Dual LGA2011 Hackintosh Build + El Capitan 10.11 Guide

e97

16 posts in this topic

Build:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 (x2)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (x2)
RAM: 16 GB (x2) + 8GB (x4) = 64 GB DDR3 ECC
Motherboard: Asrock EP2C602-4L/D16
GPU: GTX 960 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
HDD: Seagate 5900RPM (x2)
PSU: 750W

Last Updated: 2016-05-23

Guide

--------

0. Get Install OS X El Capitan.app from the App Store from a Mac and create an install USB.

1. Download Clover from (https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/) [ver: Clover_v2.3k_r3543.zip]

a. Select "Install for UEFI booting only" install and "Drivers64UEFI" > "OsxAptioFixDrv-64"

2. Get FakeSMC.kext from HWsensors project (http://www.hwsensors.com/releases) [ver: HWSensors 6.19.1406]  and copy to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/ 

Running into this problem:

Prohibited sign and garbled text using built in VGA. Research show that the USB stack changed in El Capitan so the USB root device that the installer is on disappears:

using cpus=1 boot flag

- potential fixes:

try another USB port, I'm already using the one on the back.

try the usb port on the motherboard used for bios updating

try injecting usb kext for c602

• Like 1

I was trying to debug with "cpus=1" but its not necessary.

This post helped me get to booting and installing: http://sixflow.net/osx86/System/79673

post-1711084-0-72044400-1464141683_thumb.png

All 4 ethernet ports are working as does USB 2.0.

Not working:
Sleep, Power states, Turbo boost,

Fixed RAM issues by specifying RAM in config.plist. Now it seems I either choose Power States + Turbo boost OR ethernet.. cant seem to get both working at the same time.

I'll update the guide as I get things working and fix issues. Any advice on how I can get everything working faster would be appreciated, I'm currently researching generating my own DSDT and applying patches through clover config.plist.

Have you thought about virtualising the OS X? I mean with this hardware you can't saturate all your resources with OS X as host.

I would run something like unRAID and setup OS X with GPU passthrough.

I was planning on using this for machine for software development/compilation, machine learning, photo processing, CAD, etc, with some virtual machines in VirtualBox/Parallels. I think that would use most of the resources and still give me a responsive system during heavy multitasking. I prefer to do most of those things in OS X.

Why is it not possible to saturate those resources with OS X as host? I havent encountered unRAID. If I were to use virtualization as the base, whats the benefit of unRAID over say a ubuntu/debian Xen host with virtualized OS X and others OSes on top of that?

I also wonder what the performance hit would be to day-to-day work by using a virtualized desktop OS.

I was planning on using this for machine for software development/compilation, machine learning, photo processing, CAD, etc, with some virtual machines in VirtualBox/Parallels. I think that would use most of the resources and still give me a responsive system during heavy multitasking. I prefer to do most of those things in OS X.

Why is it not possible to saturate those resources with OS X as host? I havent encountered unRAID. If I were to use virtualization as the base, whats the benefit of unRAID over say a ubuntu/debian Xen host with virtualized OS X and others OSes on top of that?

I also wonder what the performance hit would be to day-to-day work by using a virtualized desktop OS.

You could do all those things in a virtualized environment. I even encourage you to do that, because for example with a VM you could just take a snapshot and return to a previous point, after you test or deploy  something.

VirtualBox/Parallels or any of the current virtualization solutions with OS X as host are classified as type-2 (hosted hypervisors) as opposed to type-1 hypervisors (bare metal). You could interpretate it as so, that type-1 runs directly on hardware and is capable of using all hardware ressources, type-2 runs on a OS, which runs on a hardware, so it can't use all hardware ressources. Check here for more.

unRAID is just a suite of open source software and uses KVM and QEMU. You could just go ahead and install any linux flavour and set it up yourself.

With your CPU and a GPU passthrough the performance hit of a day-to-day work would be minimum, like 1-2% tops.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see someone already successful at a build that i was planning on doing.

Whats the update on this rig? Did you get the sound/ethernet working? Isnt there a mode to run the CPU always at the turbo mode?

Be sure to turn off the Power Management in the BIOS so you're Geekbench ~34K

OS X:

Ethernet works natively. HDMI audio was also working.

Virtualized OS X:

Ethernet, HDMI Audio working. no GPU passthrough.

