Which NVIDIA GTX 970 works with El Capitan 10.11.4?

stinga11

20 posts in this topic

I want to upgrade my PNY GTX 780. I want to buy a 970 but the last week my friend gave me a Gigabyte GTX 970 and doesn't works with el capitan 10.11.4 My build is a X79 platform.

Make sure that you're booting with nvda_drv=1 and that you have the correct Web Drivers installed for your build of Mac OS X (not your version, but the actual build). Also make sure that nv_disable=1 hasn't crept into your config.

Hope I could help,

- Matt

Guys thank you, But I've done everything. Believe me when I say that the video card I had was not compatible with Mac. I need someone who has a Nvidia GTX 970 running in 10.11.4 and tell me which model he uses.

I use EVGA and it works flawlessly after agdpfix with mp 6,1 sys def in 10.11.4

What would happen when you tried to boot with the Gigabyte card? Log errors?

The monitor turn off but I did the agdpfix and tried with other definition iMac14,2 iMac13,2 iMac12,2 MacPro3,1. I tried with all output and nothing.

Thanks,

Once you're at desktop you can try to uninstall Nvidia web driver, change back to mp 6,1 sys def, reboot with nv_disable=1, reinstall correct Nvidia web driver then reboot once more with nv_disable=1, reapply agdpfix then reboot finally with nvda_drv=1  -f -v in that order let us know if it works! 

Once you're at desktop you can try to uninstall Nvidia web driver, change back to mp 6,1 sys def, reboot with nv_disable=1, reinstall correct Nvidia web driver then reboot once more with nv_disable=1, reapply agdpfix then reboot finally with nvda_drv=1  -f -v in that order let us know if it works! 

Yes I did. I tried with a clean installation too and anything works. I think it's like Dwarfy says, the problem is that the Gigabyte card of my friend does not use the reference PCB.

Dwarfy I think is right too was just a thought you could try. The EVGA does work though if you want to go with it. Good luck on your upgrade!

Thanks

I've got the GTX 970, and I have found instability in some of the Adobe apps that use the GPU extensively. Both Photoshop and Lightroom can generate a complete crash of the OS, using either the Apple or nVidia Web drivers. Turning off the GPU accelerator does not address the crash completely. There's clearly a buffer overflow or some other deep nasty going on, but I'm not a kernel developer, so I can't (yet!) determine where the issue actually resides. This issue is currently causing some major issues, and it's something I've got to figure out. BTW--both 10.10 and 10.11 exhibit the issue. So, YMMV.

• Like 1

I've got the GTX 970, and I have found instability in some of the Adobe apps that use the GPU extensively. Both Photoshop and Lightroom can generate a complete crash of the OS, using either the Apple or nVidia Web drivers. Turning off the GPU accelerator does not address the crash completely. There's clearly a buffer overflow or some other deep nasty going on, but I'm not a kernel developer, so I can't (yet!) determine where the issue actually resides. This issue is currently causing some major issues, and it's something I've got to figure out. BTW--both 10.10 and 10.11 exhibit the issue. So, YMMV.

Thank you, that is nice to know. Some say AMD cards work better with OS X, because apple uses it more.