Installing a El Capitan on Dell Alienware 15r2 - Skylake system

124 posts in this topic

Yes but you know it is your own config.plist, clover... you ask me to try again, I did 

doesn't change anything.

Yeah sorry if i repeated myself, i'm just out of ideas lol.  To me it doesn't make sense.

I am starting to think at this point that the best would be to create a full description of the patches performed.  Then everyone will be able to extract his own ACPI tables and do the stuff himself

Yeah sorry if i repeated myself, i'm just out of ideas lol.  To me it doesn't make sense.

I am starting to think at this point that the best would be to create a full description of the patches performed.  Then everyone will be able to extract his own ACPI tables and do the stuff himself

This is what I was thinking but when I do a dsl backup of my Alienware with clover-f4 and try to add some patch to try, it fail a compile 

reason why I take yours or some else and try to modify just a few part. 

But I think yes the best it is to share the patches your add on your DSDT/SSDT etc... and it would be more easier.

What I don't understand is that my Alienware is 100% like yours, just the 4K panel, I doubt the problem come from this.

Also same hdd, just not the same ssd.

Just wondering if you can make a GFX0 version of the same files you shared, check if when you compile something happen.

and check if there is a problem.

This is what I was thinking but when I do a dsl backup of my Alienware with clover-f4 and try to add some patch to try, it fail a compile 

reason why I take yours or some else and try to modify just a few part. 

But I think yes the best it is to share the patches your add on your DSDT/SSDT etc... and it would be more easier.

What I don't understand is that my Alienware is 100% like yours, just the 4K panel, I doubt the problem come from this.

Also same hdd, just not the same ssd.

In fact i highly suspect the 4K display to be the cause, i am suspecting the connector for the 4K display to be inserted differently in the DSDT, and the fact that it is related to the graphics is pushing more towards this path.  I will create a new thread for Sierra (since this one is for El Capitan) but the patches will be exactly the same.

But before that, i need to experiment a little bit with the ACPI tables extracted from Clover+F4. The ones i am using now were extracted from Linux.

Surprisingly, i get a maximum of 15 ACPI tables from Linux (other than the UEFI, FADT, etc. There are SSDTs from 1 to 14 + DSDT), whereas when extracting them from Clover, i get 18 tables (Again other than the UEFI tables, i have SSDTs from 0 to 16 + DSDT).

In fact i highly suspect the 4K display to be the cause, i am suspecting the connector for the 4K display to be inserted differently in the DSDT, and the fact that it is related to the graphics is pushing more towards this path.  I will create a new thread for Sierra (since this one is for El Capitan) but the patches will be exactly the same.

But before that, i need to experiment a little bit with the ACPI tables extracted from Clover+F4. The ones i am using now were extracted from Linux.

Surprisingly, i get a maximum of 15 ACPI tables from Linux (other than the UEFI, FADT, etc. There are SSDTs from 1 to 14 + DSDT), whereas when extracting them from Clover, i get 18 tables (Again other than the UEFI tables, i have SSDTs from 0 to 16 + DSDT).

Well, it is weird if this is caused by the 4K. Really weird.

Yes we should create a Sierra thread because this one should be for El Capitan haha.

Sorry I mean aml not dsl, aml from clover+F4. 

This is all what I have (check pic)

Already thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317919-alienware-15r2-with-macos-sierra-10121/

post-1222105-0-79814400-1480037537_thumb.png

Ok Slayer2333 I found a few problems on your EFI/Kexts previously shared, mostly the DSDT/SSDT.

• You use _T_0 instead of T_0 (not sure if this is a typo)
  • Also added a BUS0 
  • GFX0 IMEI IGPU
  • HECI became IMEI

This is so far all the modification you have made on this DSDT that seem different than the one from the one from October (that work)

Maybe the main problem is the typo part. 

Ok Slayer2333 I found a few problems on your EFI/Kexts previously shared, mostly the DSDT/SSDT.

• You use _T_0 instead of T_0 (not sure if this is a typo)
  • Also added a BUS0 
  • GFX0 IMEI IGPU
  • HECI became IMEI

This is so far all the modification you have made on this DSDT that seem different than the one from the one from October (that work)

Maybe the main problem is the typo part. 

Hi,

Try these files instead and let me know how it goes:

-The ACPI tables are extracted from Clover this time

-No renaming (GFX0 or IGPU)

-All patches applied to the DSDT

-Again generate your own serials

Using _T_x instead of T_x won't have any impact on OS X as far as i know.

