Need build advice (Skylake vs Haswell)

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m trying to upgrade my desktop into a full working hackintosh. 
Primary target of the build is iOS App Development. So I will be using Xcode most of the time.
But I want to build a solid Hackintosh, so that I don’t have to switch to Windows for watching movies or using photoshop. 

I’m stuck between two choices. 

Currently most of the components in my PC is compatible with a hackintosh.

Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 6850 1 GB DDR5
SSD : Samsung 840 Evo
RAM : GSkill RipJawsX 4 GB + 4 GB 1600 MHz 
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
PSU : Cooler Master GX 550
Monitor : AOC e2243Fw2k (2 HDMI Ports)
Wifi Adapter : Dlink DWA 131 Nano USB Adapter

The only components that won’t work are my MoBo and Processor. 
Asus M5A97 and AMD FX 6100. I tried installing El Capitan with Custom AMD Kernel.

I can install it, but it won’t boot and I’m fed up after many retries.

So I’m going to buy a new Mother Board and Processor.

Now, I have found a stable 10.11.4 build from OSX86 Wiki page. 

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.11.4

Motherboards : Asus H97-Plus / Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 / Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H

Processor : Intel Core i5-4460

My plan was to buy Intel i5-4460. Then tonymacx86 has updated the Customac build section in April. 

Now the recommended processor is Skylake. But if I opt for Skylake, I’l have to change my CPU Cooler and Ram as well, which I think won’t be much of a difference.

Tom’s Hardware is saying, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is compatible with LGA 1151 Socket
Anybody tried this on Skylake?

Skylake has a definite advantage over Haswell in terms of processing power and power consumption.
DDR4 RAM also provides a performance boost, I think.

But I think 4th Gen is the most stable one for hackintosh currently. But the next upgrade of Mac is gonna unleash the full power of Skylake.

So my question is, should I stay with Haswell (i5 4460) or should I switch to a Skylake build (i5 6400 / i5 6500)? The thing is, both are priced almost same in India.

Also, will there be a problem in using PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card in PCI-E 3.0 slot? 
I know its backward compatible. But, will there be any issues with mackintosh due to that?

I’m a hardcore gamer too. So I would prefer to invest in a MoBo with M.2 port and PCI Express 3.0 that supports DirectX 12 to make it future proof for 3 more years.
Asus H97-Plus has M.2 slot, but it supports only DX 11.

Does El Capitan work flawlessly in Skylake? My primary focus is on a perfectly working Hackintosh. Gaming is secondary.

I have downloaded the latest El Capitan build through App Store yesterday.

Is this 10.11.4? Or do I have to install a combo update to get to 10.11.4?

Overall, the question is whether I should stick to Haswell or go of Skylake?