[GUIDE] Installing macOS on ASUS K501L

86 posts in this topic

Hi, my hackintosh is working flawlessly now except for wifi speed. I replaced my unsupported ar9462 with ar9285. I can connect to wifi and use internet with the AtherosARPT.kext you provided, but the internet speed seem to be very slow. I tested it using speedtest.net. My other laptop (with replaced ar9462 card) was easily to get speed around 20mbs while my hackintosh only 1 to 2mbs. That's pretty unusual for me. Do you have any idea how to fix that? Thanks in advance. 

AtherosARPT.kext only make the native OS X driver works with unsupported device IDs. Therefore the problem should lies on your card, network adapter settings or your Internet. You can go to System Preferences -> Network, select Wifi adapter, click Advanced then check the settings in Hardware tab.

Thanks for your help. I managed to fix this problem. The problem is caused by router chanel width setting. Default value is 20Mhz that limit wifi link speed to 65Mbit/s. After change chanel width to 40Mhz, the link speed was changed to 150Mbit/s as expected.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, is geforce 960m supported by MacOS ? How to enable it?

And one more question.. I have issue with graphics : http://image.prntscr.com/image/70d028b7e0da4348a8412654973d1f8b.png, It works perfect on external monitor, but not on laptop monitor.

You did not include your hardware specs in your signature, so I will not answer any of your questions. Besides that, if I'm not wrong, K501LX does not equip with nVidia GTX 960M.

You did not include your hardware specs in your signature, so I will not answer any of your questions. Besides that, if I'm not wrong, K501LX does not equip with nVidia GTX 960M.

yes, i'm wrong, 950m..

K501LX: Core i7 5500U 2400 MHz/15.6"/1920x1080/8.0Gb/1000Gb/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M/ - my configuration.

950M seems is not supported by MacOS :(

I have issue with graphics : http://image.prntscr...654973d1f8b.png, It works perfect on external monitor, but not on laptop monitor.

Seems works fine with with CSM enabled.

P.S. thanks for the guide.

• Like 1

Have you upgraded to official Sierra? If so, did everything work? Especially trackpad and keyboard, because they did not work well on my laptop with Sierra Public Beta 1.  :|

Yes, keyboard and trackpad seems work well.. But i mostly use wireless keyboard and mouse..

Yes, keyboard and trackpad seems work well.. But i mostly use wireless keyboard and mouse..

I have installed official Sierra yesterday and used the latest ApplePS2SmartTouchpad.kext, but some of the hotkeys (volume and brightness keys) and multitouch gestures (3 to 5 fingers) are still not working. That's why I'm not eager to update my guide for Sierra yet. Would you mind to test keyboard and trackpad again?

• 3 weeks later...

does the airplane indicator led is lit after wake ? is it a known problem ?

because it is happening on me

any solution ?

Currently there's no solution, and I don't mind to fix it because it's just a minor issue. You can dig into DSDT to know how to control airplane LED and link it with Wifi & Bluetooth state, then make a patch for it.

Currently there's no solution, and I don't mind to fix it because it's just a minor issue. You can dig into DSDT to know how to control airplane LED and link it with Wifi & Bluetooth state, then make a patch for it.

yep it's just a minor, have tried the x0r removal (OWLD) thru clover patch DSDT, it make the airplane indicator to act right but Wifi wouldn't be awake from sleep

OK than Thanks so much.

btw are you still on El Capitan ?

yep it's just a minor, have tried the x0r removal (OWLD) thru clover patch DSDT, it make the airplane indicator to act right but Wifi wouldn't be awake from sleep

OK than Thanks so much.

btw are you still on El Capitan ?

Yes, I'm still on El Capitan, cuz trackpad & keyboard doesn't work well on Sierra atm (driver hasn't been updated yet).

So the Xor removal patch made the airplane led worked? If I have free time, I will test it and integrate it to the hotpatch.  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Im happy to see your guide... 

I have an ASUS k501UX  with a skylake i5 cpu and Intel HD graphics 520

Does following your tutorial would work for me?

thanks..

No, because your hardware platform is Skylake, not Broadwell. However you can use my guide as a reference source.

• Like 1

No, because your hardware platform is Skylake, not Broadwell. However you can use my guide as a reference source.

thanks... by the way how's your hackintosh as a daily driver machine? is it good as a normal macbook.. do heavy softwares run fine like photoshop, after effects and final cut?

thanks

thanks... by the way how's your hackintosh as a daily driver machine? is it good as a normal macbook.. do heavy softwares run fine like photoshop, after effects and final cut?

thanks

I use mac os for coding only, and most of my works are on Windows. As the nvidia card doesn't work on mac os, heavy softwares can't be used.  :no:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there !
First of all, I want to thank you for your awesome guide, it helped me a lot :D

Then I got a few questions about this hackintosh.

Before I ask you those questions, here's my computer's configuration : 
Asus K501LX with an i5 5200U, GTX 950M, 1TB HDD and 12Gigs of RAM. My bundled wifi isn't working so I ordered the one you took in the guide.

