Shiki — protected video playback support on recent hardware

vit9696
211 posts in this topic

Does anyone have this working on 10.12 and Itunes 12.5.1? I previously had this working on 10.11.6. But after upgrading to 10.12 it doesn't work anymore.

Current setup is with IGPU enabled and GTX 970 as Main Display.
IGPU Setup Connectorless with "AAPL,ig-platform-id" = <04 00 12 04> device-id <12 04 00 00> via DSDT Edit
IMEI +-o IMEI@16  <class IOPCIDevice, id 0x1000001b1, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (2 ms), retain 11> via pjalm MEI Haswell patch.
nvAccelerator has entries for IOVARendererID <08 00 04 01> and IOVARendererSubID <03 00 00 00> via iMac.kext

VDADecoderChecker:
"GVA info: Successfully connected to the Intel plugin, offline Gen75 
Hardware acceleration is fully supported"

Have Reset DMR multiple times with no default, forceNV and forceIntel.

Have tried both in Clover/Kexts/Other and L/E.

I think I have tried every option available. Any ideas?

Figured it out....

I just spent a day and half on this issue trying everything I could to get it working and I come to find out it has probably been working the whole time...

I have always been able to play HD trailers. Just thought that I couldn't play my purchased movies...

Well I can't play my purchased movies unless they are downloaded to my system. I was always trying to play them from the cloud "AirPlay" while they downloaded... Like you can from a regular Mac or Apple TV. This would never work.

So for testing purposes I just downloaded one of my purchased movies and once it was downloaded to my system it played perfectly. 

Conclusion - Sierra 10.12 and iTunes 12.5.1 Work
So in my situation iTunes Trailers and Downloaded movies play. Purchased movies in the cloud will not play from the cloud only when they are downloaded...

Here is a testing version which fixes issues in 10.12.1 b3+:

https://applelife.ru/attachments/1-9-0-zip.125059/

Please test and report on any macOS version.

Revert all the insane defaults changes, Info.plist patches, etc.

If there are no issues, I guess it could be uploaded to github...

I am still only able to play trailers and downloaded movies. I cannot play movies or content from the cloud, the content has to be on my system. Is this normal?

Hello,

I was using your patch to disable HDCP on HD4400, 10.12 and it used to work fine. Today I updated to 10.12.1 and the same patch no longer works. Safari hangs the system when playing video. Any suggestions? Should I try the old AzulFramebuffer kext?

@vit9696 all fine with the testing version no need to edit /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/Resources/Info.plist anymore for me just had to force ATIDecider again since it won´t work if I don´t force it. Movies and Trailers are playing fine regardless if they are local or from the cloud. Videos through AppleMusic still don´t play. If I try to watch some of AMF10 Videos I get sound but no video the video output shows a static stripes pattern instead...

@vit9696They changed something into newest build 16B2657, not working anymore. I used to to 

defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwaveVideoDecoder disable

And AzulPatch in Clover, working good till i updated to 10.12.1 after today's keynote and is  not working anymore :(

I run shiki 1.9.0 with HD4600

vit9696. I made the whole procedure, put the kext in EFI folder Clover, forced to decode for my video card, but without success.

Using MacOS Sierra 10.12.1

Who in the world told you that AMD 7850 has working hardware drm decoder and you should use force?

Kill that incompetent person and show him the manual:

https://github.com/vit9696/Shiki/blob/master/FAQ.en.md

Then read the manual yourself, understand it properly, and you will have working stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After resetting DRM, disabling PAVP and a couple restarts, i make it through! Works perfect with HD4600.

Are you on the latest beta for Sierra? I have a 4600 on my HP laptop and while trailers work with the pavp disabled, sleep is borked and DRM protected files don't play saying my display isn't hdcp compatible. I looked at the FAQ section and everything worked except VDAChecker won't run to verify if I have full hardware acceleration. Would you kindly provide the steps you took to setup Shiki? Thanks

Gpus into laptops use another device id. So I don't know what to say. ask dev .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I am using the FakePCI to allow my laptop to get QE/CI but it does disguise my 0416 Laptop ID as an 0412 Desktop 4600. Hope there is a solution to get it to work without the wake issue.

Ok so I did a clean install of 10.12.1 and SD iTunes videos play without error once it's on my system. When I try HD videos, after a few seconds, I get the HDCP error. Also I followed the FAQ guide and when I disable hardware decoder with this line "defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwaveVideoDecoder disable", waking from sleep still has issues as videos just show a black screen but audio plays. I tried resetting DRM too and one thing I've noticed is if I also add this line "defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceSWDecoder -boolean yes" then videos play after waking up but have other issues. Any other suggestion? Running on Intel 4600.

