11.6? Technically the web drivers don't support the NVidia GeForce 770GTX as the card is native to OSX so the web drivers probably shouldn't work anyway. Something else must have changed in 10.11.6 update in the graphics department? I'm wondering if I will have luck using a separate graphics rom in the efi/clover/rom folder, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it in Clover?

I have already tried installing the web drivers, removing nv_disable=1 and adding the nvda_drv=1 boot arg but still no luck in getting full resolution graphics in 10.11.6? Technically the web drivers don't support the NVidia GeForce 770GTX as the card is native to OSX so the web drivers probably shouldn't work anyway. Something else must have changed in 10.11.6 update in the graphics department? I'm wondering if I will have luck using a separate graphics rom in the efi/clover/rom folder, but I'm not quite sure how to apply it in Clover?

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh

Kirky, on 20 Aug 2016 - 3:29 PM, said:snapback.png

Thanks @ekwipt, the frequency vectors script made me realise that I had the SMBIOS set to Mac Pro 6,1 but I had the host file name set to mac-mini.local? I typed the following code in terminal and changed the .local settings, including the LocalHostName to Myname-Mac-Pro. Now I can boot into 10.11.6 with full resolution graphics.

sudo scutil --set ComputerName "Myname-Mac-Pro"

sudo scutil --set LocalHostName "Myname-Mac-Pro"
sudo scutil --set HostName "Myname-Mac-Pro"

Another thing I noticed was that the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext wasn't installed properly? That's what you get for being lazy and editing the file in the extensions folder. I had to move the edited file out of /System/Library/Extensions/ and install using the "Kext Utility" App.

These were two strange errors that stopped me from loading a native GeForce 770 GTX in 10.11.6, but somehow didn't cause a problem in 10.11.5

Hey,

Stupid question but where to download / find all this files mentioned in the guide???

I found this few days ago, are they files "OK" ?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rpn0mceafa0wkyl/AAB5UbUHoomkH1fzO_YBFxo-a?dl=0

Those files are quite old, you can find much newer ones. Have a look for...

FakeSMC v6.18.1394 from here

IntelMausiEthernet-v2.1.0d3 halfway down this page

NullCPUPowerManagement-v1.0.0d2 from here or extract from #####

AppleALC 1.0.13 from here and 1150 audio in ##### works

I think the rest can be found in "Clover_v2.3k_r3696.pkg" or search in RehabMan

5960X unknown CPU fixed

Just set clover config type 2561

post-413859-0-76965600-1472567815_thumb.png

post-413859-0-26729600-1472567849_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Brumbaer...with his guide I did get my 5960X up and running with some struggles but did get it all installed and operating.

Not to be satisfied with that I upgraded the CPU top the 6950X and after some struggle but guided by Brumbaer's guide managed to get that up and running as well!

So...Many Thanks Brumbaer.

Hi Guys,

I now have my GA-X99-UD4 + 5960X running thanks to this guide, ethernet is also working.

BUT, I cannot make the Nvidia Webdriver work for my GTX 670 (it was working on yosemite without anything to do) 

As soon as I remove nv_disable=1 and put nvidia_drv=1, the system boots but the screen goes off.

Otherwise, when booting using OS X default driver, I only have 1 screen working.

I can't find what I did wrong.

• 2 months later...

Great Job Brumbaer !!! :thumbsup_anim:

Just built my miniD10S:

- JONSBO UMX1 Plus
- INTEL i7 5960x
- NOCTUA NH-U9DX i4
- AsRock X99 MiniITX
- GTX TITAN X
- Ballistix Sport LT Kit 32GB
- Samsung SM951 MZHPV256HDGL AHCI
- 3 x SAMSUNG 850 PRO 1TB (RAID 0)
- CORSAIR SF 600

Everything works fine...but USB 3.1?

thanks! :)

• 1 month later...

Dear Brumbaer,

Thank you very much.

Using your instructions I managed to get the system working well on my ASRock X99E-itx/ac with 6800K.

The only thing that doesn't work is Bluetooth, however I believe that's because I'm using some the wrong version of the kexts. The patch to get the 5GHz wifi worked fine for Canada (code is 4341).

Only one question I have, running the 6800K I'm getting significantly lower benchmarks than what you posted in Geekbench 3, for example single core is only around 3500 and multi-core is around 20000. Although this processor has 2 less cores than your 5960X I wouldn't expect the multi-core benchmarks to be so much lower. Any tips you might have to improve my benchmarks?

Thanks again

The 6800ks turbo speed is 3.6 GHz, my 5960X runs at 4.7. 4900/4.7 * 3.6 = 3753 and36000/8/4.7*3.6*6 = 20680..

To compute values in that way will only give you values  good enough for a plausibility check, but will not give you the values to expect.

So if you haven't overclocked your system, the Geekbench Score is plausible.

You might get a better or worse score, depending on what your system is doing at the time i.e. indexing for spotlight, monitoring temperature etc. or just nothing. Faster memory will help also, but not as much as overclocking.

If I remember correctly 6800Ks usually overclock to 4.4GHz, which would give you a nice speed increase.

If in doubt google for Geekbench 3 scores for comparison, but make sure that you know which frequency the tested processor ran on, because the frequency shown in Geekbench is only a text showing usually the standard speed even when overclocked.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, I have the same motherboard but with a xeon 2698V4 CPU. I managed to install sierra successfully. Everything works except audio and wifi. Also I have some problems with low benchmark scores and I dont know where to look on how to fix this. 

So regarding audio, I installed the AppleALC.kext and used the plist from here for clover which already has the hda fix ticked and audio inject 1 but its not working. Do I need anything else except from these?

I'm attaching also my current config.plist

config.plist.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have the same motherboard but with a xeon 2698V4 CPU. I managed to install sierra successfully. Everything works except audio and wifi. Also I have some problems with low benchmark scores and I dont know where to look on how to fix this. 

So regarding audio, I installed the AppleALC.kext and used the plist from here for clover which already has the hda fix ticked and audio inject 1 but its not working. Do I need anything else except from these?

I'm attaching also my current config.plist

Can you show me how you did so please. I've been stuck for so long

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

though it doesn't look as though anyone is responding to this topic anymore, I thought I may as well ask. I've got a very similar build: 5960x, Asrock x99e-itx/ac, etc. I've followed the instructions of this guide quite closely and was able to update my machine from a working Yosemite install to El Capitan. However, I'm now having kernal panics with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement whenever I try to boot the system. Although I can still boot into the installer from the thumbstick.

I'm using NullCPUPowermanagement along with Brumbaer's config file, as was instructed. Now I thought that would mean AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement was bypassed, preventing power management KPs. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how this works though.

Any help anyone can provide on digging up what's going on, or just good resources for understanding the power management aspects of running a hackintosh would be really helpful. 

Thanks!

• Like 1