The first minor issue is about the screen right after booting. My screen is "striated" and unusable... until I close the laptop and open it after about 10sec. Yup, that's strange. When connected to HDMI, the integrated screen is "striated" but the external looks normal. It did this during the installation too. So I wondered if you had this problem and maybe how to solve it. (Iv'e attached a picture of the phenomenon during the OS X installation process)

The second question is about updating to Sierra. I know you tried and then got back to El Capitan because mouse and Keyboard aren't fully supported, but I don't really care about this kind of details. Anyway, so I wanted to update to Sierra but Clover doesn't find the "Install macOS" option. So I updated Clover to the lastest version available, I installed it properly but when I hit enter, either on the "Install macOS" option or on the El Capitan partition, it won't boot.
To be more precise, It shows the Apple logo, no loading bar appears, and then it quickly reboots, that's really strange. I tried almost everything, editing the config.plist, updating the Kexts etc... none of those solutions works.

Then I got one last question about the touchpad : every gesture is working, even with 3 fingers for the launchpad etc... But I can't scroll with two fingers. The option is ticked in "System Preferences > Trackpad" and other two fingers gesture like the right click are working. I'm pretty sure that the Kext are installed properly.

Hope we can get those little things working,

Arkisto

post-1699558-0-94186700-1479227051_thumb.png

Hello Im happy to see your guide... good work :thumbsup_anim:

I have an ASUS k751l  with  i7 broadwell u cpu and Intel HD graphics 5500

Does following your tutorial would work for me?

thanks..

Look at the first post. I already stated that any model other than K501LX/K501LB should use this guide as reference only.

Hi there !

First of all, I want to thank you for your awesome guide, it helped me a lot :D

Then I got a few questions about this hackintosh.

Before I ask you those questions, here's my computer's configuration : 

Asus K501LX with an i5 5200U, GTX 950M, 1TB HDD and 12Gigs of RAM. My bundled wifi isn't working so I ordered the one you took in the guide.

The first minor issue is about the screen right after booting. My screen is "striated" and unusable... until I close the laptop and open it after about 10sec. Yup, that's strange. When connected to HDMI, the integrated screen is "striated" but the external looks normal. It did this during the installation too. So I wondered if you had this problem and maybe how to solve it. (Iv'e attached a picture of the phenomenon during the OS X installation process)

The second question is about updating to Sierra. I know you tried and then got back to El Capitan because mouse and Keyboard aren't fully supported, but I don't really care about this kind of details. Anyway, so I wanted to update to Sierra but Clover doesn't find the "Install macOS" option. So I updated Clover to the lastest version available, I installed it properly but when I hit enter, either on the "Install macOS" option or on the El Capitan partition, it won't boot.

To be more precise, It shows the Apple logo, no loading bar appears, and then it quickly reboots, that's really strange. I tried almost everything, editing the config.plist, updating the Kexts etc... none of those solutions works.

Then I got one last question about the touchpad : every gesture is working, even with 3 fingers for the launchpad etc... But I can't scroll with two fingers. The option is ticked in "System Preferences > Trackpad" and other two fingers gesture like the right click are working. I'm pretty sure that the Kext are installed properly.

Hope we can get those little things working,

Arkisto

- About the first issue, try to enable CSM in BIOS settings.

- I don't recommend upgrade to Sierra yet, as some of the hardware/functions are not working well on Sierra. You are responsible for your own actions.

- For the last issue, you can try to change the scrolling speed, untick and retick two finger scrolling and see if it worked.

• Like 1

ASUS k751LB 

i7 broadwell u intel HD 5500

nvidia 940m (disable)

SSD 500 GB windows 10 + 1TB HDD MAC OS X sierra

hello again

I would like to thank you for this wonderful guide i used as reference but with os x sierra USB INSTALER

Laptop works great  :yes:

Except for two problems I could not find a solution for them
1- open display preferences  [preferences not load displays preference pane] Hd 5500 work and backlight is work

2- trakpad work but no click and no preferences 
Any possible solutions ???? :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

post-1708650-0-38439800-1479255292_thumb.png

post-1708650-0-80010200-1479255297_thumb.png

post-1708650-0-20674300-1479255304_thumb.png

Thank you, no more startup graphic bug and no more scroll problem.

I would like to thank you for this wonderful guide i used as reference but with os x sierra USB INSTALER

Oh nice, I haven't tried Sierra with this method, I tried with a [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] stick but I had graphical issues (no blur effect and bad resolution)...
May I ask you which kexts you used for your installation ? The ones in this guide or the lastests versions downloaded somewhere ?

• Like 1

Thank you, no more startup graphic bug and no more scroll problem.

Oh nice, I haven't tried Sierra with this method, I tried with a ##### stick but I had graphical issues (no blur effect and bad resolution)...

May I ask you which kexts you used for your installation ? The ones in this guide or the lastests versions downloaded somewhere ?

Glad to hear this Success installation

1- Update clover bootloader to last version to make USB Sierra installation after instal copy past the clover partition from Usb to efi partition on disk

2- remove all Kext number keep other kext only in usb and efi partition after install

3-Change Pre-DVMT Allocated to 64/128MB in BIOS settings.

4-Use SwitchResX if you want to switch to custom HiDPI resolution3

use this
to FixEDID  

post-1708650-0-02895900-1479565363_thumb.png