(Quickly) Change startup disk on next boot only under Clover

1 post in this topic

I'm looking for a quick/easy way to reboot my computer into Windows from OS X. I do not want to permanently change the default startup OS. I cannot use the Clover boot menu because I use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

On a real Mac, you can change the startup disk via a quick terminal command:

/usr/sbin/bless -mount /Volumes/BOOTCAMP -setBoot  --nextonly

Contrary to popular belief, this command works perfectly find under El Capitan, provided SIP is disabled. Alongside an Applescript app or an automator service, you can use this method to make booting into Windows as simple as entering a key command.

This command does not, however, appear to work under Clover.

The only method I've found that works under Clover is:

System Preferences -> Startup Disk -> Lock Icon -> "Bootcamp" -> Restart -> Confirm.

That's already a lot of clicks, but it's become even worse since I began using Paragon NTFS. Drive's using Paragon's drivers won't show up in the startup disk menu, so the software needs to be disabled first. Thus, the process becomes:

System Preferences -> Paragon Preference Pane -> Disable Paragon NTFS -> Unmount Bootcamp drive -> Mount Bootcamp drive -> Return to System Preferences Main Menu ->  Startup Disk -> Lock Icon -> "Bootcamp" -> Restart -> Confirm

The Paragon preference pane has it's own option for changing the startup disk to get around Apple's limitation, but like the Bless command, this option does not seem to work under Clover.

Suffice to say, booting into Windows has become quite annoying. Surely there's a better method? Perhaps a terminal command to quickly set whatever nvram variable is being changed by the startup disk preference pane? Thank you!