[Guide][Deprecated] Installing OS X 10.11.4-10.12.3 on Surface Book

cydia2020

192 posts in this topic

Hi,
Recently I purchased a Microsoft Surface Book (1st Gen) with dedicated graphics, there are no detailed written up step-by-step guides on this machine yet so I think I am gonna be the first one to post.

This guide is not being recommended by its author, as the outcome is usually janky and unstable, most of the basic functions of your Surface will not work in macOS

Please consider the consequence before proceeding. Thank you

******謝絕轉載謝謝配合******

******Please do not repost, thanks******

******転載禁止です。ご協力をお願いします。*******

Guide is deprecated as I do not own the hardware any longer. Although you might have some luck with newer macOS versions if you do some digging.

Disclaimer: you are responsible for what you do, please proceed with care

Works
Keyboard & Trackpad

1. Gesture does not work
  2. Pointer does not move when holding down a Surface Keyboard key

SD card reader,
USB 3.0 ports,
Sound
PCIe SSD
Intel HD 520 Graphics works perfect on 10.11.4
mDP video out
Long press power key brings up the power menu
Brightness
Screen turns off when the lid is shut

Doesn't work
NVidia dGPU

iGP is buggy after upgrading to 10.12, maybe Lilu.kext can correct this
Touch Screen
Wireless (Wi-Fi & Bluetooth)
Volume rocker

Battery status (does work if you want to put some work into it)

What Works for 10.12
Everything for 10.11 :-)

First Step: Installing a Virtual Machine
You will need a virtual machine or a real Mac in order to get the installation thumb drive ready, setup process for the virtual machine is relatively easy, but does require some of your time and some basic computer knowledge.

I will not go into details on these steps as there are plenty online

Second Step: Prepare Your Installation Media
You will need an actual Mac or a virtual machine to make this possible, as installers can only be obtained from the App Store.

• You'll need to download the Mac OS 10.11.x installation App from this link
  • For macOS 10.12 please go to this link
  • Open Disk Utility. Select the USB Drive and format it as Mac OS X Extended (Journal-ed), Name it whatever you want. Now, open terminal, enter the following command, this is going to take roughly 4 minutes on an USB 3.0 drive or 20-30 minutes on an USB 2.0 drive
  • For 10.11
    sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/PARTITION NAME --applicationpath "/Applicatons/Install OS X El Capitan.app" --nointeraction
  • The previous method won't work on 10.12, use the guide below
  • Download Clover from Clover Official Download Page
  • Install Clover by choosing "Install UEFI Version only, install to the EFI partition of your USB Drive, Install Themes and Driver64UEFI(unselect CsmVideoDxe-64)
  • After the process is complete, you should see a partition called EFI mounted in your Finder, that is the EFI partition of your thumb drive
  • (Copy the EFI folder from Installing OS X to the EFI Partition) only do this if it didn't happen automatically
  • Download SurfaceDriver.zip and follow the instructions in ReadMe.txt

++++++++++Guide for 10.12 USB Media Creation++++++++++

10.12+ only

1. Show hidden files by executing this command in terminal
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

2. Navigate to /Application/Install macOS Sierra/Contents/SharedSupport and mount InstallESD.dmg

3. Open "Disk Utility", restore the USB drive with Basesystem.dmg (hidden, unhide with the aforementioned command) in the mounted DMG file.

4. Delete the old symlink files in the USB Drive before proceeding. Copy /Packages in the mounted DMG file to the restored USB's /System/Installation directory.

5. Copy basesystem.dmg and basesystem.chunklist to the root directory of your USB drive

Third Step: Installing OS X / macOS
Please partition your drive first, I wouldn't go into details about how to do this, but your EFI partition should be at least 200MB, otherwise macOS installation would fail

Now, we can start installing macOS, you should plug in an external keyboard, a mouse, and your thumb drive containing your installation files, use an USB Hub if not enough ports are available, after finishing the boot process, you should see the welcome page, choose the language you prefer and proceed
Choose Disk Utility, select your targeting partition and click erase, format as OS X Extended (Journal-ed), then, exit Disk Utility and proceed with the installation as per usual

