[GUIDE] El Capitan on ASRock X99E-itx/ac using a 5960x

Brumbaer

57 posts in this topic

I use an overclocked Skylake as my work system. It is very fast and has a very small footprint. It works flawlessly, so live got boring fast and I decided to bring some excitement into my computer life.

What could be more exciting than a 5960x ?

I wanted an itx board and you can choose the x99 itx board your heart desires as long as it is an AsRock X99E-itx/ac - the only x99-itx board I could find.

I had a GTX980TI available, from my Skylake, which had been replaced by a short GTX970, to allow for a smaller package (19x19x24.5 cm).
From my ATX days I also had a Super Flower 750W power supply and two 8GB DDR4-3000 memories available.
For storage I used a 512GB SM951- AHCI version for easy install.
For cooling I chose a Kraken 41. I use an Kraken 31 on my Skylake and the case of the X99 would be a bit larger, large enough to hold a Kraken 41.

For a case I built a frame of profiles 22x22x36.5 cm large. In real tower style, largest dimension is the height, just as I prefer it.

Besides the system I used an SanDisk Extreme 64GB memory stick. It's an fast USB stick with 245MB/s read and 190MB/s write speed. And it really delivers this kind of performance when connected to an USB 3.0 port.

I used my Skylake to prepare the install stick.

The target system consisted of:

• Intel 5960x
  • AsRock X99E-itx/ac
  • NVidia GTX980TI
  • 512GB SM951 - AHCI
  • 2x8GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill RipJaws 4
  • Super Flower SF-750F
  • NZXT Kraken 41

For preparation of the installation stick I used:

• SanDisk Extreme 64GB
  • Hackintosh

The software used included

• El Capitan - already installed on Hackintosh
  • OS X El Capitan Installation Application
  • The config.plist attached to this post
  • Clover v2_4 r3543 - Bootloader
  • USBInjectAll.kext 0.5.11 - USB Support
  • AppleALC.kext v1.0.8 - Audio
  • FakeSMC.kext v6.18.1934
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext v1.0.2d8 - Ethernet
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext v1.0.0d2 - To get decent performance by switching of power management
  • VoodooTSCSync.kext - Synchronizing TSC of CPUs
  • BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext v2.2.3 - BT
  • BrcmPatchRAM2.kext v2.2.3 - BT
  • FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext v1.3.1 - WiFi
  • Test2.efi - Addresses memory problem with X99 boards
  • cudadriver-7.5.29-macos.dmg - Cuda Driver 
  • WebDriver-346.03.05f02.pkg The driver version has to fit your OS X system build. - NVidia Graphics Card Driver
  • Kext Utility - Installing Kexts and rebuilding kext caches.
  • Clover Configurator - What the name suggests.

The versions given are the ones I used. Other versions - especially newer ones - should work as well. For each OS X build there is a special WebDriver. Make sure you download the correct  WebDriver version for your OS X.
Don't ask me where to find the software, if you can't manage to find it, you probably shouldn't try installing a Hackintosh.

There is other useful software, but that is all that is needed to get the system up and running.

If you know your way around you will get by by using the attached config.plist and reading the in depth section. Otherwise look at the Step by Step.

Bold: Names of finder objects
Underline: Buttons, menu options etc.
Bold Underline: Key presses and Text to be entered. Text surrounded by <> describes a special function key. I.e. <Return> stands for the Return or Enter key.
Italic: Text in dialogs or special terms

Step by Step

Preparing the USB stick

Download all needed software to the computer you will use to prepare the USB stick.
The USB stick will be erased. So save any contents you might want to keep.