I also added a custom USBInjectAll kext.  This is the only new kext, using it along with the other ones posted in my last post.

Note: Inject Intel is not activated in the config.plist .  Activate it if you need it.

These files are only for post install, not for the installer.

EFI.zip

USBInjectAll.kext.zip

Hi,

Try these files instead and let me know how it goes:

-The ACPI tables are extracted from Clover this time

-No renaming (GFX0 or IGPU)

-All patches applied to the DSDT

-Again generate your own serials

Using _T_x instead of T_x won't have any impact on OS X as far as i know.

I also added a custom USBInjectAll kext.  This is the only new kext, using it along with the other ones posted in my last post.

Note: Inject Intel is not activated in the config.plist .  Activate it if you need it.

These files are only for post install, not for the installer.

attachicon.gifEFI.zip

attachicon.gifUSBInjectAll.kext.zip

Not sure what's wrong but it happen again. 

My own ACPI extracted the DSDT without patch (nanoseconds/remote wake, like yours)

Only the ACPI from back to October that you share on the page I previously mentioned, it is the only one that work.

With the old EFI and working only on this one, I was able to achieve even better results than before

I have all the USB 3.0 port working I need to patch the DSDT

by adding this patch (see picture) in the config.plist.

Ok with my full modified EFI + 1.3.9 + Sierra 10.12 (didn't try 10.12.1 or 10.12.2 beta)

Work : 

4K Panel

Audio Speaker/Also HDMI (with HDMI Audio Patch)

Keyboard/Trackpad (no double tap on trackpad)

GTX 980M (Full Hardware Acceleration only for CUDA/Metal compatible app, still working on forcing the usage of this one in OGL/OCL)

seem to work better with Inject NVIDIA not sure why

HD530 (Full Hardware Acceleration)

All USB 3.0 Ports (this patch picture + USBInjectAll, Also Inject/Fix Own/HighCurrent)

Thunderbolt 3 

Ethernet 

So far it seem that GA can work but I don't have this one yet to be sure, I can see the port.

Brightness work using system preferences/display (toggle bar) same for Audi

(but it is weird that I can't not control brightness nor audio from the keyboard using FN+F4/F5/F9/F10)

Sleep/Wake (but It seem that I touch something that now it doesn't sleep well, need to check to be sure)

Doesn't work:

Card Reader (I may find a way, working on it)

Camera (I don't care)

Wifi (didn't even try to do anything for it, I don't need)

Still have the left corner top glitch

Not sure part :

Something is weird with Quicktime or iTunes... can't read any video or anything related

I have a few errors, not sure why.

Sometime the AppleHDA is not detected, need to reboot or reinject to see this one back

despite reset HDA

post-1222105-0-23268200-1480278679_thumb.png

Here's my efi but it is not finalised yet, try at your risk haha, it should work with every Alienware similar to mine.

Now like I said I couldn't control the brightness/Sound with the keyboard, no wifi, no card reader. 

There the EFI, simply mount the EFI partition and copy past

Inject all the kexts to S/L/E (with Kext Utility for example)

4K command for 4K Panel

For Install

Add nv_disable=1 and use fakeid intel 0x12345678 

EFI + Kexts + 4K command.zip

Here's my efi but it is not finalised yet, try at your risk haha, it should work with every Alienware similar to mine.

Now like I said I couldn't control the brightness/Sound with the keyboard, no wifi, no card reader. 

There the EFI, simply mount the EFI partition and copy past

Inject all the kexts to S/L/E (with Kext Utility for example)

4K command for 4K Panel

For Install

Add nv_disable=1 and use fakeid intel 0x12345678 

I've received KP:

https://s18.postimg.org/cx9b5ejjd/unnamed_1.jpg

why?

Ah, I've only putted kext with kext wizard and EFI folder.

the 4K command I've already done.

edit: I've removed IntelBacklight, the KP remain with IOPPF: XCPM Mode

Now, hardware is configured:

- SSD with Mac os sierra 

- M.2 with windows 10 pro

Oprom disabled and V/T direct disabled.

F

Hi people,

I finally installed EFI's Skyblading, but you don't warned to everybody that it need to reaload SMBIOS.

So, in clover configurator, you've to in SMBIOS reload Macbook pro 11,1 serial.

