Atheros wireless driver OS X 10.11/12 for unsupported cards

jalavoui

631 posts in this topic

With the v4 it doesn't find any network. I think that that high CPU usage is a cause of the continued searching of new networks when the Wi-Fi is already connected to some network

Interesting!  Thanks for the feedback.  You can give v5 a try to see if it makes any difference.

@chunnann it's normal that the speed of internet it's only 2mb~ average and constantly drops?

Unfortunately, like AR9485, I still haven't figured out why TX Rate is limited to 11Mbps maximum yet...

BTW, just out of curiosity, your saying "constantly drops" means "speed drops" or "connection drops"??

Unfortunately, like AR9485, I still haven't figured out why TX Rate is limited to 11Mbps maximum yet...

BTW, just out of curiosity, your saying "constantly drops" means "speed drops" or "connection drops"??

Speed & Connection Drops. (The Connection to the Wireless Network isn't lost, but multiple times the connection goes really slow and stops.. Many times just it's connected on the network and cannot use the Internet.

In other words, many networks and many times it is connected on wifi, but doesn't have Internet, it's really really really slow, cannot even sync Mail.

Also Bluetooth isn't working. Also on v8, when I click turn off wireless, need click a second time. Clicking only one time it just disconnects from the network and goes on a "Trying to connect loop"

I've tried the v5 but it is the same of v4. For now I'm staying with the v1. The v2 and v3 costume too much CPU, I think the problem it maybe the kernel that is watching for some error in the hardware (the WiFi) because of some mismatch I think. But it is strange that doesn't do that with the v1.

Here are patches in the Clover KextsToPatch format...  (Please use it with the original AirPortAtheros40 and AddDTGP_0001 & FixAirport_4000 enabled)

AR946X:  No 5GHz support...

AR9485 & AR9565:  Tx Rate is limited to 11Mbps maximum...

----------

10.11.x start

10.12.x start

___ath_attach

_ar9300ReadRevisions

_ar9300RxGainIndexGet

_ar9300TxGainIndexGet

_ar9300FillCapabilityInfo (Unknown Locale)

_ar9300EepromRestoreInternal (AR9485 only)

_ar9300Reset (AR946X only)

_ar9330Common_mac_osprey2_0

_ar9330Modes_osprey2_0_mac_postamble

_ar9330Common_osprey2_0

_ar9330Modes_osprey2_0_BB_postamble

_ar9330Common_rx_gain_osprey2_0

_ar9330Modes_tx_gain_osprey2_0

=====

• Like 1

we need to use the original AirPortAtheros40 on the Plugins of IO80211Family driver from Apple or do we need to use your version (v5 or v4 etc)?

EDIT: I'm trying with your v5 and the AR946X KextsToPatch (of course I do not have enabled the 10.11 patch because I've Sierra) and I've also used the FakeWiFI ID from the plist. For now it seems pretty stable and the CPU consumption is very low. Do you need that I test with the precedent version (v4, v3 etc) and this KextsToPatch? Now I need to test with the App Store because with the precedent versions(and no KextsToPatch or FakeWiFi ID) the download would crash without any reason after some times with an error on the connection. With the original AirPortAtheros40 from Apple it doesn't work.

we need to use the original AirPortAtheros40 on the Plugins of IO80211Family driver from Apple or do we need to use your version (v5 or v4 etc)?

EDIT: I'm trying with your v5 and the AR946X KextsToPatch (of course I do not have enabled the 10.11 patch because I've Sierra) and I've also used the FakeWiFI ID from the plist. For now it seems pretty stable and the CPU consumption is very low. Do you need that I test with the precedent version (v4, v3 etc) and this KextsToPatch? Now I need to test with the App Store because with the precedent versions(and no KextsToPatch or FakeWiFi ID) the download would crash without any reason after some times with an error on the connection. With the original AirPortAtheros40 from Apple it doesn't work.

Hello, please use KextstoPatch with the original AirPortAtheros40...

With the original it doesn't work. No hardware is detected.

Hello, make usre FixAirport_4000 under DSDT is on...  or FakeID WIFI won't work...

In addition, you might also need to rebuild the cache...

EDIT:  I have uploaded a new one with FixAirport_4000 in it ...

I've tried with FixAirport_4000 enable, the FakeID WiFi 0x0030168C, the original AirPortAtheros40 from Apple and the patches applied, the result is a kernel panic. I've already tried to drop my two SSDT (one for disable my second GPU and the other one to load the configuration of the Mac from X86PlatformPlugin) but I got always the same kernel panic. The screen that you see here is without the drop but with the drop is the same. 