Edit: Just to add some more info. The issues that happen when enabling software decoder is iTunes won't play videos after sleep (just hangs). When either just hardware decoder is disabled or if software decoder is selected as well, Google Chrome won't work. Shiki is installed to Clover/EFI/kexts and my ig-platform-id is "<0600260a>". I do have a Nvidia GT 740M onboard as well but it's disabled from a SSDT since it's not natively supported by OSX and QE/CI won't work with it enabled. Hope I provided enough info as SD videos do play but still have the HDCP issue with HD videos and the sleep issue as explained above.

This is a kext correcting certain issues at userspace level. At this moment it is only interesting for Ivy owners and newer.

Homepage | Historical background

It is likely reasonable to collect some stats with hardware reports (which ones worked ok, which ones failed). Please use the following format: CPU Model, GPU Model, IGPU Model (including ig-platform-id), OS X version. 

P. S. Read the FAQ before asking any questions.

First, i want to thank you for your Kext. It works fine for me. I'm using El Capitan 10.11.6

My specs:

MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming (I believe IGPU is HD 2500 and disabled in BIOS)

Intel i5 3570(Non K)

2x4GB Ram DDR3 1633

Sapphire R9 280 GPU

Sandisk 120GB SSD(El Capitan works here)

Last BIOS update with full support for UEFI

Your kext didn't work in the beginning. I followed your tutorial carefully and installed from scratch. I put your Kext into ##### EFI>Kext>10.11 and after the installation, injected into Clover right away. This way, your Kext has always been loaded and i checked it with "Kextstat | grep Shiki" and it was always giving me output. I restarted 3 times and opened iTunes and all the trailers freezing before, played fine.

My problem  can be related to your solution. That's why, i'm going to bother you if you don't mind. The reason i installed El Capitan is i have freeze issue with Sierra 10.12.1 to 10.12.2 beta3. In Safari, certain videos freeze the system and there is no way to revive it without power off. I tried SSDT, DSDT, injecting id for Ati Card, re-installed many times and there was no way i could stop it. I checked my hardware and matching one is Mac Mini Server 6,2( Checked in another forum, Etrecheck etc..) but i also changed it to iMac 14,1 13,2 13,1 in SMBIOS. Nothing changed. I included a link for a video which freezes the system right away. In El Capitan, this video does play but only sound. In Sierra 10.12, it says bad video and it doesn't start. Switching to Firefox or Chrome solves the issue but i have iPhone and iPad and i like using Safari for full sync and keychain so that i switched back to El Capitan but i really like to use Sierra without this issue. Hope you can help. 

http://www.macworld.com/article/2871803/unlocking-disk-utility-s-hidden-secrets.html

In El Capitan 10.11.6 Video starts, audio is fine but no video.

In Sierra 10.12 Video does not start it gives "Bad video something"

Sierra 10.12 to 10.12.2 beta3 it freezes the system. In addition to that, Facebook messages freeze the system. After turning off notification sound, problem solved.

Ok so I did a clean install of 10.12.1 and SD iTunes videos play without error once it's on my system. When I try HD videos, after a few seconds, I get the HDCP error. Also I followed the FAQ guide and when I disable hardware decoder with this line "defaults write com.apple.coremedia hardwaveVideoDecoder disable", waking from sleep still has issues as videos just show a black screen but audio plays. I tried resetting DRM too and one thing I've noticed is if I also add this line "defaults write com.apple.AppleGVA forceSWDecoder -boolean yes" then videos play after waking up but have other issues. Any other suggestion? Running on Intel 4600.

Edit: Just to add some more info. The issues that happen when enabling software decoder is iTunes won't play videos after sleep (just hangs). When either just hardware decoder is disabled or if software decoder is selected as well, Google Chrome won't work. Shiki is installed to Clover/EFI/kexts and my ig-platform-id is "<0600260a>". I do have a Nvidia GT 740M onboard as well but it's disabled from a SSDT since it's not natively supported by OSX and QE/CI won't work with it enabled. Hope I provided enough info as SD videos do play but still have the HDCP issue with HD videos and the sleep issue as explained above.

As far as i can tell, adding the kext from the very beginning, resolves all the issues. I tested myself 2 times and it works for all the trailers( I tried more than 30 and most were giving me trouble before because i installed the kext after i opened iTunes). 

Look for PAVP in the FAQ it outlines all the details I know about freezes for the time being.

I honestly don't know what PAVP is and in your FAQ, it's about HD4600 and HD4400. I have no idea how to patch my GPU(R9 280). Sorry for my ignorance.

In this case I do not have an immediate idea what it might be. Disabling hardware video decoder could have helped.

I will try that thank you. One last thing, to disable PAVP and HDCP, what do i need to do for R9 280?