Yosemite Install tale of Woe

9 posts in this topic

My config:

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 V3 2.4GHz 6-Core Processor
Memory: 64GB Black Diamond ECC DDR4 (4x16GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte MD70-HB1 EATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Storage: Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2207 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T8E 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

I've been trying to install Yosemite on this for a couple of days, and it keeps hanging at "Missing Bluetooth Controller Tranport!"  From what I've read, this is usually a video card issue.  After hours of methodically trying different boot options & variations on things, this is where I'm at:

• I have deleted every NVDA, GeForce, and Intel*Graphics kext on the installer
  • I have deleted every other AMD/ATI kext & only kept AMD7000Controller, AMDFramebuffer, and AMDSupport kexts
  • boot flags: -v npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Ikura
  • note, nv_disable=1 makes it hang at [PCI Configuration Begin]

But so far, no joy.  I *did* manage to get Mavericks to install on this machine, but Mavericks doesn't have support for the wireless card.  So, here we are trying to get Yosemite to work.

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated. Many Thanks!

As far as I know C612 got the core restriction. Though some say that apple stopped using core restrictions after 10.11.3, so try El Capitan if  you can. 

And why would you delete GFX kexts? That is just beyond me... :frantics: 

The general rule of thumb for every OS I've worked with has always been "No sense having kernel extensions loaded for devices which will never be attached to the system."  Removing the NVidia kexts resolved a "permanent beachball" type hang on the Mavericks install, so it seems reasonable to get rid of them here. 

What does "C612 got the core restriction" mean?

The general rule of thumb for every OS I've worked with has always been "No sense having kernel extensions loaded for devices which will never be attached to the system."  Removing the NVidia kexts resolved a "permanent beachball" type hang on the Mavericks install, so it seems reasonable to get rid of them here. 

What does "C612 got the core restriction" mean?

Sure, remove kexts that will give your GFX support. That is the rule of thumb? 

After Yosemite Apple added some core restriction, I might be wrong. However, they fixed this in 10.11.3 according to RampageDev. 

Sure, remove kexts that will give your GFX support. 

Please explain how NVidia code loaded in the kernel provides graphics support to an AMD card? As I said earlier,

• Removing the NVidia kexts solved a problem in my mavericks install on this exact hardware.
  • The behavior in the Yosemite installer is exactly the same both with and without the NVidia kexts.

Unless there's specific benefit in having kernel extensions for non-existent devices loaded, I'm inclined to say it's a non-issue. Lets not focus on it.

I added "cpus=1" to the boot flags & the behavior is the same.

Are you aware of specific issues & solutions that cause the installer to hang at the point that it displays the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" message?

Please explain how NVidia code loaded in the kernel provides graphics support to an AMD card? As I said earlier,

• Removing the NVidia kexts solved a problem in my mavericks install on this exact hardware.
  • The behavior in the Yosemite installer is exactly the same both with and without the NVidia kexts.

Unless there's specific benefit in having kernel extensions for non-existent devices loaded, I'm inclined to say it's a non-issue. Lets not focus on it.

I added "cpus=1" to the boot flags & the behavior is the same.

Are you aware of specific issues & solutions that cause the installer to hang at the point that it displays the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" message?

Either way, on next update kexts will be back. 

Assuming you're using clover, did you add correct FBName? 

If you had mavericks on it, then I don't see how it makes yosemite installation so difficult for you. 

I will take that as a "No", you are not aware of specific issues & solutions that cause the installer to hang at the point that it displays the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" message.  Thank you for your input.

I will take that as a "No", you are not aware of specific issues & solutions that cause the installer to hang at the point that it displays the "Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport" message.  Thank you for your input.

Rudeness will get you nowhere. 

I've come across that issue many times, and what I did was to read to solve it. Perhaps you should do the same. Good luck, and you're also mixing boot args from different boot loaders, if you didn't know that. 

Physician, heal thyself ;)

I would love to read more on the causes & solutions to this issue. Do you have a pointer to any information, or any actual knowledge you can share? I'd be most appreciative.  

If on the other hand you're only going to continue making vague allegations that you know something without actually sharing anything, I'm content to wait for someone knowledgeable to chime in.

Thank you & much appreciated