However I'm not a fan of virtualized, would prefer OS X as the base. Perhaps if I had another GPU and did pass through it might be different.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi E97, how are you. I am trying to get power management working on my HP z820 with 10.11.5. It has dual xeons E5 2640 @ 2.5 Ghz. The geekbench right now on multicore is 20.000. 

I tried to turn off BIOS power management but I get the same results. I was looking into your thread here, could you please tell me how sign in so that I could post comments.

Thank you.

Hi E97, how are you. I am trying to get power management working on my HP z820 with 10.11.5. It has dual xeons E5 2640 @ 2.5 Ghz. The geekbench right now on multicore is 20.000. 
I tried to turn off BIOS power management but I get the same results. I was looking into your thread here, could you please tell me how sign in so that I could post comments.

Thank you.

I use the translate feature of Google Chrome to create and post comments, however it seems on that forum, you need to "contribute" something otherwise the post is rejected.

For better performance, you need to have the SSDT file generated for your CPUs using pikeRalpha's ssdtgen script and make sure its then placed in the patched SSDT Clover directory.

Read these two threads:

------------------

Tyan S7050GM4NR , e5 2670 x2 Hackintosh system build 및 El Capitan installation

Translated instructions for ssdtPRGen.sh

4-1 Speedstep

If you are using a downloaded ssdtPRGen.sh of Pike Ralpha. Download from here  https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.shViewer(use master branch)

Open a terminal and go to the directory and run the following ssdtPRGen.sh using the CPU information.

sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh -c 1 -w 3 -turbo <YOUR TURBO SPEED>

You can use the generated ssdt.aml.

Edited by carlo_67
Link removed rule laws

Hi E97, thank you for your reply. I am trying to get in contact with http://www.sixflow.net/ becauseI know how to get audio and USB3 working on the z420. On the freeboard I don't seem to see a way to write the post and when trying to sign in it asks for a phone number.

I would like to download the attached files from the z420 and the Tyan build just to try a few things for stability on the z420 and z820.

Thank you for advice and the links I will give that a try and let you know.

Hi E97, thank you for your reply. I am trying to get in contact with http://www.sixflow.net/ becauseI know how to get audio and USB3 working on the z420. On the freeboard I don't seem to see a way to write the post and when trying to sign in it asks for a phone number.

I would like to download the attached files from the z420 and the Tyan build just to try a few things for stability on the z420 and z820.

Thank you for advice and the links I will give that a try and let you know.

Try entering all 0s for the phone number, I think thats what I did.

why your GPU show 5MB..? as i know GTX 960 can be recognise with wedrivers

is your CPU recognised directly by the OS like you show on the snapshot or you have modified the name?

That was when I was using the built in VGA.. using a GTX 970 at the moment

post-1711084-0-24871200-1466900783_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Alright so i have the same motherboard/cpu and GTX 650ti boost. Now i've tried everything to get past the 'missing bluetooth controller transport' when i try to boot from el capitan usb. Any pointers on how you fixed that? 

• 9 months later...

Was anyone successful downloading config and kext files from the link on Korean site? I have the same motherboard and e5-2670 CPUs and after spending almost a month about to give up on installation :(

any help is appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Hi , I'm CK , newbie to this group 

I'd like to thanks for everyone in this group for the guide that make me success to build the first hackintosh 

specs.

- dua e5 2670

- ep2c602 4l/d16

- 64 gb etc ram 1600 mhz

- MSI radeon rx560

- intel ssd 120 GB

----

I success to install Sierra 10.12.6 with the help of clover , newest version r4200

set Driver64UEFI->OsxAptioFix2Drv-64

Have to download clover configurator and modify the config.plist to

-v npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1 cpus=2 dart=0 nv_disable=1

system template I use Mac Pro 6.1

memory 128 gb (16 x 8 mg of 1600)

- have to put FakeSMC.kext , NullCPUPowerManagement.kext Appleintel1000e.kext in efi/clover/kexts/10.12

- have to put latest version of lilu and whatever green.kext in efi/clover/kexts/other for the AMD graphic card

---

Sierra natively support AMD , after install have to make new dsdt.aml  for dual cpu and power management

----

what works?

- all network

- usb-2.0

- sleep and wakeup

programs?

- fcpx = work

- motion = work

- video = use vlc = work

what not

- power management

- usb motu sound card