You might need to boot into macOS again to fully complete the installation

The Final Process: Make your experience better

You don't have to patch the keyboard driver for 10.12.1 and/or above
For 10.12, please install the kexts in 10.12 "install" folder located in the driver pack
Making the keyboard works (10.11 only)

1. Navigate to /System/Library/Extension
  2. Copy IOUSBFamily.kext to your desktop
  3. Right click on it and choose show package content, go to /Contents/PlugIns
  4. Right click on IOUSBHIDDriver and choose show package content, go to /Contents
  5. Open Info.plist using softwares like: PlistEditor Pro, or XCode
  6. Navigate to IOKitPersonalities
  7. Copy Generic Keyboard and right click on IOKitPersonalities
  8. Select "Paste as a child"
  9. Expand Generic Keyboard 2
  10. change the value of bInterfaceProtocol to 0
  11. change the value of bInterfaceSubclass to 3
  12. change USBCompatibilityMatch to YES (doesn't have this on 10.11)
  13. save the file and open Kext Utilities
  14. Drag and Drop the kext in to it, enter password and after it finished reboot, then you should have a working keyboard

Install Clover to the Internal SSD

To install clover to your internal ssd, you will need the clover installer, there was a link above

1. Install clover as normal, install to your macOS system drive
  2. Use UEFI, Install themes and Drivers, unselect CsmVideoDxe
  3. Copy the drivers, details above
  4. Use BOOTICE x64 under windows, mount EFI under windows, Select UEFI tab, add a new boot entry, navigate to EFI:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi, name it clover bootloader (or whatever you like).
  5. Go to Surface UEFI, unselect Windows Boot Manager under Boot tab, select and drag CLOVER to the first position of the UEFI boot sequence,

You'll need a Wi-Fi dongle to get online or you can use USB Tether

You'll also need a Bluetooth dongle to get BT working

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks to
LonelyTV
MeuPRodrigo
maj1es2tic
Pike

and all of you

Edited by cydia2020
clean up

Changelog

For now on, you can download the standalone update file here

Please remove the original file before processing

...(Don't remember)

Tuesday, 2016-08-16, Add new nvme driver

Sunday, 2016-08-21 0:04am AEST, Add brightness

Sunday, 2016-08-21 10.18pm AEST, Let DSDT recognize the keyboard battery by the original tablet battery

Thursday, 2016-08-25 10.11am AEST, Fixed the problem of no sound after sleep

confirmed useless sorry for the data you cost lol

Sunday, 2016-08-28 7.53pm, combine 10.11 and 10.12 config into 1 and add support for 10.12

10.12.zip

10.11.plist.zip

10.12.plist.zip

DSDT.zip

DSDT_BAT.zip

CodecCommander.kext.zip

There's a EFI Driver in the Clover ISO verison, i copied it to my clover folder, i don't know why it didn't install when i first installing clover :D

I'm glad that worked for you!  Unfortunately, that doesn't solve the problem for the SP4, but thanks for the info.

DSDT can be very specific to a particular machine, can you link the guide so I can see what patch was applied? Thanks!

Here's the post.http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309890-guide-1011-el-capitan-on-the-surface-pro-4/

what exact kext or efi driver that makes internal card reader works ?????

I don't think that there's a driver make it works since it's on USB

mine is connected on internal usb3 too and it is realtek Chip how about yours i think it is realtek too

photo_2016_04_20_09_41_00.jpg

I dunno yet, I am gonna check that, I am working on NVidia driver now

mine is connected on internal usb3 too and it is realtek Chip how about yours i think it is realtek too

photo_2016_04_20_09_41_00.jpg

No, it shows Microsoft Corp, so I got a Microsoft Corp one, not realtek

i have a surface book and will give it a try, are you dual booting ? 

Yeah, i am dual booting without problems, but NVMe driver seems have some probabilities, sometimes work but sometimes don't please don't break it, if you break it, it breaks forever 

thanks for the information.. couple of questions.  How would you break the NVME driver also I assume the touchscreen not working ? 

The NVMe driver... I don't know exactly how, i detached and recadached then, when i reboot, it breaks. :( so, it might be the problem of detach in OS X\

​Because TPM, after disabling TPM, mine works again :lol: 

Thanks, il lgive it a try later today.. With your instructions at some point can you partition the drive to give space for Mac to double boot ? I have done hakintosh before but I have not dualbooted.. hope you can help with this.  I have the core i7 varaint of surfacebook, how good is performance ?