• Start Disk Uitility
    • Select the Stick itself. If your stick is already formatted it may show multiple lines. Select the first one. It usually named after the product. In my case it's SanDisk Extreme
    • In the bottom right corner of the main window the Device: can be found. It will be something like disk1. Note the value.
    • Select Erase
      • Name: a
      • Format: OS X Extended Journaled
      • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
      • Press Erase
    • Quit Disk Utility
  • Open Terminal
    • enter the following. This is all in one line. When entered press the <Return> key.
      sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --volume /Volumes/a
    • Enter <Return>
    • Enter Password
    • Enter Y
    • Enter <Return>
    • Wait this will take a while - using a fast USB stick pays off here.
    • When finished enter (you will need the device noted above, preceded by /dev/ and succeeded by s1).
      diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1
    • Enter <Return>
    • You will see a new Volume called EFI in the side Bar of your Finder window.
    • Rename it to INSTEFI. This is not strictly needed, but will help to distinguish the million of EFI volumes floating around.
  • Start Clover
    • Advance by pressing Ok to step Installation Type
    • Change Install Location to your Install stick (Install OS X El Capitan)
    • Customize
      • Select Install for UEFI Booting Only
      • Drivers64UEFI
        • Select OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
      • Install
    • Quit Clover
  • Prepare VoodooTSCSync.kext
    On a 5960x there are 16 CPUs numbered 0..15. They have to use the same timebase, this is done by VoodooTSCSync.kext.
    The syncronizing has to take place when the last CPU is initialized. For that VoodooTSCSync.kext must know the number of the last CPU.
    • In Finder goto VoodooTSCSync.kext
    • Right Click on VoodooTSCSync.kext and select Show package contents
    • Enter Contents folder
    • Right click Info.plist and open with TextEdit
    • Search for IOCPUNumber
    • Make sure in the line following the found on  there is 15 between the <integer> and </integer> statements

• <key>IOCPUNumber</key>
      <integer>15</integer>

• Save and Quit
  • In Finder copy Test2.efi to INSTEFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
  • In Finder goto INSTEFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts
  • Delete all folders, but Other
  • Copy USBInjectAll.kext, AppleALC.kext, FakeSMC.kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, VoodooTSCSync.kext into Other folder
  • Replace config.plist in INSTEFI/EFI/CLOVER with the attached one.
  • Copy BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext, FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext, cudadriver-7.5.29-macos.dmg, WebDriver-346.03.05f02.pkg, Kext Utility and Clover Configurator onto  the stick Install OS X El Capitan
  • Eject Install OS X El Capitan

BIOS Settings

•  
  • Insert USB Stick in USB 3.0 port on your target machine
  • Press and hold Clear CMOS Button on back panel.
  • Power on
    Nothing will happen
  • Release Clear CMOS Button
  • Press <Del> Key to enter BIOS settings.
    • OC Tweaker Screen
      • CPU Configuration
        • Intel SpeedStep Technology Disabled
        • Intel Turbo Boost Technology Enabled
    • Advanced Screen
      • CPU Configuration
        • CPU C State Support Enabled
    • Chipset Configuration
      • PCIE1 Link Speed Gen3
    • USB Configuration
      • Intel USB 3.0 Mode Enabled
    • Boot Screen
      • Boot Option 1 select the UEFI: on USB stick
    • Exit Screen
      • Save Changes and Exit
  • Install OS X
    • In Clover Menu select Boot Install OS X El Capitan
      Text will scroll through
      Gray screen will appear
      Apple with progress bar will appear and will only advance very slowly
      Dark grey screen will appear
    • Select language for install
    • You might want to use the Disk Utility option to format your new system disk
    • Select OS X Installation
    • Acknowledge whatever
    • Select drive to install your system on
      Takes some minutes to install and will finally restart
    • After restart boot from your new OS Drive
    • Finish Installation
    Post Installation
    • In Finder goto 
      /System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext/Contents/

