[GUIDE] Installing macOS on ASUS K501L

86 posts in this topic

Glad to hear this Success installation

1- Update clover bootloader to last version to make USB Sierra installation after instal copy past the clover partition from Usb to efi partition on disk

2- remove all Kext number keep other kext only in usb and efi partition after install

3-Change Pre-DVMT Allocated to 64/128MB in BIOS settings.

I made the Sierra USB without problems, but sometimes it won't show the sierra installation option and when it shows, le computer reboots on the Apple logo (verbose mode just shows a line of "+" symbols.

Looks like it's a config.plist problem, Ive tried some fixes but it doesn't work. Can you upload yours ?

• Like 1

I made the Sierra USB without problems, but sometimes it won't show the sierra installation option and when it shows, le computer reboots on the Apple logo (verbose mode just shows a line of "+" symbols.

Looks like it's a config.plist problem, Ive tried some fixes but it doesn't work. Can you upload yours ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5-yQovbVGQuVDJSQXFjNzY5bHc/view?usp=sharing

ok try this and post the result 

Mmmmh...
For some reason when booting from the USB, It doesn't show any Mac OS system, neither my internal El Capitan HDD or the macOS Sierra install. I'm searching around internet for a solution.

Oh, and btw, just received my new Wi-Fi chip, and it works like a charm, that's awesome.

If you have any suggestion, I'll take it :D

EDIT : Got one last problem to get a really perfect installation : the sleep mode. When the computer enter the sleep mode, the LED won't turn off and there's no way to get out of sleep, I need to force the shutdown with the power button.

Edited by Arkist0

Okay guys, glad to announce that I'm actually posting from Sierra. Everything works great except some minor issues that I'm working on. 
If someone wonders what was the solution to my problems, it was only one file missing in my clover installation : "HFSPlus.efi". So I just downloaded it and put the file in EFI/Clover/drivers64efi

Thanks everyone for the help and good luck !

Hi, i've just installed macOS Sierra on my ASUS K501LB-DM127D

Everything work great except the internal microphone. In the System Information, it said that my internal microphone had been connected. But I couldn't see the Internal Microphone in the Sound section of the System Preferences. 

Here's the screenshot of my System Information and System Preferences: http://imgur.com/jwrlmRq

ASUS K501LB - DM127D / Intel Core i3 - 5010u / 4GB Ram/ 500GB HDD / Realtek ALC233 / Intel HD 5500 + GT 940M / macOS Sierra 10.12.1

Hi, i've just installed macOS Sierra on my ASUS K501LB-DM127D

Everything work great except the internal microphone. In the System Information, it said that my internal microphone had been connected. But I couldn't see the Internal Microphone in the Sound section of the System Preferences. 

Here's the screenshot of my System Information and System Preferences: http://imgur.com/jwrlmRq

ASUS K501LB - DM127D / Intel Core i3 - 5010u / 4GB Ram/ 500GB HDD / Realtek ALC233 / Intel HD 5500 + GT 940M / macOS Sierra 10.12.1

Could you send me your codec dump? (Please read here to know how to get codec dump from Linux).

Btw I haven't installed & tested Sierra on my own laptop yet so there could be updates to AppleHDA that broke the dummy kext.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm to buy a Asus k501ux

in your opinion, it is compatible with this guide ???

With some modifications this is possible

Not some, but quite a bunch of modifications in kext & config.plist, since k501ux uses Skylake CPU, not Broadwell. So I will say it is incompatible with this guide, but you can use it as a reference source.  :no:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to update the installation pack to version 2.0, together with guide and videos. There are many things to be edited, so it may take a week to complete.

Notable changes:

- Hotpatch will become the official method of ACPI patching.

- macOS Sierra will be officially supported.

- K501LB model will receive the same support as K501LX.

Due to these changes, the GitHub repository will be renamed to mac-os-k501l. The repository, together with wiki is being updated.  :lol:

Also the version naming scheme is modified: As this version contains breaking changes, so I named it v2.0 instead of v1.1. v1.0.1 will be changed to v1.1, and from now on every version will have the format of major.minor:rofl:

Cheers,

Le Cao Nguyen

• Like 2

Hello guys! First time posting here, but not completely new to building a hackintosh.

I tried installing MacOS on my laptop, and after a day I got most of it running. I run a Asus-k501lx. I only have some problems:

- Ethernet is not working, except in static mode. When just booting the system while having DHCP selected, the ethernet connection says that there is no connection and no IP-address. However ifconfig reports that it has an IP address. After some minutes (2-3), the network preference pane will report that it has an IP address, a DNS etcetera. But I still can't connect to the internet. I can't even ping the router, so it is not a DNS problem. I tried to install Realtek drivers, but it still has the same behaviour.

- The fn buttons for brightness do not work.

- Can I change the trackpad settings? I want to disable edge scrolling and enable two finger scrolling, also tap to click does not work.

Can somebody give me some directions, after I couldn't find more information after a day of searching.

I found the ethernet problem, I was using an access point in client mode to provide internet. Normally, you can disable the DHCP server to use the DHCP server of the router (it does work on Linux, Windows or on my other hackintosh). Apparently, that doesn't work with the kext. So I enabled the dhcp server of the access point and it seems to be working now.

