Triple Boot (Windows 10, Ubuntu 16.04, El Capitan 10.11.4 )

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I'm planning on also doing a triple boot hackintosh with a Skylake system. 

I want to install the OSs on a 512 M.2 NVMe SSD. Any suggestions as to the order of install? I know people have said that order doesn't matter but what order do you guys think would be the easiest? Right now I'm thinking the order would be Windows 10, Ubuntu, El Capitan. 

Additionally what partition table should I use? Also, I think I should make the 3 partitions for the OSs before installing with an additional partition for swap/grub or something of the sort to manage the booting up (4 total partitions). Thoughts?

All this SOs are compatible and can use GPT mode, i guess that your Motherboard uses UEFI right?

You need pay attention when you install Ubuntu, you'll need install GRUB in Ubuntu partition, not in whole HDD.

I have 8GB of RAM, and IMHO, is not necessary create an partition for Swap.

All this SOs are compatible and can use GPT mode, i guess that your Motherboard uses UEFI right?

You need pay attention when you install Ubuntu, you'll need install GRUB in Ubuntu partition, not in whole HDD.

I have 8GB of RAM, and IMHO, is not necessary create an partition for Swap.

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah, I was also thinking GPT for all them as well but I wasn't sure.

Yes I have a UEFI motherboard, it is the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX motherboard.

Thanks for the tip on Ubuntu! I will definitely install GRUB on that partition.

For Swap, I didn't know the amount of RAM is important. My computer has 32 GB of RAM so I'm guessing I won't need a Swap?

If you want can use hibernation the swap size should be at least equal to the size of the RAM. If you can not use hibernation with 8 GB and more, there is no need to create a swap partition.

• 2 weeks later...