• Drag Info.plist onto the Desktop
    • Open Info.plist on Desktop with TextEdit
      • Replace all
         g>Config1
        with
        g>none
      • Replace all 
         g>Config2
        with 
        g>none
      • Save and Quit
    • Copy Info.plist from Desktop back into Contents folder
      • Select  Authenticate
      • Replace
      • Enter Password
    • Start Kext Utility
      • Enter password
      • Wait for Enjoy message
      • Drag BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext, BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext from Finder onto Kext Utility Window.
      • Enter password
      • Wait for Enjoy message
      • Quit
    • Mount the EFI Partitions
      • ​Start Terminal
        The following commands are only valid if you have just the USB Stick and one system drive. If you have more drives you will have to find the device names of your USB Stick and your system drive by using diskutil list.
      • Enter 
        diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1
      • Enter
        diskutil mount /dev/disk1s1
      • Quit
    • Rename the partition EFI to OSEFI
    • Copy EFI Folder from INSTEFI to OSEFI
    • Eject INSTEFI
    • Open EFI/CLOVER/config.plist on OSEFI with Clover Configurator
      • In Boot Section
        • Remove Verbose flag
        • Remove nv_disable flag
        • Set nvda_drv flag
        • Set Default Boot Volume to the name of your system partition.
    • Kernel and Kext Patches
      • Edit the AirPortBrcm4360 patch to use your WiFi country code.
        • ​ Set the XXYY bytes to hold the Ascii value of your WiFis country code.
          66C706XXYYEB2B
          In this case it's DE for Germany.
          66C7064445EB2B
    • Save and Quit
    • Install Cuda Driver by double clicking it's dmg and starting the pkg.
    • Install WebDriver by double clicking it's pkg.
    • The system will restart
    • Remove USB stick before the system boots
    In depth

Ethernet.
    I only used the I218-V port so far. And it is handled by IntelMausiEthernet.kext.
    Audio
    For AppleALC.kext to work you will need the FixHDA Patch and an Audio Inject value of 1 in Clover.
    USB
    When USB 3.0 is enabled the board will rout all ports to the XHCI controller. So the EHC controllers can be ignored.
    For USBInjectAll.kext to work, the XHCI ACPI device must be named XHC. A Clover patch renames XHCI to XHC.
    I added the ports to exclude from the ones available in the Clover Boot Args. This leaves HS ports 1 to 6, 11, 13 and 14 and SS ports 1 to 6.
    HS and SS Ports 1 to 4 being assigned to the 3.0 connectors on the back panel, Port 13 and 14 to the USB 2.0 connectors on the back panel.
    Port 6 being connected to the Krakens USB and Port 11 to the boards BT chip. The other ports are currently not in use.
    BT+WiFi
    They are on a Mini PCIE card, BCM20702A0 and  and rather well supported. 
    BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext and BrcmPatchRAM2.kext  take care of BT and FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext takes care of WiFi.
    To get 5GHz working you will need a Clover Patch. The replacement must be adapted to hold your WiFis country code 66C7064445EB2B would set the country code to DE for Germany.
    Graphics
    Install Cuda and WebDriver as usual. The config.plist uses MacPro 6,1, so you will have to patch AppleGraphicDevicePolicy.kext.

This leaves only the CPU
    The 5960x will hang on boot, this is solved with the Brumbaer 5960x patch.
    The CPUs will have different TSC values which is corrected by VoodooTSCSync.kext. Remember to make sure that the IOCPUNumber in the Info.plist is set to the correct value (15 for 5960x).
    The Haswell-E will work with xcpm, but will not run at full speed for whatever reasons. To get some power management and a decent performance the xcpm is switched off and P-states are disabled. To get some power management  C-States are used. xcpm will be switched on automatically and while being switched on will ignore P-State BIOS settings. To switch xcpm off, an unsupported CPU is faked. This requires the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to prevent KPs.
    Obviously the P-States have to be switched off  (EIST option) and C-States have to be enabled in BIOS.

Usual Last Words
    If you follow this guide, you do so on your own risk.
    Hope I haven't made any mistakes, didn't forget something or mix up files.
    I didn't do any long time test, or tests for sleep, hand-off etc.. But if there are any problems with those the usual remedies should apply.
    If there is interest I can add some pictures of the rig and performance numbers.

Config.plist
    config.plist.zip
  • Like 12

Intel Power Gadget says the frequency varies between 1.2 GHz and 4.7 GHz.

I haven't really looked into it, I can't say how many distinct frequencies in between are really used and how many result from Power Gadgets averaging results.

• Like 1

Very Nice!

Where are the kext? and other files. Not meaning from Nvidia but one has to dive and try to find the right files?

Why is that?

Also do you think this will work for X99-UD5 and UD4 as well?

Very Nice!

Where are the kext? and other files. Not meaning from Nvidia but one has to dive and try to find the right files?

Why is that?

Also do you think this will work for X99-UD5 and UD4 as well?

