20 Core - Xeon E5 2698 V4 - GTX 1080 - 56Tb raid 6

68 posts in this topic

Good day everybody!

this is my first post here, however i am running a hackintosh build following toneymac instructions 2 years ago and use my hackintosh with great succes over the last years.

I only use my hackintosh for 4K video editiing and grading in Davinci resolve as well as for Fotos in lightroom.

i build my hack into an old Supermicro server case, you can take a look at it following this link:

i was allways looking over to a X99 system, however i have never bought myself one since i considered the difference between my 4 core i7 and a 8 core first not worth the money and second there may have been only a 2x difference to the system i use at the moment. same is for the grafic card, that is currently allways at the limit but does the job with the right codecs etc... I was looking arround and found easy access to a 20 Core Xeon E5 2698 V4 processor that is currently on the way to me.

as a motherboard i decided to get a cheap Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI as Ram i went for a cheap G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) kit. The Ram is in the support list of the Motherboard so is the processor with the latest firmware update of the board. so i hope from the hardware side everything will be compatible with each other. i have a bunch of SSD's arround and if the sythem would finally work i would move my 16x4Tb raid to the Xeon system. i would use for the moment the GTX770 until the 1080 is reported to work and available.

Now...

How do you think are my chances im succeed with my build?

i know you must install some extensions to make the X99 i7 chips work... unfortunately i cant find much about xeon builds searching arround so maybe you can help me with my preparations. are the extensions different between Xeon and i7 on a X99 board. both chips are made of the same design (haswell) so i hope they are interchangeable.

Thank you for your ideas and strong support!

...Max

Edited by Allan
Link for Tonymac removed.

Hello, and Welcome to InsanelyMac. Very nice hack, congrats for your work.  :yes:

As you are new here, just FYI, we don't recommend/share Tonymac links, so i'll remove this link ok?  ^_^

VERY IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ! (ABOUT TONYMACX86 AND iATKOS M / Y)

Why InsanelyMac does not support tonymacx86

And if you want, post your pics about this incredible Hack here too  ;)

Welcome to the forum. As a note 2699 v4 wont pass the bootloader for now, but that can change.

I'd suggest few things, get a workstation grade motherboard, get ecc memory since you're doing video, and I personally wouldn't do 56TB raid inside of the hack. It will be cheaper on the long run to invest a bit more and build NAS(FreeNAS,NAS4Free or Napp-it) with raidz2 in 2 vdevs. You can stick a 10gbe in a hack and nas and get faster then ssd speeds(I'm pulling over 850MB/s on read/write on mine), with faster hdds you might actually saturate 10gbe line.

Hi Balamut, 

Is Xeon V3 CPU on X99 MB should work?

I also planing to build a new machine with Xeon CPU E5-2695V3 (14 cores) 

the MOBO will be EVGA X99 Micro 2 which have M.2 Slot, is M.2 SSD like the samsung 950 pro will work under OSX as a primary boot disk?

Thank you for your reply, and inputs.

you mentioned there is no boot loader available... does every CPU need its own boot loaders? is this a heavy lift thing or could i make my own as a unexperienced person (like putting some core counts in a text file or something)

Regarding the Raid, i fully agree that running 16x 4Tb disk with a Raid card in a hack is a insane idea... i have all data twice backed up, one in a FreeNAS server running ZFS and another one off site on 8Tb external Archive disks, so i don't care much if the raid says goodbye... but so far it is working absolutely rock solid... i would not move the Raid to the Xeon build unless its working stable and flawless.

are there some nice guides available for X99 builds or even better Xeon builds that you could recommend?

Thank you!

...Max

Xeon V3's do work, but some have trouble with PCI configuration during booting, which causes a hang.

V3 4-6 cores seem to have no problem booting in El Capitan.

V3 12 cores work in some circumstances.  A 2690V3 I've tested does not work in El Capitan, but other 12 cores have had success.

V3 14 cores+, no reports of successfully booting in El Capitan.

