Shaneee's AMD USB Fix

Shaneee

24 posts in this topic

Edit: You are better off using Spakk's USB Fix. I've left mine here in the spoiler if you still want to try it.

Spakk's fix:- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/521-usb-fix-for-el-capitan/

This package is not to replace any other out there. It is just a different attempt to fix USB.

This should fix the mouse not working on install screen and more. If you've installed a different USB Fix and it didn't work please restore all previous kexts. If you don't have a backup of them I've provided Vanilla USB.zip below.

Please install IOUSBHostFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ using Kext Wizard then repair the permissions as seen below.

CxJAMKc.png

Replace your SMBios.plist within the Extra folder and boot. If you use Clover please upload your config.plist so I can adjust the SMBios.

Vanilla USB,
https://mega.nz/#!T0IG3Z7C!wa8BdJCo-CnGbNvlGcXbyAks9H6xzUIr0ZH9YqzcWrY

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you this worked for my system. I tried both ways and after with clover just did a copy paste into the plist. Not all ports are working with this fix or the usb v3 fix, but it is a start so that I can at least edit my dsdt and try to get them working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used this kext, the new v3, but I am getting 'still waiting for root device' - am I missing something? Used kext wizard to install kext and then fixed permission too. Also one point, when I checked the file IOUSBHostFamily.kext on the /System/Library/Extensions directory, there is a green dot before the file name. I am confused if fix permission worked or not. Any help?

I used this kext, the new v3, but I am getting 'still waiting for root device' - am I missing something? Used kext wizard to install kext and then fixed permission too. Also one point, when I checked the file IOUSBHostFamily.kext on the /System/Library/Extensions directory, there is a green dot before the file name. I am confused if fix permission worked or not. Any help?

The green dot is just a tag on the file nothing to worry about. Did you also use the SMBios? Try using the USBBusFix=Yes bootflag.

• Like 1

Don't get confused to much, the green dot is just a mark, u can mark any items u want in different colors. That has nothing todo with "wrong" permissions

The green dot is just a tag on the file nothing to worry about. Did you also use the SMBios? Try using the USBBusFix=Yes bootflag.

Okay I tried using the bootflag and yeah used the SMBios overwriting the old one, but still stuck to still waiting for root device. One thing to point - when I use the vanilla IOUSBHostFamily.kext (that comes by default from the El Capitan InstallESD.dmg) I don't have any issue with mouse, only the keyboard does not work at all on the installer. So I need a fixes for the keyboard. I am on AMD machine (Phenom 2 x6 1090t, gigabyte ga-890fxa-ud5 v2.1 mobo)

Okay I tried using the bootflag and yeah used the SMBios overwriting the old one, but still stuck to still waiting for root device. One thing to point - when I use the vanilla IOUSBHostFamily.kext (that comes by default from the El Capitan InstallESD.dmg) I don't have any issue with mouse, only the keyboard does not work at all on the installer. So I need a fixes for the keyboard. I am on AMD machine (Phenom 2 x6 1090t, gigabyte ga-890fxa-ud5 v2.1 mobo)

Revert back to the original IOUSBHostFamily.kext then and try this, https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-usb-inject-all/downloads/RehabMan-USBInjectAll-2016-0423.zip

• Like 1

where will apply this new kext - at /Extra or /System/Library/Extension?

After doing some testing with that kext it won't work Try this one. Install it to Extra/Extensions if you have other kexts there otherwise use S/L/E https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2015-1215.zip

• Like 1

After doing some testing with that kext it won't work Try this one. Install it to Extra/Extensions if you have other kexts there otherwise use S/L/E https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads/RehabMan-Generic-USB3-2015-1215.zip

Okay I was able to solve the "Still waiting for root device" , but the old problem is still there, usb mouse working but usb keyboard not on install screen. I have both /Extra/Extensions and /S/L/E, however I installed the RehabMan Generic on /S/L/E and did the permission repair too. Also tried with the flag USBBusFix=Yes. Any other way around? It is kind of really strange that one USB device works and other does not.

Okay I was able to solve the "Still waiting for root device" , but the old problem is still there, usb mouse working but usb keyboard not on install screen. I have both /Extra/Extensions and /S/L/E, however I installed the RehabMan Generic on /S/L/E and did the permission repair too. Also tried with the flag USBBusFix=Yes. Any other way around? It is kind of really strange that one USB device works and other does not.

Strange that your mouse works but keyboard doesn't. Normally it's the other way around. 

Have you tried the keyboard in other USB ports? And if you have a PS2 port and PS2 keyboard that could work for the install if you add the correct kexts.

• Like 1

Strange that your mouse works but keyboard doesn't. Normally it's the other way around. 

Have you tried the keyboard in other USB ports? And if you have a PS2 port and PS2 keyboard that could work for the install if you add the correct kexts.

okay tried plugging the keyboard on on another USB port but nothing worked, even tried on vmware workstation, the same situation, mouse working but keyboard not.

Secondly, I have then tried on another AMD machine, got the following error

IMG_20160629_034143.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/09fiz96iis8s5bo/IMG_20160629_034143.jpg?dl=0

it was just coming constantly like a loop, never ending message

So I reboot the machine using the reset button, and found that the machine's BIOS setting is back to stock, whatever settings I had on the bios are gone and it is now in a stock state.

I had to re-configure the bios again to boot the machine's Windows properly, set the time on bios and other required settings.

I was able to load the keyboard somehow, but now stuck at '16 minutes remaining' with the below error log on installation:

osx.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01vu5cxj1zac30i/osx.JPG?dl=0

this error is in a loop, only the value in NSCFCharacterSet: is changing, and no progress with the installer for a long time.

And any update on how to fix this error https://www.dropbox.com/s/09fiz96iis8s5bo/IMG_20160629_034143.jpg?dl=0or I shall use the Spakks Fix to solve it?

That's a common issue. I even get it on my machine but it isn't stuck. Just give it some time. Go have a cup of coffee or watch some tv while it installs.

are you sure it is installing? I have tried waiting for more than an hour but still remained on the 16 minutes remaining. I will do the setup again now and keep it like that for a longer time. Thanks for all the advice.

Yeah it will be. I'm sure it just because of the Fixes not giving full support in the installer so the USB speeds are lower than normal. If you could put the installer on an internal HDD it would be quicker I suppose.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it will be. I'm sure it just because of the Fixes not giving full support in the installer so the USB speeds are lower than normal. If you could put the installer on an internal HDD it would be quicker I suppose.

I need a new help, I am trying to install the El Capitan on Vmware ESXi. I have modified the ESXi with the latest unlocker. Now I need a installer since USB pass-through is not working. Can you please tell me if I convert the InstallESD.dmg to iso and it will be sufficient? Can you point me to some link to create a a custom ISO with any required kext to put. I saw your video on youtube to create ISO where you used some extra kexts, how can I do that with ISO creation as well as patching with chameleon/chimera or any other bootloader?

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/19/2020 at 8:59 PM, amitmula said:

Hey Shanee, trying hard to boot from El Capitan USB, the mouse is dead, the link you shared above is giving 404, can you help with a mirror/new link for Spakks USB Fix ?

do not write the same question / message everywhere, please write only once, that should be completely sufficient.

here the link: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312080-el-capitan-10114-on-amd-installing-problems/?do=findComment&comment=2738033