My instinct reaction to your post is:

Edkroket is a member since 2009, has written 215 posts and has(had) at least 4 Hackintoshes, so I can assume he's able to answer those questions himself.

He is trying to be droll or taking the ... me.

Should I judge the post wrongly, I will apologize and try to answer your questions, should I be right  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

Sorry for trouble. I did not mean to be rude or so. I just liked this post and was a bit lazy to find all the necessary files.

Will do so. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the great instructions...but...

When I select the USB device I go straight into the Apple logo and bar which progresses a very small amount then reboot! Using -v I reach a page plus to the point where the dreaded [pci configuration begin...and then 5 seconds later a reboot.

I also note that when I select from the bios at startup the external usb is not listed as a UEFI device, but does show up in clover screen from another drive).

I have an X99-Deluxe from ASUS with 5960X cpu.

Any ideas?

If you can not select your USB drive in the BIOS, your system will load clover from the internal drive. As this hasn't the patch installed, you will get the PC Config error.

I have 3 Asus Boards (no X99 though) in use and all are able to select the UEFI partition on the USB stick. So I assume, your stick isn't prepared correctly.

I assume, you didn't format your stick correctly or installed clover on the wrong partition.

You are indeed correct and am not sure how I missed that.

So I redid the instructions and now have the USB as a UEFI device.

When I select as boot volume I do indeed get the correct clover startup from the stick however I get a bit further along (-v used) but end up at the same (or maybe different) dreaded [pci begin...].

I have made changes to the bios starting off with default and making changes to CSM/other OS etc. The patch in clover shows up so it is there in place.

I have disabled on board wifi and BT just to simplify possible conflicts.

In all the mackintoshes I have made most of the problems arise in BIOS settings but this one time I am confused (more than normally that is).

Disregard, it was a dumb mistake. Got past that. Now I have another issue with still getting stuck at PCI Config despite trying the binpatch and the kext separately. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312245-5960x-successfully-installed-under-el-capitan-10113/page-5?do=findComment&comment=2243998

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! thanks!

OK got some things to work..BT working partly, i can search and pair from my phone however it quickly disconnected on the Hack

CPU fakeid not working correctly , if using TSCsync i am getting krnlP

continue trying...

UPDATE

adding devices from computer somehow managed to work, connecting BT speaker is OK but sometimes sound cracks.

successfully installed on:

MSI X99A Godlike

6850k Broadwell

EVGA GTX 780ti (dual)

still need to conduct 'post' installation including;

wifi, nvidia drivers, changing boot loader to local ssd instead of usb.

need to make a cloned copy though beforehand as im not too confident about it.

anyway.

thanks Brumbaer!!!

this guide single handedly solved my installation issues.

• Like 1

Brumbaer,

Can you specify with specific steps like you did for the install? I have the video working (never made it this far with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] on tonymacx86) but my BT isn't working, the back audio is not working either, most of the USB3 ports don't work, and how do I find ASCII values for the country code for wifi (Canada)? 

Great guide however, my hackintosh is mostly working!

My current specs are 5820k, Asus x99 deluxe, GTXC 780ti

Bluedardevil,

it will take hours to prepare what you are asking.

So I refer you to the search function to find out how to use UsbInjectAll, AppleALC etc.

Alternatively find some Asus x99 deluxe users and ask them fort their settings.

Using almost same configuration as Brumbaer with the following changes:

1. IntelMausiEthernet.kext v2.1.0 (latest) version) - can't find the listed version

2. NZXT water cooler connected to USB3_4 port on the board (next to CPU_FAN1)

3. M2. Samsung card running Yosemite

4. SanDisk 16GB USB3 flash drive for boot.

I have followed the posted instructions but I get stuck at the ethernet drive. If I disable in BIOS any ethernet driver I then get an USB3 related message and everything halts never making it to loading the ethernet kext.  

To be noted that removing the M2 card does not change the error message. 

Any thoughts on what should I try next?

Hi guys - i'm new to the hackintosh world and pretty keen to get this working for logic pro x. I've only seen a couple of builds with this mobo (one with a 5820k chip on a different forum and this particular thread)

I have almost identical hardware apart from the CPU (which I assume plays a massive factor here), but am getting stuck with many different attempts I've had at building this machine. I can follow the instructions in this build fine (although downloading some newer versions of the kexts/tools listed) - but as pointed out, they should not matter.

