Shiki — protected video playback support on recent hardware

vit9696
211 posts in this topic

I am on 10.13 (17A405) and can watch trailers, download and watch HD but can only stream on HD episode.

Question, is this about working correct or does anyone have full streaming working. I had for one night but stopped working the day after. Remaining one episode streamable.

• Shiki-based solution for non-freezing Intel and/or any discrete GPU:

• IGPU device is enabled, and present with a connector-less AAPL,ig-platform-id prop (e.g. <04 00 12 04>, <07 00 62 01>), use connector-full framebuffers in solo mode;
      -IGPU disabled
    • Discrete GPU is properly configured with IOVARendererID present in IOReg;
      -GTX960 confirmed, IOVARendererID present in nvAccelerator, <08 00 04 01>
    • VDADecoderChecker confirms Intel Offline (Online) VDA decoder working;

VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473

An error was returned by the decoder layer. This may happen for example because of bitstream/data errors during a decode operation. This error may also be returned from VDADecoderCreate when hardware decoder resources are available on the system but currently in use by another process.

VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...6 completed.

• IMEI device is present in IOReg;
      -yes, but not used as IGPU turned off
    • No override preferences are used;
      -yes
    • Mac model set to the one supporting hardware acceleration.
      -set to iMac14,2 an iMac15,2 tested

Hi, I was able to get:

GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen9 
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

This was with the latest Lilu, Shiki & NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts which are still in source code stage. If anyone is using them, I would like to know are you getting HW decoding in browsers outside Safari? I tried Firefox and Chrome, both seem to fall back again to CPU. I understand chrome and Firefox use VP9 codecs on sites like Youtube, so I even tested with H264ify extension, which uses the mp4 AVC similar to Safari, yet those two browsers were still relying on CPU. Everything else works fine, I am getting HW decode in apps like VLC, INNA, MacX Video converter shows Hardware Encoding Support: Yes. 

My specs are:

intel i7 6700

Asus maximus viii gene

Msi GTX 1070 Gaming X

For NVIDIA+SKL/KBL

You have to use shikigva=4 for 10.12.

For 10.13, you have to use shikigva=12 and to add processes in Patches.plist in source code Shiki.kext. This temporary condition for 10.13.

• Like 2

G.Com, you are most likely out of luck for streaming for 10.13. Unless Apple fixes their iTunes crashes in 10.13 you won't be able to use IGPU in iTunes, and without IGPU you cannot get streaming work.

Thanks for clarification!

Since one episode and trsilers do stream, is there anything I can forward to assist your investigations?

A weird one: movies plays fine but iTunes extras (extra videos, other extra content such as text, booklets or pictures are ok...) won't play??

Specs: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H, i7 4790, 16 gb of RAM, Nividia GTX 950. Sierra 10.12.6 with Ozmosis boot loader.

Latest Shiki (2.1.0) and lilu (1.2.0.). iMac kext too...

Obviously, fine on my MBP early 2011 but I've noticed that these extras videos will resize the display (smaller than the movie). On the hack, it stays on a black screen with the play/pause doing nothing...

Someone else seeing the same thing?

Thank,

brousseau6933, delete iMac.kext and add latest NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Already tried as it is supposed to give the same result (and also deleted NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext for the same reason) but trying to play movies: "no HDCP compatible monitor is available". What gives?? Putting back iMac.kext, no more HDCP something message!

Thanks for the suggestion however...

Found the answer, I think at least, on MacRumors:

"flashy-cat said: ↑

Slightly off-topic but, has the format of the extras changed? An older movie (Home Alone) has a separate extras file but the latest one I bought (Grease) doesn't seem to have an extras file.

Yes a while back. Maybe a year or so. The extras are streamed now I think? I thought they were now bundled within the file but lost net connection once and extras would not play."

So, as streaming isn't working for me, no extras on the Hackintosh...

Found the answer, I think at least, on MacRumors:

"flashy-cat said: ↑

Slightly off-topic but, has the format of the extras changed? An older movie (Home Alone) has a separate extras file but the latest one I bought (Grease) doesn't seem to have an extras file.

Yes a while back. Maybe a year or so. The extras are streamed now I think? I thought they were now bundled within the file but lost net connection once and extras would not play."

So, as streaming isn't working for me, no extras on the Hackintosh...

Hey,

When I play movie's Extra, it show some glitch green moving and sound.(but sound is good.)

Only using new Lilu, NVfix, Shiki (Shikivga=12).

Everything working fine in 10.13.1 except the Extra in iTunes.

• 2 weeks later...

When I use Shiki iTunes crash. I have just SKL HD530 I am adding Shiki to S/L and add this -shikigva=16 to boot arg but nothing change crash all the time. I also tried -shikigva=4 but nothing change. Can anyone help me why this crash happening?

• 4 weeks later...

If I may - I get that same error code but I can play all my iTunes Movie collection as well as Movie Extras so by my experience, I don't think that error code is such a big deal. Just insure you have the very latest NvidiaGraphicFixup.Kext, Lilu.Kext and Shiki.Kext in the 'Other' kext folder in the EFI partition and give it a shot - worked for me. Good luck.

Hi, I need some help. I'm using i3-7100 and GT 1030, I can't get VDA working on my GT 1030. Every time I try VDADecoderChecker, I have the same error code -12473. Anyway, I can fix this ?

Do you use a recent version of the VDADecoderChecker?

There was a bug that caused this error code -12473:

https://github.com/cylonbrain/VDADecoderCheck/commit/75067cc6b3dc0984ff5cee71a68d715a4d1b7b16

Ok.

Just a thought and maybe nonsense, but: 

If the video resolution is bigger than the monitor resolution, it could be the same problem.

In this case, a recent version of the VDADecoderChecker should give you 'Hardware acceleration is fully supported'.

Ok.

Just a thought and maybe nonsense, but: 

If the video resolution is bigger than the monitor resolution, it could be the same problem.

In this case, a recent version of the VDADecoderChecker should give you 'Hardware acceleration is fully supported'.

Ok, my video is 1080 × 1920 and my monitor is 1920x1080. Do you have any pre-built VDADecoderCheck?

• 1 month later...

I've been having some problems with protected video playback working with Shiki in iTunes and Safari (running 10.13.3).

What's happening is if I use boot-arg shikigva=12, playing back protected content crashes iTunes (TV show) and Safari (Amazon/Hulu) after a few garbled frames. However, I can play back a protected file in QuickTime without issue. If I use boot-arg shikigva=28, playing back protected content does not crash iTunes (TV show) but it will not play, and Safari (Amazon/Hulu) does not crash but they also will not play. However, I can play Trailers and play back a protected file in QuickTime without issue. Has anyone had a similar issue and found a solution?

My hardware: First in signature below.

Sams-Desktop:~ sam$ Downloads/VDADecoderChecker
GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen9
Hardware acceleration is fully supported

My config:

IGPU enabled in BIOS / 64M; PCIE primary

Hardware acceleration is working

Latest Lilu, Shiki, NvidiaGraphicsFixup

Renamed GFX0 to IGPU and HECI to IMEI

ig-platform-id 0x19120001

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

first of all, thank you so much for awesome work about shiki

i checked latest shiki on 10.13.4 beta3(17E160e)

https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/commit/78d7eaba567ddf5b57ad4fd3cc901fa2d6835bd4

i didn't add bootarg for itunes crash. i just added latest shiki. then tested it. itunes crash back.

Does this section encourage users to use bootarg rather than automatic patching?