Unbootable FW800 drive; load Firewire driver on EFI partition?

1 post in this topic

So I have an enclosure that began life as an "Iomega Mac Companion". The hard drive has been taken out, and I've put in an SSD. The intent was to boot over the SSD with the FW800 port in my mid-2007 iMac. Problem is, the thing won't boot over Firewire. It will boot over USB 2.0, but the max transfer rate is only 30mb/s. I'd like to get it to boot over the much faster FW800 interface. The drive is visible and writeable over FW800, it just will not boot. I've tried going to the Startup Disk preferences panel, and I can select the drive there, it just boots off the internal drive. If I hold down the Alt/Option key while booting, the drive does not appear (although it is visible if connected over USB.)

So I was thinking that perhaps if I could access the EFI partition on the internal drive, I could drop a Firewire driver/kext in it and then possibly sort of chain load the external drive. Is this feasible? How would I go about making the EFI partition accessible, and which kext would I need to load?