However, if you're willing to stick with Yosemite for a while, there are several guides you can follow that should work for any Xeon V3.

If you can wait, I'd hold out for June and see if there is an update to the Mac Pro.  If they do add support for the C612/X99 chipset this summer X99, Core i7, Xeon V3 and V4 should get much smoother for any CPU.

@Balamut, have you tested any Xeon V4 CPUs?  Where do they hang at the boot loader?  Presumably a patched kernel should get the V4's up and running just as well as the current V3's?

• Like 1

So what you say is that El Capitan is picky and has much more compatibility issues with X99 and Xeon Processors?

for what my software needs, (davinci resolve & Lightroom) Yosemite would work just fine. in fact my current hackintosh is running 10.10.4 i guess, my Macbook pro i have on 10.11.4 and i barely notice the differences between the two machines for what i do.

i guess this thread should be moved then to the 10.10 section to continue talking about options how to run my machine on 10.10?

• 2 weeks later...

Any special tricks to get it running?

Not really, just using clover's patch kernel cpu support thingy and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Speedstep isn't working, so I made a kext that requests highest ratio (turbo) from each core periodically. 

• 1 month later...

Here's my first run with dual E5-2683 v4.

z10pe-d16 ws / 128GB ecc ram

El Capitan

y45L.png

excellent 76K :thumbsup_anim:

Not really, just using clover's patch kernel cpu support thingy and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Speedstep isn't working, so I made a kext that requests highest ratio (turbo) from each core periodically. 

Hi okrasit,

Which clover patch you used for CPU support?

Have you used FakeCPUID? which one?

my CPU is 2670 V3 I dont know which fakecpuid i should put...

Can you please advise me?

Thanks

Hi okrasit,

Which clover patch you used for CPU support?

Have you used FakeCPUID? which one?

my CPU is 2670 V3 I dont know which fakecpuid i should put...

Can you please advise me?

Thanks

For E5 v3, there's no need for FakeCPUID nor clover patches.

What kind of problem do you have?

E5 v4 needs kernel cpu support patch, nothing else.

Well..my bluetooth having problems...causing Kpanic every time i use Apple IOB kexts...when removing them no problems...my geek bench score is around 29000 I think its OK..(?)

Which clover patch do you mean? maybe i need to remove it...

I remove the voodooTSC kext already

Thanks

I get the same bluetooth panic if I disconnect my usb-bt module (taken from an iMac). 

In case you're having inconsistent performance, you have to patch your xcpm (within kernel).

hexedit your kernel and find&replace:

89d8c1e008b99901
b800ff0000b99901

4489f8c1e008b99901
90b800ff0000b99901

4489e8c1e008b99901
90b800ff0000b99901

I get the same bluetooth panic if I disconnect my usb-bt module (taken from an iMac). 

In case you're having inconsistent performance, you have to patch your xcpm (within kernel).

hexedit your kernel and find&replace:

89d8c1e008b99901
b800ff0000b99901

4489f8c1e008b99901
90b800ff0000b99901

4489e8c1e008b99901
90b800ff0000b99901

thanks!

Can you be more specific i don't have a clue on how to do it...:)

Yes, sadly clover does only kext patching (or does it, anyone?), so it has to be done "manually".

The kernel resides in /System/Library/Kernels/kernel. You should make a backup copy of it first. Download any hexeditor and open the kernel with it. Search & replace all indices of 89d8c1e008b99901 with b800ff0000b99901. Do it for all 3 above and you're golden.  :hysterical:

Yes, sadly clover does only kext patching (or does it, anyone?), so it has to be done "manually".

The kernel resides in /System/Library/Kernels/kernel. You should make a backup copy of it first. Download any hexeditor and open the kernel with it. Search & replace all indices of 89d8c1e008b99901 with b800ff0000b99901. Do it for all 3 and you're golden.  :hysterical:

Thanks!

I will try it and hopefully ill be golden...