If you are remaking the guide, I would also add that you should enable CSM, otherwise you screen sometimes glitches and you get random crashes.

• Like 1

Hello guys! First time posting here, but not completely new to building a hackintosh.

I tried installing MacOS on my laptop, and after a day I got most of it running. I run a Asus-k501lx. I only have some problems:

- Ethernet is not working, except in static mode. When just booting the system while having DHCP selected, the ethernet connection says that there is no connection and no IP-address. However ifconfig reports that it has an IP address. After some minutes (2-3), the network preference pane will report that it has an IP address, a DNS etcetera. But I still can't connect to the internet. I can't even ping the router, so it is not a DNS problem. I tried to install Realtek drivers, but it still has the same behaviour.

- The fn buttons for brightness do not work.

- Can I change the trackpad settings? I want to disable edge scrolling and enable two finger scrolling, also tap to click does not work.

Can somebody give me some directions, after I couldn't find more information after a day of searching.

Are you using macOS Sierra? If so, then install ApplePS2SmartTouchpad v4.7 beta 5.

I found the ethernet problem, I was using an access point in client mode to provide internet. Normally, you can disable the DHCP server to use the DHCP server of the router (it does work on Linux, Windows or on my other hackintosh). Apparently, that doesn't work with the kext. So I enabled the dhcp server of the access point and it seems to be working now.

If you are remaking the guide, I would also add that you should enable CSM, otherwise you screen sometimes glitches and you get random crashes.

Yes, I will note about enabling CSM in my updated guide, thank you.  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to update the installation pack to version 2.0, together with guide and videos. There are many things to be edited, so it may take a week to complete.

Notable changes:

- Hotpatch will become the official method of ACPI patching.

- macOS Sierra will be officially supported.

- K501LB model will receive the same support as K501LX.

Due to these changes, the GitHub repository will be renamed to mac-os-k501l. The repository, together with wiki is being updated.  :lol:

Also the version naming scheme is modified: As this version contains breaking changes, so I named it v2.0 instead of v1.1. v1.0.1 will be changed to v1.1, and from now on every version will have the format of major.minor:rofl:

Cheers,

Le Cao Nguyen

It's good news.. I am waiting for release :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

During the previous weeks I was busy with tests and projects at my university, so I did not have time to work with the next release. Now the semester has finished, I will resume my work ASAP.  ^_^

Btw, what is the problem with backlight in macOS 10.12.4? Can someone give me some info about this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a strange problem with 10.12.4 that the laptop can enter sleep mode, but it will show black screen and freeze after wake. However if I change the ig-platform-id to other values (like 0x16160002), then it stills show black screen after wake but the OS is working (I can press Ctrl + Power then R to perform rebooting). This problem doesn't happen on 10.12.3 and earlier, so I'm asking RehabMan for the solution.

Does anyone have this problem? If yes, please tell me. If not, then send me your configuration, including:

- EFI/CLOVER folder

- IOReg file (use IORegistryExplorer 2.1)

- List of kexts installed in /Library/Extensions

Thank you very much for your help and patience. :)

Yeah, I experience this issue too, that's quite annoying...

And for the brightness problem (even if I think that you experienced it by yourself), it looks like the brightness is stuck at 50%, it won't ever change no matter what you try (Fn+F6 or changing it in the settings)

(I've got an Asus K501LX)

Yeah, I experience this issue too, that's quite annoying...

And for the brightness problem (even if I think that you experienced it by yourself), it looks like the brightness is stuck at 50%, it won't ever change no matter what you try (Fn+F6 or changing it in the settings)

(I've got an Asus K501LX)

Get backlight work on sierra using this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-laptop-backlight-control-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/ guide.

I'm also getting issues on going to sleep. But my laptop even can't go to sleep. It's just stuck on black screen with keyboard backlight on.

• Like 1

Get backlight work on sierra using this https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-laptop-backlight-control-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/ guide.

I'm also getting issues on going to sleep. But my laptop even can't go to sleep. It's just stuck on black screen with keyboard backlight on.

Just tried to fix that by deleting the IntelBacklight.kext and it worked. The thing is, as said in that post, that the brightness range is quite limited. I'll try the full method but I'm a bit afraid 'cause I'm still "new" in the hackintosh world and I try to understand what I'm doing, still not getting the DSDT patches and all those things...

I'll also try to fix the sleep issue, if I find something I will post it here.

Thanks for the help !

Just tried to fix that by deleting the IntelBacklight.kext and it worked. The thing is, as said in that post, that the brightness range is quite limited. I'll try the full method but I'm a bit afraid 'cause I'm still "new" in the hackintosh world and I try to understand what I'm doing, still not getting the DSDT patches and all those things...

I'll also try to fix the sleep issue, if I find something I will post it here.

Thanks for the help !

You don't need to patch dsdt. This method works even by only deleting intel backlight kext from everywhere L\E, S\L\E, installing AppleBacklightInjector, and moving SSDT-PNLF to clover\acpi\patched folder. And you get ~70 level of brightness.