What New Laptop Should I Buy To Install El Capitan?

pkdesign

14 posts in this topic

I have been searching high and low for a buyer's guide of sorts to purchase a laptop to install El Capitan on. Most of the guides I have seen are already too old and don’t include the best options for El Capitan. Or are they the same as they were for Yosemite?

So dear Insanely Mac users, if you could go out and buy a laptop to install El Capitan on that would be the closest thing to an OOB experience, which laptop would you buy?

I know, I know, it won't be perfect, but what would be the closet one?

Thanks!

For laptop, model number is not quite exactly reflex the chip id. This will make your experience extremly different.

I recommend you go to the shop and ask to run tools such as CPU-Z or HWinfo64 on the exact laptop you want to buy.

Then export the hardware report and find the guide for each vendor id, product id of all hardware components

• Like 1

For laptop, model number is not quite exactly reflex the chip id. This will make your experience extremly different.

I recommend you go to the shop and ask to run tools such as CPU-Z or HWinfo64 on the exact laptop you want to buy.

Then export the hardware report and find the guide for each vendor id, product id of all hardware components

Good tip  :D

I totally forgot about Ven/Dev IDs, sorry @pkdesign  :blush:

• Like 1

I would go with a Dell Laptop, since the bios will not be locked for flashing (customized bios that is) and is compatible with unix. 

HP seems to do well also, and there is a lot of support for it in the OSX scene.

A specific model... Hard to say. 

• 4 weeks later...

FYI for anyone who cares, I bought a HP ProBook 450 G2 and replaced the WiFi card with an Azurewave AW-CE123H (Broadcom BCM4352). I used RehabMan's brilliant scripts at that other site to install and 99.9% of everything works exactly as it should. I'd post a URL but we know how that goes over here. The only thing that doesn’t is the WiFi light remains amber when connected to WiFi but that is a purely cosmetic issue.

I was hoping people would post what they bought and if it worked and what didn't. Perhaps how hard it was to do, point people to the best install guide rather than having to search all over the place for that info. Hopefully future readers of this thread may contribute that information.

Big shout out to RehabMan who is fantastic and an extremely valuable asset to the hackintosh community.

Good luck with your laptop builds.

• Like 1

FYI for anyone who cares, I bought a HP ProBook 450 G2 and replaced the WiFi card with an Azurewave AW-CE123H (Broadcom BCM4352). I used RehabMan's brilliant scripts at that other site to install and 99.9% of everything works exactly as it should. I'd post a URL but we know how that goes over here. The only thing that doesn’t is the WiFi light remains amber when connected to WiFi but that is a purely cosmetic issue.

I was hoping people would post what they bought and if it worked and what didn't. Perhaps how hard it was to do, point people to the best install guide rather than having to search all over the place for that info. Hopefully future readers of this thread may contribute that information.

Big shout out to RehabMan who is fantastic and an extremely valuable asset to the hackintosh community.

Good luck with your laptop builds.

do you have a windows partition? booting windows usually cures the amber light in my zBook. Actually it was mandatory the first time, after changing the card (intel to DW1560) radio would not power up in OSX until I booted windows 7, god knows why. I suppose the windows driver cleaned some pipes in the BIOS :) . fixed the light/button as well.

I do have a Windows 10 partition, and yes the light works properly when booted into Windows. Unfortunately when I boot back into El Capitan, the light stays amber (and doesn’t do anything when pressed. Nor does the sound button). But like I said, everything works 100% so I'm not that upset. :D

do you have a windows partition? booting windows usually cures the amber light in my zBook. Actually it was mandatory the first time, after changing the card (intel to DW1560) radio would not power up in OSX until I booted windows 7, god knows why. I suppose the windows driver cleaned some pipes in the BIOS :) . fixed the light/button as well.

Okay, maybe it's because you said something, but last night while installing some apps I noticed the light was now white and hasn't gone back to amber since! :wink_anim:

Ghosts in the machine I guess!