It work:

- All USB 3.0

- 4K Panel

- nvidia 980 with 8Gb (finally!!! now I'm already working with Resolve Davinci! :D)

- Ethernet Realtek (finally finally...)

- Camera webcam

- Sleep&WakeUP

- Trackpad and multigesture work perfectly (so trackpad pref pane)

- Nvme (I'm booting to my SSD with sata, for security)

- Reboot (maybe it's so slow...but ok)

- Shotdown

- WIFI with D-Link DWA-131 rev E1, it work perfectly.

- control to volume - uninstalled voodooHDA and installed this kext AppleHDA - it work

Now don't work:

- USB-C (the usb-c it work just at boot with attached device) and Thunderbolt 3.0

-Card Reader

Note: you've to use voodooPS2Controller 'cause it let work perfectly with your trackpad with multgesture (fingers...) but I'm working about the buttons sovrimpressed.

We're near to finish! To make Alienware a great "macbook pro" super-powerfull.

EDIT:

I tried to install PS2 smart touch, don't work the multigesture on trackpad (installed both in clover efi and S/L/E)

F

Edited by DriveTheOne

Everyone can help me about:

- Mapping keyboard with voodooPS2controller (I've read the instruction, isn't easy and I need help)

- What do you have about sound? VoodooHDA 2.8.8 or AppleHDA? I don't understand the difference, and maybe this cause problem about to affect sound with button (I can see the icon of volume but can't affect sound really)

- thunderbolt 3?

EDIT:

I'm stupid, I've update a new version of voodooPS2controller and it work about brightness over impressed on volume. :D

Thanks,

F

For audio is resolved:

Unistall VoodooHDA (follow guide searching on google "voodoohda 2.8.8 uninstall"

then install with kext wizard the attached file.

Then, I've problem with boot with thunderbolt:

If attach Startech TB3 to TB2 then Blackmagic mini monitor, will be stuck at boot (not in bios, just only loading win logo and mac logo.

I've tried with this laptop to another port of thunderbolt (to mac mini, to have thunderbolt bridge network) in windows work perfeclty but in mac doesn't work.

Meanwhile for usb-C, it work just only if attached device BEFORE boot. How to resolve it?

Can you give me any advices?

Frank

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi people,

After few days, I tested my laptop for my jobs, (I remember you that I'm a director of photography and I'm working like Colorist (color correction for video) and Data Manager (creating lut while copying from a external drive to external drive with safe's MD5 (using shotput pro).

I've only these problems:

Audio:

I've recenlty installed appleHDA.kext (see #117 post) , it work sometime and don't work sometimes, why??

USB-C - with AppleUSBXHCIPCI (ID: 0x15b5 of Intel)

The USB-C it work with after boot witch connected USB key system. Without reboot I can see a light led on USB key but doesn't work -> How can I resolve it?

Oh, at the bar, I see an icon like a graphic card, and I see “Controller USB” (not clickable) and “Deactivate Card” selectable.

Thunderbolt:

- work like up, so after boot will work: but we have some problem:

• after boot, after one minute or two min all system will be stuck so I've to reboot.
  • At the boot, if remove the device , I will have a KP
  • I see only "express card" and "express card sata" at system info to PCI page
  • At the top bar I see an icon like graphic card and I see:
  •     "Controller sata" not clickable
  •     "Deactivate card"
  •     "Base system device" not clickable
  •     "Deactivate card"

I made some experiments with USB-C:

• I disconnected usb-key and deactivated card with OSX, the port USB-c don’t work until reboot

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is external drive with thunderbolt 3 connected (orange icon). but after 10 or 15sec the system will be stuck. :(

Schermata_2017_01_03_alle_16_32_27.png

Did you solve your problem with the USB-C port ?

I purchased a USB-c to HDMI/USB-C/USB3 adapter and i see the following behavior:

-If the port is used for display out it works without problems (even if connected after boot)

-If the port is used for an external drive (e.g. USB3 hard drive) it only works if connected before boot.  But i don't have any KP problems when disconnecting on Sierra

-I determined that in order for the system to boot properly (without the slow progress bar at boot) i have to deselect DromOem for the SSDTs (but i have to keep xh_rvp10 dropped or there will be KP at boot caused by the USBs).

Hope it helps.

Yeah looks like HD530 implementation is better in windows than in OSX.  Thanks though.

• 10 months later...