IMG_20170501_112312.jpg

@NB96,

Oops...  It seems to crash before AirPortAtheros40 is loaded.  I don't know what might cause KP.  Maybe check Clover or ACPI related settings?

You can try FixAirport_4000 disabled along with everything else to see if KP goes away.  If so, check Clover or ACPI related settings...

I have the DSDT with no reference to a WiFi and then on the ACPI I have patches for the graphics card. If I disable the FakeWiFi ID, use your patches in the KextsToPatch and use your v5 the wifi works. If I disable the KextToPatch with the v5 I cannot find wifi hotspots. If I use the original driver from Apple with your patches and fake wifi I have kernel panics; without fake wifi the os doesn't find any hardware of the wifi (of course). I cannot drop my DSDT otherwise my entire system cannot startup (I have a big amount of patches for backlight, trackpad etc, but nothing to do with wifi etc). I don't know but with the v5 and patches the wifi goes very well.

EDIT: I found a solution. I have used only your KextToPatch patches (10.12.x start, and the others for AR946X) opened the original AirPortAtheros40 and changed in the IONameMatch from pci168c,30 to pci168c,34. No FakeID wifi etc, only your KextToPatch and this little trick in the original AirPortAtheros40 from Apple. So technically the driver is the original one only changed in the lines of the code where it is needed (with your KextToPatch).

EDIT2: The only difference is the locale setted to RoW instead of the FCC. I do not have the _ar9300FillCapabilityInfo (Unknown Locale) enabled because it was disabled by default. Do I need to enable it? I do not have any country code displayed. By the way I'm from Italy so I think that I need to "inject" the ETSI locale instead of FCC. Can I inject it with some KextToPatch?

@NB96,

I'm glad you found a way to make KextToPatch patches work.   :) 

If you want to set locale to ETSI, just enable _ar9300FillCapabilityInfo (Unknown Locale) and change "6A" of "C6831609 00006A" to "37", which is "C6831609 000037" in your case...

-----

ETSI: 37

FCC: 64

APAC: 65

RoW: 6A

• Like 1

It is Mac 64bit so x86_64. I have understood where the clover (Uknown locale) replace the code but I can't figure out what hex insert to combine with the locale hex. I'm very new with object c and the problem is that is too similar to c but different so sometime I get lost. The ASM is clear but I have only found where the value of the locale and country is copied into a variable but I do not know what value correspond to what country

@chunnan trie the Clover Patches but they make no network appear on the wifi network lists.

Ah, and I wasn't using vanilla AirPortAtheros40.kext (I didn't found the Vanilla one)

Now I get it, the country code is setted by the wifi you're connected to.

@ovflowd you can get the original kext by mounting the recovery partition and then go to com.apple.recovery.boot and mount the BaseSystem.dmg and then go to the S/L/E of that mounted drive. You need to see hidden file so, before you do what I said, open the terminal and use "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" then "killall Finder". Oh if you need to know your recovery partition use the command "diskutil list" and then mount your partition with the command "diskutil mount /dev/diskXsX" where X stand for your drive and parition finded with the precedent command

• Like 1

@NB96,

I'm glad you found a way to make KextToPatch patches work.   :) 

If you want to set locale to ETSI, just enable _ar9300FillCapabilityInfo (Unknown Locale) and change "6A" of "C6831609 00006A" to "37", which is "C6831609 000037" in your case...

-----

ETSI: 37

FCC: 64

APAC: 65

RoW: 6A

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you do this conversion?

@chunnann I've noticed that if I use your v5 instead of the vanilla driver the wifi is even more stable. With the vanilla sometimes it disconnect itself, with your v5 it seams to maintain the connection. Of corse I've tested the v5 and the vanilla with your KextToPatch otherwise my wifi doesn't work. 

Sorry, I have an Atheros AR5BMD222 (Atheros AR9462, vendor 168C, device 0034). I would like to check v5 kext with Sierra 10.12.4 but I don't know what I have to write into config.pplist, KextsToPatch section.

Please, can you tell it to me (just copy and paste here in a post)?

Thank you, I will tell you if it works for me :)

EDIT: I found plist here, sorry.

Try this way. Download the v5, copy AirPortAtheros40.kext under Contents\Plugins of IO80211Family.kext (in the S/L/E folder). Apply the KextToPatch of chunnann in your config.plist of clover. Rebuild the cache with this three commands: sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ then sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ and finally sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ . Reboot and you will find that your wifi works.

• Like 1