Display doesn't wake from sleep (AMD Radeon 7970)

Junker92

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently installed El Capitan with Clover following the "Installation Guide" on tonymacx. Everything is working except that my monitor doesn't wake up after my computer goes to sleep. I can hear that my system system is waking. Fans start spinning and all of my connected USB devices, like mouse and keyboard, gets power again. But the display stays black.

I don't have this problem when using my integrated graphics.

This is what I've tried so far:

• Clover configurator settings: All different darkwake settings, neverhibernate, SlpSmiAtWake, Inject ATI
  • Hibernate mode=0, 3 and 25 (currently 0)
  • I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
  • System.log doesn't show anything of value during wake up

Gigabyte B75M-D3H, B75 1155
Gigabyte Radeon HD7970
Intel Core i5-3450 - 4 threads / 3,1GHz / 6MB / Socket 1155 (Boxed)
16 GB RAM
WiFi TP-Link TL-WDN4800

Firstly do a proper installation. Tonymacx86 tools are not good resource to build a fine hackintosh.

About waking from sleep, the only way to get it working (on El Capitan & Radeon) is to set Primary GPU to IGPU in your BIOS settings (which basically means a blind boot).

Firstly do a proper installation. Tonymacx86 tools are not good resource to build a fine hackintosh.

About waking from sleep, the only way to get it working (on El Capitan & Radeon) is to set Primary GPU to IGPU in your BIOS settings (which basically means a blind boot).

Thank you, that did it!

It's not a perfect solution though. Do you know why it has to be this way?

Will consider not using tonymacx after reading about his profit interests!

Thank you, that did it!

It's not a perfect solution though. Do you know why it has to be this way?

Will consider not using tonymacx after reading about his profit interests!

The reason is Apple has changed the way Radeon Power Management works on El Capitan. Nobody knows why it is not working on PCs when PEG is set to Primary (hacked cards have wake working on genuine Mac Pros, despite every MP older than 2013 doesn't have IGPU). In short, perfect solution does not exist for now. If you want more specific info on this, I recommend you to look into this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308025-no-graphics-usb-audio-after-wake/

My advice on that is not to waste time and have working wake like it is for now. I have tried many, many potential solutions including kext mods, framebuffer edits, DSDT mods, different SMBIOSes, different bootloaders (with Ozmozis included) and the only thing that worked is Primary IGPU. I am afraid that without knowing ASM and actually looking into things the graphics kext is doing during wake, it is not possible to fix it another way. Of course, since you have 7970, you can try to mess with Yosemite, but if memory serves Yosemite from 10.10.3 up to newest also has problems with AMD GPUs. 

• 3 weeks later...