I believe my issue would be to do with the config.plist attached here being for the 5960x in here would need to be edited for the 5820k? However, i'm unsure what would need to be done as I'm still trying to understand how this all works. 

My Hardware:

• Intel 5820k CPU
  • AsRock X99E-itx/ac
  • nVidia GTX980TI - Asus Posiedon
  • 512GB SM951 - AHCI (I have this as my main Windows OS drive, but am trying to install on an Samsung 850pro to keep the Mac install separate)
  • 2x16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 Ram
  • 3TB Storage drive

If I follow the build, when trying to install I get a panic

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame ; Return Address.

I've also substituted the VoodooTSC kext with the appropriate 6-core kext.

Is anyone able to point me in the right way with how to get this working? I compared the config.plist that is generated with the clover install and the one attached in here and they're way different. I don't know where to begin. 

The only way i've been able to ever get to the installer (and successfully install El Capitan) was by using a .dmg image from the internet and creating the bootdisk with transmac on my windows machine. I believe it was using enoch. However, from there I've had issues getting to the point where I can boot without the usb and with the drivers I need installed. Should I persevere with that, or continue on with modifying the build in this thread.

I've also tried a VM in VMware with pretty limited success. My primary goal is to get logic pro x working, and also a functioning Mac to continue learning how the OS works.

Thanks in advance and any help much appreciated- thanks for the instructions brumbaer. Sorry for the long post in your thread.

Hi guys - i'm new to the hackintosh world and pretty keen to get this working for logic pro x. I've only seen a couple of builds with this mobo (one with a 5820k chip on a different forum and this particular thread)

I have almost identical hardware apart from the CPU (which I assume plays a massive factor here), but am getting stuck with many different attempts I've had at building this machine. I can follow the instructions in this build fine (although downloading some newer versions of the kexts/tools listed) - but as pointed out, they should not matter.

I believe my issue would be to do with the config.plist attached here being for the 5960x in here would need to be edited for the 5820k? However, i'm unsure what would need to be done as I'm still trying to understand how this all works.

My Hardware:

• Intel 5820k CPU
  • AsRock X99E-itx/ac
  • nVidia GTX980TI - Asus Posiedon
  • 512GB SM951 - AHCI (I have this as my main Windows OS drive, but am trying to install on an Samsung 850pro to keep the Mac install separate)
  • 2x16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 Ram
  • 3TB Storage drive
If I follow the build, when trying to install I get a panic

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame ; Return Address.

I've also substituted the VoodooTSC kext with the appropriate 6-core kext.

Is anyone able to point me in the right way with how to get this working? I compared the config.plist that is generated with the clover install and the one attached in here and they're way different. I don't know where to begin.

The only way i've been able to ever get to the installer (and successfully install El Capitan) was by using a .dmg image from the internet and creating the bootdisk with transmac on my windows machine. I believe it was using enoch. However, from there I've had issues getting to the point where I can boot without the usb and with the drivers I need installed. Should I persevere with that, or continue on with modifying the build in this thread.

I've also tried a VM in VMware with pretty limited success. My primary goal is to get logic pro x working, and also a functioning Mac to continue learning how the OS works.

Thanks in advance and any help much appreciated- thanks for the instructions brumbaer. Sorry for the long post in your thread.

that's not the entire panic message, take a picture of the screen where it freezes. Whatever you're running into is probably something simple, most of these x99 boards use more or less the same configuration.

Also post your config.plist (not sure if you made any changes to the one in the op or not).

BTW logic won't really work in VMware - you won't have graphics acceleration so it will be really slow and you won't have a playhead.

Thanks for the reply jamiethemorris & FljagdI'm at work at the moment, but I can get a picture uploaded tonight. I tried the config.plist attached in the OP which is what I assumed was causing the problem. I definitely know that this should be able to work. Only thing I don't know if OP had was a different firmware version for the board. (im running v1.40 for mine to allow for 16gb ram sticks). I'd be seriously over the moon if I could get this working!