5960x successfully installed under El Capitan 10.11.3

138 posts in this topic

Thumbs up Brumbaer!

Can i use your kext with 10.11.4 El Capitan install?

if you're using clover you shouldn't really need the kext, just use the patch. Should work on 10.11.4 and 10.11.5 as well
  • Like 2

if you're using clover you shouldn't really need the kext, just use the patch. Should work on 10.11.4 and 10.11.5 as well

Hi motionworks &  jamiethemorris, 

I'm managed to successfully use Brumbaer clover patch on 10.11.5  :yes:

I should be posting a full guide (Portuguese/English) this weekend for my system, where the following features are all functional:

• My 3 monitors working on my Nvidia 980 ti, with full AppleHDA sound + HDMI.
  • 1 x ethernet + Wlan @ 5Ghz
  • All USB3 ports available
  • Fully power management, from 1.2Ghz to 4.5Ghz
  • Bluetooth, AirDrop, Facetime, iMessage and much faster than on 10.10.5

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 1

I'm back.

All reports I received about patch and kext are positive and I installed it on 10.11.6 - also working. So it seems save to say that patch and kext do work with 10.11. 

I'm encountering problems with P-States/speed-stepping. I only had an hour for testing since I arrived. Basically I can get speed-stepping working correctly but only up to 3GHz. I can also get it running at max. clock rate all the time without any speed-stepping, and I can get max. clock rate with speed stepping, but the  max. clock rate will not be "held" in Geekbench, so the score is way below what could be expected.

It does not seem to be related to XHCI or any interrupt.

If anyone has speed stepping working correctly I'd be thankful for settings, SSDT/DSDT, config.plist and/or kexts used to get that working.

• Like 1

Thank you augustopaulo, i will be waiting for a full guide, i am still unable to boot correctly with Brumbaer's patch, probably my fault, cos there are tons of settings in clover. I have been using Chameleon for a long time.
By the way my motherboard is Asus X99-E WS. Maybe it is the reason for unsuccessful attempts. 

I'm back.

All reports I received about patch and kext are positive and I installed it on 10.11.6 - also working. So it seems save to say that patch and kext do work with 10.11.

I'm encountering problems with P-States/speed-stepping. I only had an hour for testing since I arrived. Basically I can get speed-stepping working correctly but only up to 3GHz. I can also get it running at max. clock rate all the time without any speed-stepping, and I can get max. clock rate with speed stepping, but the max. clock rate will not be "held" in Geekbench, so the score is way below what could be expected.

It does not seem to be related to XHCI or any interrupt.

If anyone has speed stepping working correctly I'd be thankful for settings, SSDT/DSDT, config.plist and/or kexts used to get that working.

There were a bunch of solutions for the speedstep thing, I was never able to get any of them to work... I ended up overclocking with bclk instead of the multipliers which gives me some decent speed stepping as well as a decent over clock and the osx and windows scores match. That might be just my particular board though. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using NCPM.

• Like 1

On my system, the best speedstepping/performance setting I've found yet are(I'm still experimenting):

Use fakecpuid and nullcpumanagment.

In bios EPU Power Saving Mode on, turn off speedstep(EIST), turbo on. C1 states on and Enhanced C1 state on.

This give me fairly low wattage used in idle(around 10 Watts), but solid line in geekbench at 3.3Ghz (instead of 3.5Ghz oddly..would be nice to find a fakecpuid that made it go to 3.5...all 4 I've tried give the same result)...but it is acting like a turbo.

This give me great consistent multicore scores around 27000.

I'm not overclocking at all.

• Like 3

Thanks to you two.
I'll give it a try.

BCLCK oC didn't work out, so I settled with no EIST, NullCPUManagement etc.

In contrast to Fullerfun's system, mine shows the Geekbench Solid Lane at the the same Frequency as the OC setting.

4750/36019 seems ok and a way better than the 4700/25000 I've got before.

I will try some more settings and will tomorrow look at sound, USB 3.0 and probably WiFi.

Couldn't wait, had to try sound and USB. Supposed to be easy - and for a change it was.

Sound installed by using AppleALC.

USB 3.0 with USBInjectall and negative list.

Both work as intended.

There are about 160 XHCI interrupts per second, but that is due to the Wireless Trackball stick - all's well.

• Like 1

Couldn't wait, had to try sound and USB. Supposed to be easy - and for a change it was.

Sound installed by using AppleALC.

USB 3.0 with USBInjectall and negative list.

Both work as intended.

There are about 160 XHCI interrupts per second, but that is due to the Wireless Trackball stick - all's well.

What is USBinjectall and negative list? Is that one of the methods in the haswell-e installation guide?

Don't know about the Haswell Installation guide.

It's the standard method I use to get USB 3.0 running under El Capitan.

Put USBInjectAll in the Kexts/Other folder, rename the XHCI controller to XHC if needed (Clover Patch), find the ports number in use, remove the ports you do not use (Clover BootArg) to get under the 15 port limit.

I prefer this to editing dsdt/ssdt and the other methods, because I find it quite neat and straight forward.

• Like 1

Thank you augustopaulo, i will be waiting for a full guide, i am still unable to boot correctly with Brumbaer's patch, probably my fault, cos there are tons of settings in clover. I have been using Chameleon for a long time.

By the way my motherboard is Asus X99-E WS. Maybe it is the reason for unsuccessful attempts. 

Hi motionworks,

Just posted an easy installation guide for 10.11.5 with 5960x here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312373-easy-installation-of-el-capitan-10115-in-5960x-cpu/

Boa sorte,

Paulo

• Like 1

I have tried both Brumbaer's and augustopaulo's guides without luck, My motherboard has problems with clover bootloader according to rampagedev. But a guy successfully installed yosemite with clover to x99-e ws with 5960x.

I am always getting kernel panic something like this. I have tried several boot flags with clover, different configs, finally i have tried chameleon enoch boot loader method, the result is always same.

Any idea?

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80008cfac4): Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\”.|n”@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3248.50.21/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1665

Debugger called <panic>
Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address
0xffffff8715a13df0 : 0xffffff80002dab12
0xffffff8715a13e70 : 0xffffff80008cfac4
0xffffff8715a13e80 : 0xffffff8000891f0d
0xffffff8715a13ec0 : 0xffffff80008917d6
0xffffff8715a13f30 : 0xffffff800088c4aa
0xffffff8715a13f70 : 0xffffff80008926ac
0xffffff8715a13fb8 : 0xffffff80003c9017
can’t perform kext scan: no kext summary

By the way is it possible to replace a kext on El Capitan install USB like Yosemite... I couldn't find kexts on El Capitan USB Installer. I used "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" but still couldn't find system kexts. Thanks.

Motionworks, you are trying to boot the installer when you get that error, correct?

Have you tried this? If you have a real Mac, or another working hack with 10.11 working, trying installing to a hard drive hooked up there first.

Then once installed, install clover, drag in all the kexts using kext utility. Then move the drive to your 5960x.

waiting for WWDC as well... :)

before buying my new rig...

Asus X99-M WS

E5-2687W V3 (found it very cheap around 350USD) 10C/3.1GHZ

GTX 1080

M.2 SSD Samsung Pro 950

Lets hope we will have the needed support from Apple :)

waiting for WWDC as well... :)before buying my new rig...Asus X99-M WSE5-2687W V3 (found it very cheap around 350USD) 10C/3.1GHZGTX 1080M.2 SSD Samsung Pro 950Lets hope we will have the needed support from Apple :)

Word of warning, the WS has done compatibility issues with the uefi version of clover. You may end up having to use the legacy version.