Thanks, il lgive it a try later today.. With your instructions at some point can you partition the drive to give space for Mac to double boot ? I have done hakintosh before but I have not dualbooted.. hope you can help with this. I have the core i7 varaint of surfacebook, how good is performance ?

I have 60G for Mac, and the rest is for Windows, the performance is pretty well, I'm going to patch the dsdt today see if it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks in part to this guide, I am now triple booting Windows / OS X / Ubuntu. I'm posting from OS X now.

Some comments:

- To repartition my drive I used Paragon Partition Manager 14 Free Edition

- I used EasyUEFI instead of BOOTICE

- Graphics artifacts mainly in the top menu bar after a few restarts, solved it by changing the color profile to the sRGB-IEC61966-2.1

- Annoyance: After installing VoodooHDA, headphone jack is seen as a microphone jack. Plug earphones in they become essentially microphones.

- Had an old 2008 pre-unibody macbook pro that I'm not using, a combination of Mac cloning and Rehabman's nullethernet.kext fixed my app store, iMessage. I can now take calls, send texts from my Surface Book (using my iPhone of course).... etc

- Annoyance: screen goes to sleep if I don't use it after a while. Changing power settings does not solve this. Thankfully though it has no issues waking up if I touch a key.

Would appreciate if people kept this thread alive by posting their experiences too. I will update if I come across any fixes for some of the issues remaining.

All in all, it is in a very usable state. I am happy with it. Thanks to this guide and the magic of triple boot, my Surface Book is now a lean mean software development machine. B)  (Computer Science student here)

Thanks in part to this guide, I am now triple booting Windows / OS X / Ubuntu. I'm posting from OS X now.

Some comments:

- To repartition my drive I used Paragon Partition Manager 14 Free Edition

- I used EasyUEFI instead of BOOTICE

- Graphics artifacts mainly in the top menu bar after a few restarts, solved it by changing the color profile to the sRGB-IEC61966-2.1

- Annoyance: After installing VoodooHDA, headphone jack is seen as a microphone jack. Plug earphones in they become essentially microphones.

- Had an old 2008 pre-unibody macbook pro that I'm not using, a combination of Mac cloning and Rehabman's nullethernet.kext fixed my app store, iMessage. I can now take calls, send texts from my Surface Book (using my iPhone of course).... etc

- Annoyance: screen goes to sleep if I don't use it after a while. Changing power settings does not solve this. Thankfully though it has no issues waking up if I touch a key.

Would appreciate if people kept this thread alive by posting their experiences too. I will update if I come across any fixes for some of the issues remaining.

All in all, it is in a very usable state. I am happy with it. Thanks to this guide and the magic of triple boot, my Surface Book is now a lean mean software development machine. B)  (Computer Science student here)

Yeah, so the headphone jack will not actually work, I uninstalled the OS X but I am still using it on my surface pro 3 since Ubuntu mounting the HFS partition will actually mess the whole thing up, but i use Ubuntu as my main system so that dual boot Ubuntu with windows instead of triple boot will be better

Mirone has a working AppleHDA patched for Surface Pro 4, it might work on Surface Book as well as they both have the same codec ID.

Confirmed to work:

Internal speaker

Headphone

Internal Mic

External Mic

Auto switch

How to install:

Remove VoodooHDA and AppleHDADisabler

Restore vanilla AppleHDA to /S/L/E if it was removed

Install AppleHDA_ALC298 to /S/L/E

Repair permission and rebuild cache

Set DSDT layout-id to 3 under HDEF (rename from HDAS) or Clover Config.plist

Add to Clover Config.plist under KextToPatch the following for AppleHDA binary

8419D411 -> 9802EC10

8508EC10 -> 00000000

8319D411 -> 00000000

SurfacePro4_ALC298.zip

Hi Cydia have issues with the instructions... I crated a new partition in my surface book (60 gigs) I also created the USB drive with my mac, I am having problems with the second step,  I pressed win+x and did diskpart list volume, the volume I created was 1 did select volume 1 then assign, I don't get a new disk called system... Not sure what I am doing wrong.